Semi OT- Want Elite Volleyball Talent? Better Start Recruiting In Middle School | The Boneyard

Semi OT- Want Elite Volleyball Talent? Better Start Recruiting In Middle School

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Peer pressure pushes volleyball coaches to recruit phenoms like Rylee Gray earlier and earlier

Rylee Gray might have driven to her first college visit if only she had a license.

Two months after her 14th birthday, she walked out of Elkhorn Ridge Middle School on a Friday morning in November — long brown hair over a long-sleeve blue shirt — and found her parents in the parking lot.

“I’m nervous,” she said.

Mom and dad were, too. But remember, they said, it’s the coaches who have to win you over, not the other way around.

Her email itinerary for Nov. 4, 2016 — “Creighton University welcomes Rylee Gray” — showed a full slate of tours and meetings, starting at 1 p.m.

A decade ago, the idea of recruiting eighth-grade girls would’ve appalled college coaches. Now they swallow their angst and rush to the middle-school courts, worried that the costs of resistance would exceed the benefits.

“We don’t like it,” Creighton coach Kirsten Bernthal Booth said. “We don’t think it’s good for the athletes. We don’t think it’s good for our programs. However … if you don’t start showing interest and giving them appropriate recruiting love and potentially putting offers out, you lose them.”

Said Iowa State volleyball coach Christy Johnson: “It’s an arms race to see how quickly you can secure players.”

Sounds like something Nick Saban or Urban Meyer might say, right? But human biology generally pumps the brakes on their ambition. At 14 and 15, boys are a long way from physical maturity. Girls are closer to finished products, especially now that they’re specializing in one sport earlier and — with the guidance of their clubs — training harder. Before they ever crack a biology book (or dissect a frog), Nebraska coach John Cook identifies future Big Ten stars.

“How many ninth-grade boys do you know are going to be studs?” Cook said.

Rylee Gray is a stud. Six-foot-2 and still growing. The kind of kid who can stuff block and chew gum at the same time. A 4.0 student who, according to her club coach, can “take crap as well as anybody” and hold serious conversations with adults, as if she’s a peer.

But recruiting tests maturity. In eighth grade, Rylee consistently walked the line between being 14 and being a blue-chip prospect. She’d practice four hours a night and fight shin splints. She’d film home videos playing air guitar and make silly business cards. She’d open stacks of letters and get the princess treatment on college visits. She’d experience moments of stress and pride she’d never felt before. All before her first day of high school.

Had no idea how crazy the world of volleyball recruiting is, but this is becoming more and more commonplace. Girls being identified in 7th and 8th grade and making commitments before they even get to high school. Its a big deal whenever football coaches offer players this young because its so rare, well volleyball is seeing this on a regular basis! Just crazy to think these coaches are relying on building their programs on the premise of evaluating 13 and 14 year olds

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
You think recruiting happens early in football and boys basketball? Come check out the culture in girls sports, where eighth- and ninth-graders are increasingly seeing college coaches at their games — and receiving scholarship offers.

What are the reasons for this trend? What are the complications and consequences? That’s the basis of our project, which tells the story of girls like Emma Grunkemeyer.

By the end of her ninth-grade year, the 6-foot-2 outside hitter/middle blocker had filled out a few college questionnaires. Nothing serious.

But when Iowa offered, Emma started taking unofficial visits. Her dad took off work and drove Emma across the Midwest: Ohio State, Notre Dame, Wyoming, Colorado State.

"It’s really overwhelming," Emma said, "but after the first week of it, I was like, whoa, calm down, it’s not like I’m leaving for college this fall. I still have three more years.”

On most trips, the coach asked what Emma wanted to study.

“What 15-year-old knows what they want to do?” Heidi said. “It was almost laughable. Like, OK, this trip I’m going to say I’m going into business. This one I’m going to say marketing.”

By August 2016, Emma had half a dozen offers. That’s when coaches started applying pressure. Iowa’s coach encouraged her to make a decision because he had someone else waiting.

If you’re not going to take it, I’d sure like to know by the end of the week.

Heidi knows that a scholarship would’ve been available — somewhere — a year or two later. But it may not have been a major-conference Division I program.

Is that enough incentive to commit three years before moving into the dorm?

Fourteen and 15-year-olds are making decisions that affect them the rest of their lives, Heidi said. And volleyball is supposed to be one factor in the decision. Not the whole basis for the decision.

So why, in August 2016, did Emma commit to Iowa’s recruiting class of 2019?

“I love everything that they stand for,” she said. “I love their goals for the future. I love that they’re not already the best of the best. They know what it’s like to build and to get there. I love Bond, I love the way he coaches. I love their statement and their team chemistry.”

The hope is that she’ll still feel that way in two years.

Mad Chatter: Early recruiting in girls sports; Mike Riley's gift of coaching versatility; Tim Miles' December gauntlet

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline
Top Bottom