Series Continued (UConn) | The Boneyard

Series Continued (UConn)

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Which series would you like to see continued w/UConn?
I would love to see Rutgers, St. John's, Florida State and even though it's a very long shot, and might not ever happen Tennessee & Seton Hall.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Not continued... But match-ups started with Northern Illinois, Houston Baptist, Northeastern, and U of Washington.

Am I reading this wrong or is this post covered in shade? Lol

Reaction Score
I think he was going for Huskies vs. Huskies match ups, although I think the only such games that would be entertaining would be UConn starters vs. the bench.

Reaction Score
4games are no competition FSU would be good and Tenn stills owes An apology or 2 so could do without them
No point in playing Tennessee for the same reason we stopped playing teams like UNC and Duke. No need to add more teams we'd smoke by 50 in the OOC when there are plenty of those games in the AAC.

Reaction Score
FSU for sure. Saw the game last year and it was a cliffhanger. I'm in the minority on this board, but TN in a heartbeat, Sorry., but the person who owes "us" an apology is, um, dead. Let's move on, shall we? I'd like to see DePaul and TX, as well.

Reaction Score
I don't think that there is an official series with these teams but I think Uconn should play them every year.
  1. Notre Dame
  2. Maryland
  3. Baylor
  4. South Carolina
  5. Mississippi State (just for the heck of it - could MS St be giant killers again?)
  6. Stanford
  7. Texas
  8. Tennessee (dreaming but will never happen)

Reaction Score
I would like to see us play some teams that we have never played before. Such as SEC Members (Missouri & Mississippi), Big 10 Members (Indiana, Wisconsin & Michigan), PAC 12 Members (Utah, Colorado & Washington State) and Big 12 Member (Texas Tech). Bring back some old time foes, West Virginia, Duke, Florida, Boston College, Texas A&M, Washington and Villanova. But, my guess is that most of these teams have no interest in playing us. Oh well, let the season begin.

Reaction Score
I think we should have an annual game vs. PSU. It could be a nice regional rivalry and they are the nearest legit P5 (sorry Rutgers and BC, but you'll never be on that level) team. I think we should play one of PSU, Pitt, or OSU every year. I'd throw Syracuse into that mix, but they are too scared to play us.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
UConn vs. Missouri would be fun. They're the team in the SEC that plays a style most similar to UConn. They don't have the athletes or the skill.. but yeah.

I could see Cunningham being at UConn. She's a little gritty for Geno though. Missouri is a team of football players,.... you have to see them play to know what I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
UConn vs. Missouri would be fun. They're the team in the SEC that plays a style most similar to UConn. They don't have the athletes or the skill.. but yeah.

I could see Cunningham being at UConn. She's a little gritty for Geno though. Missouri is a team of football players,.... you have to see them play to know what I'm talking about.
It would be like Alabama playing Uconn in football.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think we should have an annual game vs. PSU. It could be a nice regional rivalry and they are the nearest legit P5 (sorry Rutgers and BC, but you'll never be on that level) team. I think we should play one of PSU, Pitt, or OSU every year. I'd throw Syracuse into that mix, but they are too scared to play us.
I will grant that, apparently, at the moment, Penn State may have more upside than Rutgers - but, in just the last 5 years, Rutgers has won more games than Penn State. In fact, Rutgers has won more games in the last 3 years. The only thing about Rutgers is that last year was a disaster and there is at least reasonable questions as to whether or not CVS can turn things around.

Pitt has not been good at all of late, FWIW. I can't imagine that Geno would see any profound reason to play them. I can't explain the Pitt situation, but in 4 years the head coach is 57-67; one really good 20 win season and 3 not so good, the last 2 were both 13 win seasons.

OSU and Syracuse are both good, but just as I say playing Pitt has no upside for Geno, Syracuse may very well feel that there is no upside to playing Connecticut - it doesn't mean they are scared. In my personal opinion, I'm not sure if there is an upside, but I don't see a downside (for them).

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It would be like Alabama playing Uconn in football.

The scoreboard would indicate that, yes. And I wouldn't complain. I would love to see UConn pound them to dust. For some reason my level of hate towards Missouri is WAY up this year. I want to beat them twice.. three times if the SEC tournament allows it.

Salty? Yes... they have a lot of hype coming into this season and I would love to see a humbling (this must be how UConn fans feel whenever a lesser team, i.e. everybody, receives too much acclaim lol)... I even read an article making an argument along the lines of "Missouri, the SEC's rising power"..

Reaction Score
Keep going to Colgate to keep thanking them for Breanna's home coming

I see where you're going with that, would it had been different if UConn played Syracuse?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No shade at all.

Just a Husky Battle Royale

The all white one seems kind of dominant. Just saying.

RU, SH, St. John's are local for me, so I'd in favor of playing them.

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with Syracuse and everything to do with playing schools that want to play us for any reason and brings them revenue. I do hate all shades of orange thou

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ... I was going to like some of the posts above and offer other suggestions and then a thought occurred to me - Uconn's OOC both while in a killer conference (the old Big East) and since it entered its current conference has not disappointed in a very long time. So while continuing to play certain schools is nice I am not really going to be disappointed by trading out a Duke for an FSU of a Stanford for a Miss St. We can't play them all every year.

The big issue for me is that many of the other top 10/20 schools around play dreadful schedules OOC, sometimes using the excuse that 'their conference schedule is sooooo strong that they need to find and load up on the Winthrops and Houston Baptists of the world - Baylor for example played four teams ranked below 300 last year in their OOC even while at least seeking out an upgrade on some of it. Maryland of course took the cake, playing 12 teams with rankings above 200 and another 2 above 100. (Admittedly 5 of those game were in conference so they can't even use the excuse of a killer conference!)

Reaction Score
I don't think that there is an official series with these teams but I think Uconn should play them every year.
  1. Notre Dame
  2. Maryland
  3. Baylor
  4. South Carolina
  5. Mississippi State (just for the heck of it - could MS St be giant killers again?)Goo
  6. Stanford
  7. Texas
  8. Tennessee (dreaming but will never happen)
Good list! I'm a huge believer in the concept that the best programs should not only be fearless about ongoing fierce rivalries against the other top programs, but should eagerly anticipate them. We UConn fans, spoiled as we are, regard the prospect of any potential regular-season defeat as something truly catastrophic. I just can't go there...I hate yawners, and want my favorite teams to have to survive a brutal gauntlet to achieve championships. It's an outgrowth, I guess, of my having been weaned on SEC football, where full-scale war breaks out most every Saturday, and the rivalries are blood feuds. Nothing in sports is sweeter than ultimately winning all the chips when you know they've been so hard-earned. And, as a bonus, when post-season play rolls around, if your team has earned a ticket to the dance, you know there's no chance of their being intimidated by the big stage and the bright lights. You're probably right, it will likely never happen, but I want the Lady Vols back, and want them to be great again. In the meantime, glad to see you have ND at the top of your list!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Being out here on the "left coast", I would love to see UConn begin a home & home on-going series with UCLA and another school from the west coast (Washington, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Gonzaga, USC, or maybe one of the Arizona schools). One year those two schools come to Storrs, the next year, UConn goes west. There are lots of schools in the western region they can rotate with if they choose, that would give them a "decent" game. Schools they don't normally play, that would love the opportunity to play an elite program like UConn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Good list! I'm a huge believer in the concept that the best programs should not only be fearless about ongoing fierce rivalries against the other top programs, but should eagerly anticipate them. We UConn fans, spoiled as we are, regard the prospect of any potential regular-season defeat as something truly catastrophic. I just can't go there...I hate yawners, and want my favorite teams to have to survive a brutal gauntlet to achieve championships. It's an outgrowth, I guess, of my having been weaned on SEC football, where full-scale war breaks out most every Saturday, and the rivalries are blood feuds. Nothing in sports is sweeter than ultimately winning all the chips when you know they've been so hard-earned. And, as a bonus, when post-season play rolls around, if your team has earned a ticket to the dance, you know there's no chance of their being intimidated by the big stage and the bright lights. You're probably right, it will likely never happen, but I want the Lady Vols back, and want them to be great again. In the meantime, glad to see you have ND at the top of your list!

We are on the same page. I think that all of the top tier WCBB teams should play each other during the regular season. Say what you will about our last season but I was glued to the TV or on the edge of my seats for the games I attended. The top 10 teams were thrilling match ups.

Playing just about all of the top ten teams was awesome. Everyone talks about the good of the game and growing the fandom, the first Uconn v Lady Vols game worked miracles for the fandom. How much more could the game grow if each of the top teams faced each other during the regular season?

@Scoop: I would love to see some of the west coast teams regularly on the schedule as well.

Hell every year each of the Final Four teams (EE's) should play each other during the regular season. The build up to the tourney would be insane.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I agree with 95% of your comment. I would love to see UConn's 10 OCC games consist of nothing but top 12 programs every year. If you're a top 12 program, take a number and get in line, they'll be right with you. The exception...........your reference to Tennessee. Not until they publicly apologize to Maya and her mom (preferably in person). It's real simple, the "stones/onions" they used to make those public statements/allegations, are the same ones they can use to apologize. The last time Geno addressed this subject, he left the ball in their court.

It would be good for both fan groups, to renew UConn's first real rivalry because of the storied past and the BIG games they played over the years. The fan bases don't like each other, that won't change. I think UConn Nation would look forward to THAT game more than Notre Dame, so would the TV networks..............$$$$$$. Almost like Notre Dame & USC in football. Or Ohio State & Michigan.

But as many other BY posters have commented, TN needs UConn more than UConn needs them. Just take a look at the journey each program has taken since 2007.

UConn has a new rival now in Notre Dame. One that neither coach has any thought of terminating. The Texas Longhorns are ringing the doorbell. They want to join the party too. Geno has already gone on the record and said as long as he's there, UConn will not schedule Tennessee.........period!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I agree with 95% of your comment. The exception......your reference to Tennessee. Not until they apologize to Maya and her mom in public (preferably in person). Geno has already gone on the record and said as long as he's there, UConn will not schedule Tennessee....period!!! :)
Nah, Scoop, I hear what you're saying, and I know lots of folks here share your view. (Furthermore, as I said, I know the reality is that a series renewal won't happen anytime soon.) But I just don't share it...to the contrary, I not only want Tenn to regain credibility, I want the series renewed despite, and along with, their accompanying abject refusal to offer any apology. The more they give me reason to hate them, the more eagerly I'd anticipate the games. C'mon...would any of the beatdowns of ND feel so good if we didn't hate them so much?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom