Seth Greenberg on Shonn Miller | The Boneyard

Seth Greenberg on Shonn Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...college-basketball-coach-toughest-job-2015-16

Not sure if already posted, but here you go:

2. Fifth-year, graduate transfers are becoming more prevalent in college hoops, and there are plenty this season. Which one will make the biggest impact?

Fraschilla: He may not be the best, but Dylan Ennis at Oregon is the most important. People there say he's playing great. He has the opportunity to step right in for second-round NBA draft pick Joe Young. It's a style of play that fits Ennis. I wouldn't say he was held back at Villanova, because he averaged 10 points per game, but Nova has three or four point guards now. He would have been in a difficult situation. So he walks right into Oregon for Dana Altman. They have a Canadian connection with Dillon Brooks and now Ennis. I expect him to be an All-Pac-12 player, in part because of playing time but also because of Dana's free, open style of play. Ennis is the perfect fit for a school that needed his strengths.

Dakich: A lot of it has to do with opportunity. I like Ennis, but another guy who fits well is Johnny Hill at Purdue. He's going to get plenty of opportunities playing with all those big guys. All he has to do is play really hard. I would anticipate him making a big impact on a really good team.

Greenberg: Louisville's Damion Lee is going to have to score buckets. They lost Montrezl Harrell, Chris Jones, Terry Rozier -- someone has to score, and we know Rick Pitino will free up his guards. So Lee will probably have the best stats in terms of numbers. He'll probably play 36 minutes per game.

But, as a piece to a team, UConn's Shonn Miller can make a huge jump. He's a good rebounder and he's a good passer. He'll fit in with the rest of that team. Just as Fran and Dan said, it's all about fit and opportunity, and Miller brings a skill set that UConn desperately needs to be an elite team. He'll make a big difference.

Reaction Score
I'm still bummed that Ennis didn't go to Temple. He would have made such a monster difference for them.

Reaction Score
Dakich probably spit out his coffee reading that , still confused by the idea that recruits and coaches alike want to be in storrs ct.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the AAC would be a nice little conference with Jalen Brunson, Austin Nichols and a tournament eligible SMU.

Reaction Score
Does Dakich's world not extend beyond North, South, East, or West of the Indiana state borders?

Yes it does.

However Dickitch is an idiot so his geography doesnt matter.

He's still living in the 70's and thinks IU is elite and not UCONN. Thinks some of our titles are flukes.
Guy is a clueless idiot. Pay him no mind.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes it does.

However Dickitch is an idiot so his geography doesnt matter.

He's still living in the 70's and thinks IU is elite and not UCONN. Thinks some of our titles are flukes.
Guy is a clueless idiot. Pay him no mind.
His name says it all then.

Reaction Score
A title is never; ever a fluke. Having to win 6 games against increasing harder competition is one tough order.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dakich probably spit out his coffee reading that , still confused by the idea that recruits and coaches alike want to be in storrs ct.

Dakich still thinks Shabazz isn't as good as Scotty Wilbekin. He's clearly an idiot.

Reaction Score
Shonn Miller has been ballyhooed as an elite defender, rebounder and shotblocker. I have no argument with that. His offensive abilities have not been talked about nearly enough. In 10 games against top flight D1 competition (South Carolina, Wisconsin, Arizona State, Duke, Vandy, Harvard, Syracuse and Penn State) over his last two seasons Miller has averaged a little more than 14 points per game as well as averaging 7.6 rebounds per game. What makes this statistic more impressive is that Cornell had very few offensive options so Miller was the focal point of the defense and was often double teamed. He had a green light to do whatever he wished and often hung around the 3 point line where he shot only 28%. I suspect that KO will limit his three point shooting which will mean he will be around the hoop more and grab even more rebounds. As UConn has many more offensive options than Cornell, teams will not be able to focus on Shonn and his offensive game will shine. I'm betting that UCONN fans will be surprised with his offensive output.

Reaction Score
Shonn Miller has been ballyhooed as an elite defender, rebounder and shotblocker. I have no argument with that. His offensive abilities have not been talked about nearly enough. In 10 games against top flight D1 competition (South Carolina, Wisconsin, Arizona State, Duke, Vandy, Harvard, Syracuse and Penn State) over his last two seasons Miller has averaged a little more than 14 points per game as well as averaging 7.6 rebounds per game. What makes this statistic more impressive is that Cornell had very few offensive options so Miller was the focal point of the defense and was often double teamed. He had a green light to do whatever he wished and often hung around the 3 point line where he shot only 28%. I suspect that KO will limit his three point shooting which will mean he will be around the hoop more and grab even more rebounds. As UConn has many more offensive options than Cornell, teams will not be able to focus on Shonn and his offensive game will shine. I'm betting that UCONN fans will be surprised with his offensive output.
I really hope you become the @hyperthink in regards to Shonn Miller. Feel free to post more often.

I'm excited to see Miller on the floor, but it'll be tough for me to get a great read on his game until I see him suited up as a Husky. Everyone talks about his elite defense and rebounding, and if he only provides that he'll still be a great fit. But I think he's got more to his game than that, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he'll perform with other high-level players around him.

Reaction Score
@cornellball welcome honorary husky fan this year. Take a look at this thread if you haven't seen it yet. We are definitely in love with his offensive game too:

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/shonn-miller-cornell-game-film.77513/#post-1340377
At Cornell fans brought signs reading "Miller Time" and yelled the same after a block or dunk. I'm not sure if Shonn was old enough to realize that "Miller Time" also referred to the Miller Brewing Company commercials of yesteryear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom