Senior night? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Senior night?

Reaction Score
I'd say Aubrey comes back. She's played very well this year and has shown she's capable of being an offensive force. Another year of college competition would suit her well for the next level.

Reaction Score
The University needs to create a new category of super senior nights. You do get to participate in two ceremonies when you get an undergraduate degree and then a graduate degree, irrespective of where those graduations occurred.

Reaction Score
I checked the SNY broadcast schedule and it doesn’t have the Women’s Senior Night coverage on TV.

Reaction Score
I guess I wasn’t clear. I was looking for broadcast of Senior Night Ceremony.

Reaction Score
I guess I wasn’t clear. I was looking for broadcast of Senior Night Ceremony.
There probably won't be one on TV. You will likely have to watch via Facebook or YouTube provided by UConn as in year's past when the game isn't on SNY.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That is correct. If you don't play (at all), you don't use one of your 4 seasons of competition. Your 5 year eligibility window keeps running however. No process or declaration is required.

A side comment though. There really is no "redshirt" process per se. There is no mark put in your record that states you are a "redshirt". I don't like the term because it is used a lot and many people have various interpretations as to what it means. I know it's become a handy/convenient term for people to indicate a player's eligibility status is different than their school class status. But to me it's far less confusing to just state how many years a player has left in years of competition. But I think I'm an outlier in that position.
To those players, coaches and fans that understand the dynamics of what red-shirting is and how it’s achieved, it’s not complicated at all. The term “red-shirting” has been used in the sports lexicon for decades.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think that's for early entries. If you've been in college for four years, exhausted your eligibility, or graduated, you can enter.
Again, an example of the “must turn 22 years old” to qualify for the draft was exemplified by UConn’s Megan Walker when she renounced her senior year of eligibility an declared for the draft. Her class had not graduated yet, but she qualified for the draft because she would turn 22 that calendar year.

I think some posters are confused about the age rule here. You don’t have to turn 22 that calendar year if your college class graduates within 3 months of the draft. The age rule does not say or mandate that a player must be or turn 22 that year without exception.

Again the age rule only applies to players who don’t wish to play their senior year. If your college class graduates in May (which the majority of them do), it doesn’t matter how old or young you are. You qualify for the draft.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
To those players, coaches and fans that understand the dynamics of what red-shirting is and how it’s achieved, it’s not complicated at all. The term “red-shirting” has been used in the sports lexicon for decades.
Indeed the term has been used for decades and sure, many people have a common understanding of the term. But, many do not. It's rarely used in its original context. In the decades that I have been moderating I can tell you after seeing hundreds and hundreds of the use of the term, many do not share a common understanding.

There is no re-shirt "process" and one does not "achieve" a red-shirt. Those references confuse "some" people.

And, as I stated in my original post, I believe I am an outlier in my position. :(

Carnac

Reaction Score
Indeed the term has been used for decades and sure, many people have a common understanding of the term. But, many do not. It's rarely used in its original context. In the decades that I have been moderating I can tell you after seeing hundreds and hundreds of the use of the term, many do not share a common understanding.

There is no re-shirt "process" and one does not "achieve" a red-shirt. Those references confuse "some" people.

And, as I stated in my original post, I believe I am an outlier in my position. :(
Agreed. To be technical, I think a good way of being aware of the term “red-shirt” is to think of it as a status. I agree it’s not a process, formal or informal. I could have used another form of explanation than “achieved.” I meant it in the way a person achieves senior citizen status by doing nothing except continuing to breathe. You’re correct. Those references could be confusing to some folks. I first learned what that term meant in the early 60s.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom