Senior Camp Approaches - Mitchell Says She's Seen The Light | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Senior Camp Approaches - Mitchell Says She's Seen The Light

Reaction Score
I don't know about others -- but I'm curious if you thought I was out-of-line for calling her arrogant? Players have to be a little of both (arrogant and selfish), right?

This is your comment: Man-- what an arrogant statement for a player that's never won a significant thing at the team college level.

You imply that you meant it admiringly. Unless I'm missing something, there's not a scintilla of admiration in that comment.

Reaction Score
This is your comment: Man-- what an arrogant statement for a player that's never won a significant thing at the team college level.

You imply that you meant it admiringly. Unless I'm missing something, there's not a scintilla of admiration in that comment.

I don't understand--- not that it's important. If I meant it admiringly - I never would have mentioned "team" but nor did I feel like I slammed her. Which was why I did a follow-up to include great scorers/players that dominate the ball. My reply to you wasn't "admiring" but it certainly wasn't a slam I thought. But you think different? I never heard ever before a player looking to get selected to an all-star team make the statement she made when she has never won or come close. Usually there is more humility imo.

I was careful to include the word "team." Allen Iverson and Russell Wetbrook and the gaurd from OKC have amazing careers and have had them. They are elite players with the ball. She is elite with the ball. I've put her in that mix -- ofc comparing super college player vs super men's pro player. THEY ARE GREAT PLAYERS-> I"VE COMPARED HER TO THAT. You have to realize I grew up a Knick fan from the early 70's when they said the sum was greater than the individual. And the UCONN team tries for balance.

All players need to have some arrogance and selfishness. Even at the lowest levels-- there has to be a degree of it.

What did I say that was so wrong? I put her in the class of elite players such as Iverson (Hall of Fame) - and Iverson was arrogant and selfish to a degree. He was the MVP and helped lead his team to the finals. Plum had to be both selfish and arrogant in her career.

If you can provide me with a few links of other players that never won in a team or had that much success in college getting to a final four for example - not even en elite 8 I think?
Let me further add I would rather have had Barkley's career than Kenny Smith's. Though Barkley imo by his nature wasn't going to ever be a NBA champion unless his team had overwhelming talent. IMO he was responsible for blowing the game 7 of the Rocket/Sun series when he got hurt during game 7. Even though he was hurt he kept demanding the ball while KJ was unstoppable. Thus when he was the feature in the 4th quarter he couldn't score because he was hurt. The Suns wasted possessions. What made him great in part (arrogance and selfishness) was also his weakness. That's why I would never admire Barkley over a guy like Clyde Frazier though I understand Barkley is considered "greater."

Reaction Score
I just got back home and saw this. hahaha -- no problem!! When I saw the 1st post I was like NOOOOOOOOOOO I didn't mean it like that!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):)
\

Thank you for your generousity

Reaction Score
Are we talking players or coaches? Hell I'll do both P5
ACC-JPM, Marina Mabrey
SEC-Mercedes nudges out A'ja & Holly
Big 10-Kelsey Mitchell and her Father
Big 12-Lauren Cox & Kim
Pac 12-Destiny Slocum & I can't think of a coach

I wish you'd stop confusing an argument --with basic FACTS.

Reaction Score
I just got back home and saw this. hahaha -- no problem!! When I saw the 1st post I was like NOOOOOOOOOOO I didn't mean it like that!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):)
Hope my , reading challenge, didn't bring down this deluge upon you--again, miss read the hell out of it--sorry.

Reaction Score
I don't know about others -- but I'm curious if you thought I was out-of-line for calling her arrogant? Players have to be a little of both (arrogant and selfish), right?
\
Geno tries to recruit winners, those who have won championship, and those who have a high degree of confidence.
If you go back and read the comments Megan Walker made before she opted to go to Uconn, this past spring, some would say--arrogant.
We all have to realize not all kid react the same way--But--after 4 or 6 or 8 years of being told weekly, monthly, daily that you are super great and the top schools in WBB want you--if that does not make one ARROGANT--nothing shall.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Has Ohio State gotten to the Elite 8 during Mitchell's run? Can you name an Ohio State player who is better with Mitchell on the court?
Nearly everyone that plays with her is better because of her, she doesn't coach the Buckeyes she's just a player and to put the fact that they don't win on her shoulders is ridiculous. Why didn't I see this kind of criticism of Kelsey Plum on this Board last year? All she got was universal praise from the BY faithful and what did she and her team win? Which player on Connecticut's team is to blame for them not winning the Natty this year, since now we're blaming individual players for their team's lack of a championship?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nearly everyone that plays with her is better because of her, she doesn't coach the Buckeyes she's just a player and to put the fact that they don't win on her shoulders is ridiculous. Why didn't I see this kind of criticism of Kelsey Plum on this Board last year? All she got was universal praise from the BY faithful and what did she and her team win? Which player on Connecticut's team is to blame for them not winning the Natty this year, since now we're blaming individual players for their team's lack of a championship?
Ok, let me give this a shot:
Using last years season stats-
KP Ave 31.6 pts, 5.2 reb, 4.8 assists, 1.6 steals and 2.5 turnovers. Shooting 53.7%
KM Ave 22.6 pts, 2.8 reb, 3.9 assists, 1.2 steals and 2.2 turnovers. Shooting 43.7%
KP numbers dominate especially considering the shooting percentage, which means less shots she takes to make more points and distribute to her teammates.
UW played in a significantly harder conference than OSU, with more wins.
UW had significantly less talent than OSU ( AA's and HG rankings)
Ms Mitchell is on record as saying she hated USA Basketball and would never participate again. KM was also highly ranked coming in -top 7? While KP was high 20's?
Plus add in the optics of McGuff hiring her dad to get her and you have a bullseye on your back!
Kelsey Mitchell can play, no doubt, does the sum of her parts create a better team? No, I don't think so.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ok, let me give this a shot:
Using last years season stats-
KP Ave 31.6 pts, 5.2 reb, 4.8 assists, 1.6 steals and 2.5 turnovers. Shooting 53.7%
KM Ave 22.6 pts, 2.8 reb, 3.9 assists, 1.2 steals and 2.2 turnovers. Shooting 43.7%
KP numbers dominate especially considering the shooting percentage, which means less shots she takes to make more points and distribute to her teammates.
UW played in a significantly harder conference than OSU, with more wins.
UW had significantly less talent than OSU ( AA's and HG rankings)
Ms Mitchell is on record as saying she hated USA Basketball and would never participate again. KM was also highly ranked coming in -top 7? While KP was high 20's?
Plus add in the optics of McGuff hiring her dad to get her and you have a bullseye on your back!
Kelsey Mitchell can play, no doubt, does the sum of her parts create a better team? No, I don't think so.

Yeah, so there! iamcbs, your facile comparison between Kelsey's never weres and a 37-1 team who lost in overtime in the Final 4 is as unpersuasive as your categorical she makes everyone who steps on the court with her better. Some skills as a ball player she does not have and apparently scorns. She can score. But, I suspect a whole lot of WNBAers would not like to see her put on their team jersey.

Reaction Score
Mitchell reminds me of the Penn State alumni, Kelly Mazante. She was a two time AA and set the B1G all-time scorer. She was a first round selection by Indiana, if I'm not mistaken. Kelly lasted 2 to 3 years in the WNBA! Mitchell like Mazante is one dimensional who has never tried to advance her game!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Mitchell reminds me of the Penn State alumni, Kelly Mazante. She was a two time AA and set the B1G all-time scorer. She was a first round selection by Indiana, if I'm not mistaken. Kelly lasted 2 to 3 years in the WNBA! Mitchell like Mazante is one dimensional who has never tried to advance her game!

Charlotte Sting.. We picked her in the second round in the 2004 draft. Picked up Nicole Powell at #3.

Reaction Score
Charles Barkley had a pretty significant career. One of the top 50 players of all time and a member of the Dream Team. Yet he too never won anything significant (beyond that championship) at the pro level. In the end MVP awards and scoring titles are insignificant. All people want to know is how many chips have you won.

You really are not speaking of FAN's . OR I'm a very minor minority, because I liked/like players for the play. I have my favorite teams that's true. But top players of any team got my attention. I believe Charles was an ODU player--frankly I never heard much about him until the Pros'--then he became well advertised.

Reaction Score
Barkley is a wealthy man, HOF'er and one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history, as he's said on many occsiaons he would have loved to win a title but he wouldn't trade careers with Kenny Smith, his braodcast partner who won 2 NBA titles, or a bunch of other guys who won titles. At the end of the day, I'd rather have Kelsey Mitchell than Kelly Faris, Carolyn Doty or Tiffany Hayes, all of whom won multiple titles at Connecticut.
And that is why Ohio State has trouble winning the weak Big 10 title!

Reaction Score
This is a kid. This is how she winds herself up to compete at a level none of us could ever approach.

I find many of these comments stomach-turning.
She is 21 now. She is not a kid. There are a few of us that have played or coached at this level or higher. Because you didnt dont put everyone at your level!

Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum and Washington made a FF in 2016. Uconn lost to Mississippi State Because the team played awful and the Bulldogs had something to do with that.

Reaction Score
You really are not speaking of FAN's . OR I'm a very minor minority, because I liked/like players for the play. I have my favorite teams that's true. But top players of any team got my attention. I believe Charles was an ODU player--frankly I never heard much about him until the Pros'--then he became well advertised.
Alabama The Round Mound of Rebound Was drafted by My Philadelphia 76ers!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom