Seth Davis in The Athletic - "Buy, sell or hold? The annual Hoop Thoughts Stock Report has all the answers" 1/6/20 | The Boneyard

Seth Davis in The Athletic - "Buy, sell or hold? The annual Hoop Thoughts Stock Report has all the answers" 1/6/20

Reaction Score
UConn: Sell
"I still believe the long-term prospects of this program are good, especially with the move to the Big East next season, but for now the Huskies (9-5, No. 70 KenPom) look overmatched. They just suffered back-to-back road losses at Cincinnati and South Florida by a combined 31 points, and they lost on Nov. 13 at home to a Saint Joseph’s team that has only won one game since then. A home win over Florida on Nov. 17 also doesn’t look nearly as good now as it did then. The only part of the game where UConn is elite is rim protection; it has three players ranked in the top 10 of the AAC in blocks, with 6-9 freshman Akok Akok leading the league at 3.0 per game. But mediocre offense, especially on the perimeter, has been a major problem. The Huskies are 142nd in the country in offensive efficiency, 195th in turnover percentage and 262nd in field goal percentage."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn: Sell
"I still believe the long-term prospects of this program are good, especially with the move to the Big East next season, but for now the Huskies (9-5, No. 70 KenPom) look overmatched. They just suffered back-to-back road losses at Cincinnati and South Florida by a combined 31 points, and they lost on Nov. 13 at home to a Saint Joseph’s team that has only won one game since then. A home win over Florida on Nov. 17 also doesn’t look nearly as good now as it did then. The only part of the game where UConn is elite is rim protection; it has three players ranked in the top 10 of the AAC in blocks, with 6-9 freshman Akok Akok leading the league at 3.0 per game. But mediocre offense, especially on the perimeter, has been a major problem. The Huskies are 142nd in the country in offensive efficiency, 195th in turnover percentage and 262nd in field goal percentage."

Guard play. It should be vastly improved next year.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Need people to know what they are good at and avoid what they aren't good at. Do that and they'll be fine. Hurley needs to add more structure to the offense to get the ball where it needs to be on the court in the hands of the person who should be at that spot.

Reaction Score
In addition to players with more skill, we also need players with some size and muscle. Uconn always looks like they're sending out a team of high school kids to play against men. Hopefully Bouknight, Gaffney, and Akok can bulk up some before next year. We (Uconn) were physically man-handled by Cincinnati and South Florida. It was a classic case of the men against the boys.

Reaction Score
Anyone disagree that we desperately need shooters?

Partly. The putrid FG% is as much a product of the lame offensive sets we've been running, as it is of the actual shooting. You need an offense designed to get good shots before you can be an effective shooter. That doesn't seem to be happening.

Reaction Score
In addition to players with more skill, we also need players with some size and muscle. Uconn always looks like they're sending out a team of high school kids to play against men. Hopefully Bouknight, Gaffney, and Akok can bulk up some before next year. We (Uconn) were physically man-handled by Cincinnati and South Florida. It was a classic case of the men against the boys.
It's pretty far down the list of problems, 2014 we had a lot of string beans. The mental weakness is a way bigger problem than physical weakness, our veterans are the softest group we've had since I've been a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
Shhhhh no the players can't be the reason. Cole and bouknight won't improve the offense, impossible. Andre and sophomore Gaffney creating off the bench will have no impact either. Not with Hurley as head coach.
If Andre comes off the bench we should REALLY get mad at Hurley.

Reaction Score
I can find four other middle aged white guys with decent basketball skill and knowledge on my street, enter to play in the American, and have way better offensive numbers than what this team is currently precipitating. Hoping RJ Cole will be the floor general we need alongside a more developed and experienced Gaffney next year to set an efficient offense next year

Reaction Score
I can find four other middle aged white guys with decent basketball skill and knowledge on my street, enter to play in the American, and have way better offensive numbers than what this team is currently precipitating. Hoping RJ Cole will be the floor general we need alongside a more developed and experienced Gaffney next year to set an efficient offense next year
People need to chill with the "white guy" stuff for their own sakes. It really makes one look ignorant. If you want to use a stereotype for mediocre basketball player just say "Ollie recruit."

I kid.

Reaction Score
gonna call BS on that.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
It's pretty far down the list of problems, 2014 we had a lot of string beans. The mental weakness is a way bigger problem than physical weakness, our veterans are the softest group we've had since I've been a UConn fan.
I agree. Ever look at Rip? How about Kerry Kittles? Rashad? Give me guys with ball skills and quickness who can make shots inside and out. You need some strength, but not everyone needs to be a workout specimen.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
They’re on pace for their worst offensive efficiency since 1997. Worse than the last 2 Ollie years. Unfathomable.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
We're 318th in the country in 2P% and 91st in 3P%
This is a quickness and over-penetration issue. Gilbert is essentially the only one who can get into the lane but he tends to get too deep and then has to try to get a layup through the trees or make a crazy pass. Vital has no handle. Adams isnt quick enough. Polley has zero left hand and does not look comfortable inside the 3 point line at all. Bouk needs to be more invovled and Akok needs strength. It's just not a good recipe to win if our 3s arent falling. They're also streaky shooters aside from Polley.

i also think UConn is now very easy to gameplan for. Let AG shoot. make him beat you from outside. double Carlton if he gets low but try to keep him as far away as possible, keep a guy tight on Polley and dont go under screens with him. then you just have to play normal on vital and akok.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If Andre comes off the bench we should REALLY get mad at Hurley.
I've seen him play a few times now, I dont know if he'll quite be a starter next year, Adams and even Polley will be tough for him to beat out.

Reaction Score
I've seen him play a few times now, I dont know if he'll quite be a starter next year, Adams and even Polley will be tough for him to beat out.
We've seen what it gets us playing these same guys. Outside of shooting he's way better than them at everything. We desperately need to get more athletic.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We've seen what it gets us playing these same guys. Outside of shooting he's way better than them at everything. We desperately need to get more athletic.
I think he'll be very good, but people will be surprised how raw he actually is. He turns it over a lot, cant shoot, is pretty thin, and his handles are decent. I'm gonna wait and see how he is defensively once Hurley gets to work with him.

I should preface again this is based on 3(?) games I've seen. For all I know, he could be a 1 and done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom