OT: - Serena Williams ousted in 3rd round of French Open | The Boneyard

OT: Serena Williams ousted in 3rd round of French Open

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Serena Loses to American Sofia Kenin. 6-2 7-5. Kenin won the game more than Serena lost in,

Tough day for Open Champions

Osaka also loses 6-4, 6-2 in the third round to No. 42 Katerina Siniakova

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So great for the young American. Pretty disgusted with the French fans - Super tight match, Serena was coming back, and hit a wicked shot that barely grazed the sideline just over the net. Sofia went over and angrily slid her foot over the mark and the French fans booed and catcalled her for about 30 seconds. Total low class fan reaction - clueless of the moment for that young woman IMHO.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So great for the young American. Pretty disgusted with the French fans - Super tight match, Serena was coming back, and hit a wicked shot that barely grazed the sideline just over the net. Sofia went over and angrily slid her foot over the mark and the French fans booed and catcalled her for about 30 seconds. Total low class fan reaction - clueless of the moment for that young woman IMHO.
Ha that is a classic French Open fan moment. Very vocal and they let ya hear it when they perceive any conduct even slightly untoward.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She continues to me to show a lack of fitness both mentally and physically. We'll all see what the future holds for Serena, if she even plans to continue competing.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Especially after some her antics and behavior last year. Can you say sore looser.

For those that talk about Serena's so called antics, I have to wonder how much of the history is truly known in regards to the unfairness she and her sister have received over the ages. Eventually, any sane person would snap.

Examples:
Venus was literally cheated out of points by a chair ump that was announcing the wrong score and it never got corrected, which led to Venus being ousted early in one of the Wimbledon tournaments. This injustice was so bad that it led to an officiating rule change that now requires an extra official in the stands nearby that simply watches over the score. This same official was ousted from the tourney.

Serena was cheated so badly at the US Open in the Capriati match that is led to another rule change and shot spot was brought in the following year.

Serena in another US Open yelled out well after ball landed as an ace and went by her opponent...out of reach...obvious ace. She lost the point for yelling out before the ball landed. However, there are many players on tour that squeal on every point and their squeals last well into when their opponent is trying to time and hit the ball.

Serena has received some very untimely foot faults...typically it's at the US Open...and there is no video evidence that can show it actually occurred. It's too close to call. It's also a call that doesn't seem to get called against other players and especially not 2 weeks into a major on a questionable call.

Justine Henin and the hand...if you don't know the story, I'd suggest a quick google.

The most egregious thing about the treatment of Serena and Venus is that other countries welcome them as , own, while the US crowds have never seemed to accept them, even as teens. prior to winning anything of significance. The US crowds have tended to cheer harder for their opponents from other countries.

If it were not for blatant cheating, Serena and Venus would have more grand slams today and Serena would already have the Margaret Court record.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
In a men's match yesterday, Wawrinka vs. Tsitsipas, the latter smashed his racquet, then held up the match while getting a new one. No warning. A bit after that antic, he threw down water bottles on the court with a "bit"of force, but not sure he received any warning for that either. He also hit a ball into the crowd after missing it, and per the announcers, should have been a point violation, which would have awarded Wawrinka that game. Again, nothing. They then showed video of Tsitsipas losing his temper on sidelines of prior matches by repeatedly hitting himself in the head, along with smashing other bottles.

I am not arguing that anything Serena or Venus may have done was incorrectly punished, however it would be great to see the rules enforced evenly between mens and women's matches, regardless of ranking.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
this thread turned both predictable and a bit hilarious :rolleyes:

For those that talk about Serena's so called antics, I have to wonder how much of the history is truly known in regards to the unfairness she and her sister have received over the ages. Eventually, any sane person would snap.

Examples:
Venus was literally cheated out of points by a chair ump that was announcing the wrong score and it never got corrected, which led to Venus being ousted early in one of the Wimbledon tournaments. This injustice was so bad that it led to an officiating rule change that now requires an extra official in the stands nearby that simply watches over the score. This same official was ousted from the tourney.

Serena was cheated so badly at the US Open in the Capriati match that is led to another rule change and shot spot was brought in the following year.

Serena in another US Open yelled out well after ball landed as an ace and went by her opponent...out of reach...obvious ace. She lost the point for yelling out before the ball landed. However, there are many players on tour that squeal on every point and their squeals last well into when their opponent is trying to time and hit the ball.

Serena has received some very untimely foot faults...typically it's at the US Open...and there is no video evidence that can show it actually occurred. It's too close to call. It's also a call that doesn't seem to get called against other players and especially not 2 weeks into a major on a questionable call.

Justine Henin and the hand...if you don't know the story, I'd suggest a quick google.

The most egregious thing about the treatment of Serena and Venus is that other countries welcome them as , own, while the US crowds have never seemed to accept them, even as teens. prior to winning anything of significance. The US crowds have tended to cheer harder for their opponents from other countries.

If it were not for blatant cheating, Serena and Venus would have more grand slams today and Serena would already have the Margaret Court record.

Looks at this post.... looks again at the custom title under the username :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In a men's match yesterday, Wawrinka vs. Tsitsipas, the latter smashed his racquet, then held up the match while getting a new one. No warning.

They then showed video of Tsitsipas losing his temper on sidelines of prior matches by repeatedly hitting himself in the head

Calling violations for racket smashing is up to the discretion of the umpire and is often let go. I assume this goes back to the US Open last year where Serena was given a point penalty, but that was automatic because it came after her first code violation. Again, I'd wager smashed rackets are not called violations the majority of the time.

I don't think I've ever seen player hit with a penalty for self harm. I mean, hitting oneself with a tennis racket is kinda punishment enough.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Always impressed with Serena. She has managed to deal with sexism, racism, and naysayers for over two decades with style and grace. She always rises above the noise.

You seem to be mixing up Serena and Venus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Serena has only made a couple of missteps in a long career of greatness. I give her the benefit of the doubt. I thought she got hosed in the US Open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom