Serious question I asked before... | The Boneyard

Serious question I asked before...

Reaction Score
With independence looming I think it’s worth it to ask for the BY opinions again. I don’t want to get into whether it can happen and harp on the ineptitude of the athletic department etc. I just wonder if Uconn had a UCF like turnaround and started winning 10-12 games a year for 4-5 years what would the attendance and fan base look like?

Personally I think that we would be back to great attendance and following. In this region and Uconn fans particularly we just have a front runner mentality. Not meant to bash or complain about our fan base but rather an observation. Although I continue to support as I always have I no longer stress about what others do with their recreation/entertainment time and money as it’s completely their decision.

Reaction Score
With independence looming I think it’s worth it to ask for the BY opinions again. I don’t want to get into whether it can happen and harp on the ineptitude of the athletic department etc. I just wonder if Uconn had a UCF like turnaround and started winning 10-12 games a year for 4-5 years what would the attendance and fan base look like?

Personally I think that we would be back to great attendance and following. In this region and Uconn fans particularly we just have a front runner mentality. Not meant to bash or complain about our fan base but rather an observation. Although I continue to support as I always have I no longer stress about what others do with their recreation/entertainment time and money as it’s completely their decision.
The place would be packed. Losing miserably for 9 years straight takes a mighty toll.

Reaction Score
I just wonder if Uconn had a UCF like turnaround and started winning 10-12 games a year for 4-5 years what would the attendance and fan base look like?

I don’t think it needs to be as high as 10-12 games for 4-5 years. Just start winning over .500 consistently.

But for some some perspective on your ask:

Reaction Score
If we won 10-12 games for 4-5 consecutive years we would have to expand the Rent, or build a new facility on campus......uh, forget that last part.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We’d be a top 25 team the rent would be full and we’d have no issues.

Reaction Score
We could get back into the 30's with 7 to 8 wins but we will need to beat decent programs again. The length of this losing downturn is hard to break. Then there are the amount of blowouts that have occurred. Other programs get blitzed on a frequent basis by conference powerhouses but gave close games with the lower tier conference programs. Kansas with new coach Les Miles was 2-2 with 4 close games and then is down 38 to zip at halftime at TCU. Look at Tennessee and all their troubles. We are not alone. We need a good QB who is starting with the program for 3 years more than anything.

Reaction Score

For that to happen, UConn football needs to recruit better both in state and out of state. Edsall AND HIS STAFF need to start recruiting on à national level much like what Calhoun started doing in the very late 80's and early 90's with basketball, once JC started getting kids from out west (California, Arizona), PA, Texas, the southeast, it was just a matter of time before he had a championship team. Actually he thought the 94 team might be it. UConn needs a football coach with a Calhoun personality to turn this thing around, and I don't think Edsall has that right now. The fact that Edsall does not recruit well and register with in state kids (for the most part) speaks volumes.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They would have to win 9-10 games a year against a legitimate schedule to consistently draw 30k into the actual stadium.

The fans are gone and probably not coming back.

The sport is dying locally at the youth and high school level. The students want no part. The population is aging quickly, the affluent are bailing. Spoiler alert when you live on out of state tuition your grads don’t settle in Bristol or Middletown.

Go to a UConn football or basketball game and find a minor child paying attention rather than playing a game on a phone. Good luck.

UConn’s game presentation sucks and the stadium is already showing its age and has zero amenities.

They have given the product away for so long that almost no one is ever going to pay for it again. Candidly how stupid would you need to be to buy a ticket for USF - this is a school dumb enough to still run the ultimate day of tailgating while moving the kickoff to noon because of a mosquito issue they are a month behind - lord knows they will panic and open the gates again.

Reaction Score
Another fiscal hit to UCONN is a decline in students from China and their higher tuition payments. All colleges have been taking advantage of the money from Chinese students to pay bills. This also could affect Storrs center apartment rentals. Trade war unintended consequences.

Reaction Score
Start winning again and attendance will immediately improve. With an independent schedule can it ever get back to 30-35k? I don't know, but winning will drive meaningful increases in attendance very quickly.

Reaction Score
1st step is start running this like a legit program and not an after thought. Pony up legit money to pay and keep decent coordinators especially when your HC is getting a below market salary.

Once you can start looking like a legit outfit on the field maybe people will consider spending their money and time on your product. They had a good thing going and they squandered it.

Reaction Score
First, winning 10-12 games a year is a pipe dream that ain't happening. And even if it did, I think the damage has been done. I can't see the masses getting behind this team like they did 10 years ago now that we are out of a conference and with no bowl tie ins. I think winning games is one thing but playing to win something is another. If we were still in the AAC and playing for the AAC title, a bowl bid and possibly a NYE6 game? I think the place would be packed. Winning against an independent schedule even if there are some good teams on it? I don't know. I think it would bring crowds back up, but it won't be sellouts, etc.

Reaction Score
First, winning 10-12 games a year is a pipe dream that ain't happening. And even if it did, I think the damage has been done. I can't see the masses getting behind this team like they did 10 years ago now that we are out of a conference and with no bowl tie ins. I think winning games is one thing but playing to win something is another. If we were still in the AAC and playing for the AAC title, a bowl bid and possibly a NYE6 game? I think the place would be packed. Winning against an independent schedule even if there are some good teams on it? I don't know. I think it would bring crowds back up, but it won't be sellouts, etc.

I wouldn't say winning 10-12 grames is a pipe dream. It depends on the opposition. If UConn were to drop to FCS the Huskies have advantages that could propel them to Top Ten status. Even as an FBS independent, if UConn schedules primarily against other independents and mediocre G5s I can see 10 wins as a reasonable goal (although one yet to be accomplished at the FBS level). As for fans? 30K for a 10-12 win team against those opponents is about all I can envision in the 2020s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Forget can it happen.....but if it did happen and no one cares anyway then things are really dead. I guess that is why I am asking the question.

I still think winning cures most of this problem but was curious what others think.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say winning 10-12 grames is a pipe dream. It depends on the opposition. If UConn were to drop to FCS the Huskies have advantages that could propel them to Top Ten status. Even as an FBS independent, if UConn schedules primarily against other independents and mediocre G5s I can see 10 wins as a reasonable goal (although one yet to be accomplished at the FBS level). As for fans? 30K for a 10-12 win team against those opponents is about all I can envision in the 2020s.
UConn is never dropping back to FCS, either they stay FBS or they will kill football entirely. FCS would lose more money in the long run than FBS does now. What needs to be done is Edsall needs to back out gracefully and even have some connection to the program, this will allow the University to hire a new coach with a minimum of damage problems for the players and for recruiting.

Reaction Score
Forget can it happen.....but if it did happen and no one cares anyway then things are really dead. I guess that is why I am asking the question.

I still think winning cures most of this problem but was curious what others think.

We can go 11-1 for 3 years straight and might get 25k. I’ve been advocating to shut it down for 2 years now.

Reaction Score
If we go 11-1 for 3 years straight, I'll bet my mortgage that we have more than 25k people. It's a ridiculous statement...

Dan I love ya but come on now. It’s time to come to grips with reality. UConn football is dead in the state. D-E-A-D. It gives me no joy to say it either. But where are these fans going to come from?

Reaction Score
I still think to this very day. It’s not a five year process for this team it’s definitely 6-8 years for them to get back on point. For the rent I don’t think we will see it packed for a little while now. Not until we start competing on a FBS level.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Dan I love ya but come on now. It’s time to come to grips with reality. UConn football is dead in the state. D-E-A-D. It gives me no joy to say it either. But where are these fans going to come from?

We had 23k for the Illinois game, coming off of a 1-11 season and a whole decade of suck. Do you mean to tell me that we couldn't squeeze an extra 8k (assuming 5k were Illinois fans) if we were ridiculously good for 3 years in a row??? It's ludicrous...

[EDIT: before you comment on the free tickets, we had 19k for the Wagner game when we were still charging money]

Reaction Score
I'm generally optimistic but I don't see any scenario short of an entire schedule comprised of FCS and bottom feeder G5 Schools were UConn is going 10-2 or 11-1. If this is what it takes to achieve this kind of record would fans even turn out to watch?

UCF and to some extent Houston can have these incredible rebounds because they both can attract high level coaching with their access to talent and far less restrictive academics.

UConn's best bet would be to hire a young inventive OFFENSIVE coach from a lower level who is used to getting by with less. Play an entertaining brand of football and win some games against name G5/P5 Opponents and attendance will increase. Play CCSU, Sacred Heart, and Devry Institute and the only non players in the stadium will be the cheerleaders and vendors.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm generally optimistic but I don't see any scenario short of an entire schedule comprised of FCS and bottom feeder G5 Schools were UConn is going 10-2 or 11-1. If this is what it takes to achieve this kind of record would fans even turn out to watch?

UCF and to some extent Houston can have these incredible rebounds because they both can attract high level coaching with their access to talent and far less restrictive academics.

UConn's best bet would be to hire a young inventive OFFENSIVE coach from a lower level who is used to getting by with less. Play an entertaining brand of football and win some games against name G5/P5 Opponents and attendance will increase. Play CCSU, Sacred Heart, and Devry Institute and the only non players in the stadium will be the cheerleaders and vendors.

Honestly, the hard truth of Connecticut the state that I love is that fans only come out for winning teams here. HOWEVER....they ALWAYS come out for winning teams!

Does the football program need to be 11-1 to do it? I don't think so. I think if this team was perennially 8-4ish, you'd see in excess of 25k and closer to 30k in the stadium regularly. Especially if we were to pick up the regular win or two against a local rival (Rutgers / BC / Cuse / Temple / etc.). The hard part is getting to 8-4. The easier part is the CT fans coming back for a winner...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom