Seth Davis Breaks Down 10 Blue Bloods (Including Us) | The Boneyard

Seth Davis Breaks Down 10 Blue Bloods (Including Us)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/01/12/hoop-thoughts-florida-ucla-michigan-syracuse

Connecticut (9-5, 2-1 American)

Short term: Sure, the loss to Yale at home was embarrassing, but look at the Huskies’ other losses: West Virginia, Texas and Duke, and then another one at home in overtime to Temple when Ryan Boatright did not play after halftime. They have won three straight with Boatright back in the lineup, and while nobody is reasonably expecting another deep run in the tournament, it would be pretty surprising to see UConn fail to get into the bracket. The question of who will emerge as a Robin to Boatright’s Batman remains unanswered, but there is no shortage of good candidates.

Long term: The Huskies will lose Boatright, who is a senior, but Kevin Ollie recruited a stellar heir apparent in Jalen Adams, a 6-foot-1 point guard from Brewster Academy in New Hampshire whom Daniels ranks No. 27 in the senior class. I’ve seen Adams play, and I believe he is better prepared to have an impact as a freshman than either Boatright or Shabazz Napier were. The Huskies also got a commitment from 6-9 forward Steve Enoch (ranked No. 66), but the Huskies’ biggest target (literally) is Diamond Stone, the 6-10 man-child from Milwaukee. It’s doubtful anyone on this team is turning pro early, so if the Huskies get Stone, then they will be a top-15 team next year. Even if they don’t, there is very little long-term concern here.

Reaction Score
Heck with how Calhoun is playing you can make an argument that UConn has only had a full roster for three games this year (the last three).
With the way this team plays defense and Omar hitting shots and just playing good basketball overall we are looking better every game. If we can get consistent production offensively from omar and purv and our defense is stout 40 min every game we could be really really good.

Reaction Score
Seth see's no real concern for the future with us....................................besides being in a joke conference with bad teams, no money and soon after losing recruits because of it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Duke, Kentucky, Kansas compete for national titles nearly every year. OK.

Guess there's a distinction between that and actually winning them.

The idea Kentucky is always a contender when they were just in the NIT and a 8 or 9 seed last season and we aren't is kind of bizarre.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not usually in the "we get no respect camp". But it influences public opinion and it's BS.

3 Final 4s in 6 seasons.
2 National titles in 4 seasons.

Guess that isn't competing though.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Nice read.. Cant wait for Jalen Adams to put on that Uconn jersey... #smoothcookins

Reaction Score
"and while nobody is reasonably expecting another deep run in the tournament"

Love when we are out of the spotlight and we shock the world.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Just when I thought I had all the whiny, entitled b*tches on ignore....
Do people really ignore?...

Without the sour, sweet isn't as sweet...

Reaction Score
"and while nobody is reasonably expecting another deep run in the tournament"

Love when we are out of the spotlight and we shock the world.

That's a nice rallying cry, but I'd rather be firmly in the spotlight and shock nobody when we win the damn thing.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Seth see's no real concern for the future with us......besides being in a joke conference with bad teams, no money and soon after losing recruits because of it.
26520129.jpg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Some awfully generous inclusions to this "blue blood" list. SDSU? Memphis? Michigan? St John's? Syracuse? Yes, these are all good programs (some moreso than others) and nothing to shake a stick at...but blue blood??? That's quite a stretch. The only blue bloods I saw on this list were: UCONN, Indiana, UCLA. Michigan State and Florida are firmly in that "second tier" elite program league, below the likes of UCONN, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Indiana, and UCLA.

Soapbox over.

Soapbox back on. "Nobody expects another deep tournament run"???? Has anyone learned anything about UCONN basketball over the years? It doesn't matter how low the seed is, UCONN is and will always be a threat come March. If he said "nobody expects a 1 or 2 seed", I could live with that. But I don't care if we're a 10 seed, we are always a threat to make a deep run. If the matchups fall into place like last season (and 2011), UCONN can go deep. And once you put the spotlight on, nobody rises to the challenge quite like the Dogs.

Soapbox over. Again.

Reaction Score
Heck with how Calhoun is playing you can make an argument that UConn has only had a full roster for three games this year (the last three).
We had a full and healthy roster for Duke. Were 4-1 this year with a full and healthy line up. Small window but I just know if the offense clicks we can do it again.

Reaction Score
We had a full and healthy roster for Duke. Were 4-1 this year with a full and healthy line up. Small window but I just know if the offense clicks we can do it again.
Nonsense. That was Omar's first game back. To say that represents a "full and healthy" roster is ridiculous. Omar didn't really get back in the swing of things until 2 games later.

Effectively this team has not lost a game with its full roster healthy and available.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. That was Omar's first game back. To say that represents a "full and healthy" roster is ridiculous. Omar didn't really get back in the swing of things until 2 games later.

Effectively this team has not lost a game with its full roster healthy and available.
I was at the game. He was healthy and moved just as well as he is moving now. Shots didn't fall for him and maybe Ollie didn't want to rush him in by overplaying him but he was healthy. If his shots fell I'm sure Ollie would've played him 15-20 minutes and this argument would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom