Seth Davis on Opening Win | The Boneyard

Seth Davis on Opening Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice to see us included in this write-up...

http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...eason-duke-kentucky-north-carolina-iowa-state

This game illustrates the value of watching a game as opposed to just reading the box score. If you went by the numbers, you wouldn’t notice Daniel Hamilton. He was the only UConn starter who failed to reach double figures (7 points, 3-for-7 from the field). But watching how he runs the Huskies’ offense from the small forward position led me to believe he could be headed for an AAC POY-caliber season. Hamilton finished with nine assists to go along with his nine rebounds. He showed poise, confidence and a high basketball IQ. No wonder he is widely considered to be the best NBA prospect on this team.

Amidah Brimah is not a traditional post scorer, but he plays with great energy. He finished with 18 points, many of which came off lob feeds and offensive putbacks. UConn is also going to depend on generating points from the foul line, so the fact that they shot 32 free throws (making 23) is encouraging. Both graduate transfers,Sterling Gibbs and Shonn Miller, did damage in the second half, but the game was well out of hand by that point.

Miller is intriguing—he’s an undersized power forward, but he is strong and a lot more athletic than I anticipated. Gibbs looked out of sync in the first half, as if he were trying too hard. But he eventually settled down, got fouled repeatedly on drives to the rim, and finished with a game-high 20 points. Kevin Ollie will be able to use his bench a lot more than he did last season, although it looks like there will be a pretty significant dropoff in production when he does.

Reaction Score
Nice to see us included in this write-up...

http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...eason-duke-kentucky-north-carolina-iowa-state

This game illustrates the value of watching a game as opposed to just reading the box score. If you went by the numbers, you wouldn’t notice Daniel Hamilton. He was the only UConn starter who failed to reach double figures (7 points, 3-for-7 from the field). But watching how he runs the Huskies’ offense from the small forward position led me to believe he could be headed for an AAC POY-caliber season. Hamilton finished with nine assists to go along with his nine rebounds. He showed poise, confidence and a high basketball IQ. No wonder he is widely considered to be the best NBA prospect on this team.

Amidah Brimah is not a traditional post scorer, but he plays with great energy. He finished with 18 points, many of which came off lob feeds and offensive putbacks. UConn is also going to depend on generating points from the foul line, so the fact that they shot 32 free throws (making 23) is encouraging. Both graduate transfers,Sterling Gibbs and Shonn Miller, did damage in the second half, but the game was well out of hand by that point.

Miller is intriguing—he’s an undersized power forward, but he is strong and a lot more athletic than I anticipated. Gibbs looked out of sync in the first half, as if he were trying too hard. But he eventually settled down, got fouled repeatedly on drives to the rim, and finished with a game-high 20 points. Kevin Ollie will be able to use his bench a lot more than he did last season, although it looks like there will be a pretty significant dropoff in production when he does.

I sorta disagree with the dropoff comment. It's true, but I don't think KO will use the bench like he has once we get into the meat of the schedule. I'm sure it's blasphemy to say, but thus far KO is running a platoon style subbing system. So if we just sub out 5 guys, there will be drop off, but if he subs in 1 or 2 guys at a time we will probably see less drop off.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Not many benches don't have a dropoff, and not many have someone like Jalen Adams on it, let alone Facey. Definitely an optimistic look from Davis though.

Reaction Score
Davis clearly likes the team. Thats cool. But whats with the forced premises? Who wouldn't notice 7 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists in the box score? And Gibbs was the leading scorer with 11 points in the first half. Miller had 6 points, 5 boards and 2 blocks. Not quite "doing damage in the 2nd half when the game was already out of hand."

Reaction Score
Wondering if there will ever be a worse player assessment than "Hamilton is a gunner who is only out for his own stats"

Not basketball, but this will always be the gold standard of terrible scouting for me:

I guess I should have nominated Cano in the most overrated prospect thread the other day. That he still gets talked up as some kind of top prospect (not pointing at John here, by the way) amazes me.

I've seen Cano play a lot, and I'm not even sure he'd be a productive Triple-A player. Let's start with his defense; it's brutal. He has terrible footwork and simply lacks any kind of instincts around the bag. There's no way you want him playing up the middle. He might have the raw speed to not be awful in left field, but that's about as kind as I can be regarding his glovework. Offensively, he's a fastball hitter. He sits dead red on every pitch and waits for a mistake. Any good breaking ball or offspeed pitch will have him out in front. He's mostly a gap hitter, lacking the power to drive the ball consistently over the wall. To add insult to injury, he's also a terrible baserunner.

In his prime, I think he could hit .280/.320/.400 while playing awful defense. Yipee.

-David Cameron, February 20, 2005

Cameron isn't a bad guy, and he's admitted he blew this one, but it's still so funny to read now.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Davis clearly likes the team. Thats cool. But whats with the forced premises? Who wouldn't notice 7 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists in the box score? And Gibbs was the leading scorer with 11 points in the first half. Miller had 6 points, 5 boards and 2 blocks. Not quite "doing damage in the 2nd half when the game was already out of hand."

Was about to reply similarly. Not sure how Gibbs appeared to be 'out of sync' or 'trying too hard' with 11 pts at the half to lead the team and only 1 TO the entire game.

I really don't even know if Seth Davis watched the game. His conclusions are primarily box-score based.

The bench comment was also strange. Almost every team's bench is going to be a drop-off... that's why they're on the bench. But for him to say that specifically about OUR bench, which boasts a stud in Adams who would easily be the starting PG at 98% of other D1 schools, seasoned Junior in Facey (who was CERTAINLY productive with 6 pts, 6 reb in 13 min), seasoned senior defender in Nolan, and seasoned senior guard in Calhoun.

Although Davis obviously is higher on us than most, he still had some odd comments to make.

Reaction Score
I sorta disagree with the dropoff comment. It's true, but I don't think KO will use the bench like he has once we get into the meat of the schedule. I'm sure it's blasphemy to say, but thus far KO is running a platoon style subbing system. So if we just sub out 5 guys, there will be drop off, but if he subs in 1 or 2 guys at a time we will probably see less drop off.

There is a huge drop off from our starters to our subs. That having been said, we have three subs (Nolan, Omar and Facey, and I'm not even going to count Cassell's few games as a starter) who were starters in prior years, so the drop off will be to a level that is above what the level for our starters used to be.

Reaction Score
Was about to reply similarly. Not sure how Gibbs appeared to be 'out of sync' or 'trying too hard' with 11 pts at the half to lead the team and only 1 TO the entire game.

I really don't even know if Seth Davis watched the game. His conclusions are primarily box-score based.

The bench comment was also strange. Almost every team's bench is going to be a drop-off... that's why they're on the bench. But for him to say that specifically about OUR bench, which boasts a stud in Adams who would easily be the starting PG at 98% of other D1 schools, seasoned Junior in Facey (who was CERTAINLY productive with 6 pts, 6 reb in 13 min), seasoned senior defender in Nolan, and seasoned senior guard in Calhoun.

Although Davis obviously is higher on us than most, he still had some odd comments to make.

Yes odd sounds right. Weird little article honestly, didn't do too much to figure the game out. "the game was out of hand"? Yes Seth it was as soon as they stepped on the court your point is?

Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Reaction Score
There is a huge drop off from our starters to our subs...
Part of that is on KO, by the way. I didn't like the "wholesale substitution" pattern he sort of dove into, and I'm pretty sure either Gibbs or Hamilton needs to be on the floor at all times.

Reaction Score
I thought Sterling Gibbs played tentatively and let the game flow the first few times he was in the lineup. That is perfectly natural as the NEW guy. That shows his personality and leadership. When put in position, he got to the hoop. He showed some of his 44% Three Point marksmanship; I think as the other guys get used to him, his shots will be more automatic. Not disturbed by the Davis comments. It was a gradual productive upgrade.

Shonn Miller is undersized ... when you compare him to the POWER of Kentucky, UNC, Duke or Kansas. He is Perry Ellis less two inches. But, O My, does he know how to play. And, yes, I do see the Donny Marshall analogy. He is uber-athletic and ready to be a good teammate throughout. Complementary ... but WOW. He brings a lot of what this Team needed (and as does Gibbs).

Which brings me to Jalen Adams. Give Kevin Ollie and all involved lots of credit to plug Gibbs into that lineup and give Adams the ability to learn both on the court and next to a 5th year. Adams could be playing - like Melo Trimble. We've seen speed and his defensive intensity; but, it is so much better having him come in as a top reserve. The drop-off is there. However, I trust our 8 through 11 guys are far better than all but a few teams. And I think you will see Facey be productive.

Seth did say he was watching multiple games. And no way would he watch 40 minutes of UConn-Maine ... if I were him, I wouldn't. (of course, he's not me, I've seen the tcf_15 twice and many plays 10 times) But, Daniel Hamilton shines. And he could easily have had 16-20 points given where he got with he ball. Instead he got us another 18 points with passes.

We didn't play as well as we could.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Part of that is on KO, by the way. I didn't like the "wholesale substitution" pattern he sort of dove into, and I'm pretty sure either Gibbs or Hamilton needs to be on the floor at all times.

I would guess that KO was experimenting as he should be ... but, I doubt we'll be seeing both SC and OC playing together for significant minutes as the season continues.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Not basketball, but this will always be the gold standard of terrible scouting for me:

Cameron isn't a bad guy, and he's admitted he blew this one, but it's still so funny to read now.

One of my favorites is Charley Rosen on a 17-year-old LeBron James:

At 6-foot-8, 235 pounds, he can have his way among his peers along the baseline and in the pivot, but in the NBA, James will need to be an effective shooter. The problem here is that his release is a tad too low. Also that he fades slightly when he shoots his jumper. The result is that he holds onto the ball too long and will have some trouble shooting in tight quarters.

And what about his poor shooting percentage (40 percent)? He didn't make a jumper until later in the third quarter and then celebrated by banging his fist into his chest. He repeated this foolish routine when he connected on his only other jumper early in the fourth quarter. (The chest beating is supposed to demonstrate how much heart he has.) However, I didn't see any celebration when he arrogantly waved his teammates out of his way and launched an airball.

Yes, James has good hands, quick feet, extraordinary hops, and a lively body. Yes, he's also an outstanding passer. But his defense is atrocious.

His basic defensive stance is much too upright. When defending a perimeter player, his hands are in his pockets. When his team tried a full-court press, one of Oak Hill's guards absolutely left him in the dust. He always looks for the easy way out, making perfunctory swipes at the ball, and gambling on every entry pass. His transition from offense to defense is shameful. Instead of hustling downcourt, he lingers near the ball, hoping for a steal. His post-up defense offers less resistance than a soft summer's breeze. In short, LeBron James can't guard his own shadow.

What other shortcomings did the young hoopling reveal?

A barely adequate left hand.

A shaky behind-the-back dribble going left to right.

What's the one talent he possesses that will survive his entry into the NBA? His court vision and his ability to pass the ball.
In high school, LeBron James might be a man among boys -- but in the NBA, he'll be a boy among men.

Nailed it, Charley.

Reaction Score
I always liked this one from the Belichick-hating Ron Borges:

"On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Shonn Miller is undersized ... when you compare him to the POWER of Kentucky, UNC, Duke or Kansas. He is Perry Ellis less two inches. But, O My, does he know how to play. And, yes, I do see the Donny Marshall analogy. He is uber-athletic and ready to be a good teammate throughout. Complementary ... but WOW. He brings a lot of what this Team needed (and as does Gibbs).

I'd like to see Gibbs and Purvis look for Miller on the pick-and-roll. I thought he was open there a few times but the ball went elsewhere. It will be another weapon in our arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom