Seth Davis Piece on Dan Hurley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seth Davis Piece on Dan Hurley

Reaction Score
Just when I thought I couldn't love a coach more....This man is special and we are all so lucky to have him lead this program. As someone who knows the feelings he talks about, I couldn't be more proud of the growth he has made for himself and in return the growth he has instilled in these young men. Anyone can call themselves a coach, but not everyone can be a leader like Dan Hurley.

Can't wait to see what the future has in store for the Huskies!

Reaction Score
I respect Hurley for his openness. Any athlete knows that feeling of how the small negatives overshadow the biggest positives. IMO, this article reveals why Hurley will likely not be one of those coaches that coaches into his late 60s and 70s. He will eventually want/have to step away and find an alternative way to live a happy healthy life. It also shows how he is most comfortable when on familiar turf and around people he knows well. This is why I expect him to coach at UConn as long as he wants. Taking $10M per year from a B1G or SEC school and having the additional pressure to produce could have very negative implications.

Reaction Score
Same. Was dealing with a major health issue, then in addition was diagnosed with cancer. As a result had my first anxiety attack followed by a depression period. Was/are dealing with all 3 things at once. Hit me like a ton of bricks out of nowhere. Debilitating at times. Comes back periodically to varying degrees. The struggle is real. Nothing for 51 years and then BOOM. Jay Glazer is another public person who has struggled and used his platform to inform and help people

Kevin Love and Demar Derozan too. I had an experience similar to Love and did not know how to process and seeing somebody so successful openly discuss their travails definitely helps. All the respect in the world to Coach.

Reaction Score
One of things that was interesting to me was that he hates flying..I wonder how he would have liked uconn being in the big 12 and flying over the country

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Wow what a great read from Seth Davis. This quote really stuck with me:

“He has so much fear inside him, even now. Sometimes it’s crippling,” Andrea says. “He’s just so afraid of people thinking that he's screwing around because he won. So he’s going double-hard.”

Hurley is just wired different. He cares so much about his players, and does everything he can to support his guys and won, it's easy to see why guys love playing for him. Kudos to him on his transparency with his struggles.

We're so fortunate to have him.

Reaction Score
I remember when there were a few names floating around for the Uconn job after KO but it seemed the majority of people especially here wanted DH. He has lived up to every expectation and then some. I suppose it was always obvious he was the right guy. I knew he was but i must admit i did not think he`d get a chip so quickly. He has been unreal. Hope he spends the next 30 years here.

Reaction Score
Same. Was dealing with a major health issue, then in addition was diagnosed with cancer. As a result had my first anxiety attack followed by a depression period. Was/are dealing with all 3 things at once. Hit me like a ton of bricks out of nowhere. Debilitating at times. Comes back periodically to varying degrees. The struggle is real. Nothing for 51 years and then BOOM. Jay Glazer is another public person who has struggled and used his platform to inform and help people
I hear that. That sounds rough. I had a similar situation. I had cancer, Lyme disease at the tail end of treatment and my fiance left me in the middle of chemo, all in 2011. I remember I drank so much one night after she left that I was so hung over the next morning when I was going in for the next treatment that the oncologist said it was better to delay the next treatment. Stupid on my part, I know. For another treatment, I had to be hospitalized because of a high fever which is super dangerous during chemo. Rough year, with the only silver lining being Kemba and the kids! (and how supportive my mm, family, and 3 friends were).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's just a tremendous coach and I had no idea of the personal struggles. Just driven. We are so freaking lucky. Hope he cuts himself some slack so he can stay mentally in a good place. And there will be team struggles this season, so I hope also the fans can be realistic.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I just think this article is such a great read. I am even much more impressed with DH after reading this. What an inspiration. I wish I had words to describe how I feel. Truly a remarkable person and an outstanding example to everyone. We are so blessed that he is our coach.

Reaction Score
I have to admit when I watched the Real Sports segment I thought of Jimmy Peirsall. Some of the older readers moght get it.
Did Jimmy receive any help during his time in the majors? I was young, and just thought "oh well, crazy guy does crazy things, but hey, pretty good ballplayer." Didn't know anything about mental health back then.

Reaction Score
Did Jimmy receive any help during his time in the majors? I was young, and just thought "oh well, crazy guy does crazy things, but hey, pretty good ballplayer." Didn't know anything about mental health back then.
There was a movie called Fear Strikes Out. He had what at the time was called a nervous breakdown. He spent time in a mental hospital before playing in the majors again. The gist of the movie was him not being able to live up to his father’s expectations. I believe the movie was based on a book.

Reaction Score
There was a movie called Fear Strikes Out. He had what at the time was called a nervous breakdown. He spent time in a mental hospital before playing in the majors again. The gist of the movie was him not being able to live up to his father’s expectations. I believe the movie was based on a book.
He had bipolar disorder, they gave him electroshock treatment. When my uncle would always skip school and had behavioral problems as a kid doctors strapped him down and gave him electroshock. It was a different time.

Reaction Score
He had bipolar disorder, they gave him electroshock treatment. When my uncle would always skip school and had behavioral problems as a kid doctors strapped him down and gave him electroshock. It was a different time.
I was only comparing his comment about him(Coach Hurley) feeling he let his dad down as a player.

Reaction Score
What a great read. I love and respect our Coach! Anyone know where hangs down the Jersey Shore? That’s where I am.

Reaction Score
His book: Fear strikes out
Look I don’t know the extent or severity of Danny’s situation based on that short article but I read Fear Strikes Out and saw the film. Piersall was in an extreme and totally incapacitating debilitating condition for a long time. Don’t think that’s Hurley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom