Senior night? | The Boneyard

Senior night?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Just saw the announcement about MBB senior night and wondering if there's been any news about the women?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
SNY has stated during a couple of broadcasts that it is before the Xavier game (last regular season game). And even though SNY is not broadcasting the game, they will air the Senior Night festivities.
No idea how non SNY subscribers can watch live or a replay.

Reaction Score
Is there even a Sr on the team? Didn't dorka already have sr night last season? Would be weird for it to be twice

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think Lou has earned a framed jersey and deserves to hear the UConn fans cheering for just her! And have her teammates accompany her if her family is unable to attend, ala Dorka last year (that was so cool).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lou is in the same situation as Dorka last year, so she could participate, along with any student managers who are graduating.
My understanding of this is different than yours. Lou IS NOT in the same situation as Dorka was last year. Last year Dorka had one more year of eligibility left. She's using it this year. This time last year, Dorka was unsure whether or not she would return this year, so she decided to participate in last year's senior night. Dorka did not decide to return until AFTER the season was over. Lou has no more eligibility left. This is her 5th year of participating in D-1 WCBB. She can not return to UConn next year. Hopefully, Lou will get drafted and catch on with a WNBA team this year.

Last year, Lou was a true senior at Fairfield University, and I assume she fully participated in their senior night festivities. Geno tells his juniors and seniors with regard to senior night......" You only get one bite of the apple."

I assume that means you only get to participate in senior night festivities once at UConn. I have no idea what Geno's protocol is for this situation. Lou has not had her bite of the apple at UConn. Hopefully, she will be allowed to get her one bite and participate in UConn's senior night festivities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My understanding of this is different than yours. Lou IS NOT in the same situation as Dorka was last year. Last year Dorka had one more year of eligibility left. She's using it this year. This time last year, Dorka was unsure whether or not she would return this year, so she decided to participate in last year's senior night. Dorka did not decide to return until AFTER the season was over. Lou has no more eligibility left. This is her 5th year of participating in D-1 WCBB.

Last year, Lou was a true senior at Fairfield University, and I assume she fully participated in their senior night festivities. Geno tells his juniors and seniors with regard to senior night......" You only get one bite of the apple."

I assume that means you only get to participate in senior night festivities once at UConn.
I have no idea what Geno's protocol is for this situation. Lou has not had her bite of the apple at UConn. Hopefully, she will be allowed to get her one bite of the apple and participate in UConn's senior night festivities.

I don’t see why Lou can’t have her senior day. She plays for uconn and should get what others have

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if ticketing for the pregame senior night ceremony is separate from game tickets, re: if you have tickets for the game are you admitted early to watch the senior night ceremony?

Reaction Score
Lou is in the same situation as Dorka last year, so she could participate, along with any student managers who are graduating.
I might be wrong on this, but I thought when Dorka left Ohio State she had only used three years of eligibility because she missed a whole season from injury (redshirt). So she had the redshirt year and the covid year as additional years, and it was a choice for her to play one or two years for Uconn.

Lou on the other hand played four years at Fairfield, and if I understand it right, would therefore only have the extra Covid year which she is using now. She can't come back for another year.

Aubrey may be a senior academically but because of a redshirt year she could be in a similar situation to Dorka. It certainly makes senior days more complicated than in the past, and this year we don't have any that are the traditional scenario of playing four years, get your senior day, and not having options.

Aubrey of course is the only news that could come out of this year's announcement of who will participate. For obvious reasons I hope she does not want to participate in this year's activities.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I assume that means you only get to participate in senior night festivities once at UConn. I have no idea what Geno's protocol is for this situation. Lou has not had her bite of the apple at UConn. Hopefully, she will be allowed to get her one bite and participate in UConn's senior night festivities.
Yes, this is what I was referencing, although not very clearly. I would hope that Lou gets some sort of recognition along with any Sr managers. She has certainly made an impact on the program, and has endeared herself to many of us, in a very short time period.

Aubrey is a senior.
And yes, Aubrey is technically a senior (academic), however is referred to as a RS Jr. from an athletic viewpoint. If she has any plans to play professionally, IMHO she will be back next year to hone her craft, similar to Evina.

Reaction Score
What would seem to be relatively simple - deciding who is a senior and gets senior recognition - gets really complicated what with redshirting and the covid bonus year.

Reaction Score
Yes, this is what I was referencing, although not very clearly. I would hope that Lou gets some sort of recognition along with any Sr managers. She has certainly made an impact on the program, and has endeared herself to many of us, in a very short time period.

And yes, Aubrey is technically a senior (academic), however is referred to as a RS Jr. from an athletic viewpoint. If she has any plans to play professionally, IMHO she will be back next year to hone her craft, similar to Evina.
WNBA guidelines state that you must be 22 or turn 22 in the year of the draft. Aubrey does not meet this criteria. She is only 20 and will not be 21 until December of this year.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What would seem to be relatively simple - deciding who is a senior and gets senior recognition - gets really complicated what with redshirting and the covid bonus year.

'I assume that if you are getting a diploma in May, you get recognized on senior night.

Carnac

Reaction Score
WNBA guidelines state that you must be 22 or turn 22 in the year of the draft. Aubrey does not meet this criteria. She is only 20 and will not be 21 until December of this year.
OK Drummer, here is the "skinny" from the WNBA on their draft eligibility requirements.

Who is eligible for the WNBA Draft? One of the following MUST be present in a player's case.
  1. Turn 22 years old in the year of the draft.
  2. Have graduated or be set to graduate from a four-year university within three months of the draft.
  3. Have attended a four-year college and had her original class already graduated or set to graduate within three months of the draft. Aubrey's high school class graduates in 3 months. She is part of the class of 2023. She qualifies for the WNBA draft in April. Aubrey came to UConn in the fall of 2019.
Megan Walker left UConn after her junior year. Her class had not graduated yet, but she qualified for the draft because she turned 22 that calendar year.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if ticketing for the pregame senior night ceremony is separate from game tickets, re: if you have tickets for the game are you admitted early to watch the senior night ceremony?
Yes. :)

Reaction Score
Next year's seniors include Nika, Aaliyah and Paige, correct? I might have missed it but are Paige (and Ice) officially redshirted this year? So WNBA draft eligibility or declaration notwithstanding, Nika, Aaliyah and Paige are eligible for two more years in college after this season, and Paige possibly for three if she's redshirted. If these premises are correct, it means that next year Aubrey could be the only player to go through Senior night if the others decide to return for a fifth year. Sorry, way too much thinking on this.

Reaction Score
Next year's seniors include Nika, Aaliyah and Paige, correct? I might have missed it but are Paige (and Ice) officially redshirted this year? So WNBA draft eligibility or declaration notwithstanding, Nika, Aaliyah and Paige are eligible for two more years in college after this season, and Paige possibly for three if she's redshirted. If these premises are correct, it means that next year Aubrey could be the only player to go through Senior night if the others decide to return for a fifth year. Sorry, way too much thinking on this.
Aubrey could choose to stay another year too since she has 2 years of eligibility left after this season

Reaction Score
If you don't play you are redshirted. There's nothing to be done officially I don't think so long as you don't play a single minute.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
If you don't play you are redshirted. There's nothing to be done officially I don't think so long as you don't play a single minute.
That is correct. If you don't play (at all), you don't use one of your 4 seasons of competition. Your 5 year eligibility window keeps running however. No process or declaration is required.

A side comment though. There really is no "redshirt" process per se. There is no mark put in your record that states you are a "redshirt". I don't like the term because it is used a lot and many people have various interpretations as to what it means. I know it's become a handy/convenient term for people to indicate a player's eligibility status is different than their school class status. But to me it's far less confusing to just state how many years a player has left in years of competition. But I think I'm an outlier in that position.

Reaction Score
I think that's for early entries. If you've been in college for four years, exhausted your eligibility, or graduated, you can enter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom