Semi OT - UNC and the academic fraud investigation | The Boneyard

Semi OT - UNC and the academic fraud investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am just wondering if there will be any fall-out toward women's basketball with the on-going investigations of rampant academic fraud at UNC? With the hammer that came down on Penn State for what was a non-student issue and technically outside NCAA pervue, what may happen at UNC where scholarship students were taking courses that did not actually exist? So far I believe it has mostly focused on football, though I believe there is some men's BB involved.
Anyone have any read on this?

Personally, I find this much more troubling on an NCAA level than what happened at Penn State. The PSU issue is obviously much more troubling on a human level, but in terms of 'student athletes' and NCAA issues and integrity, academic fraud is a core issue.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I imagine that UNC actually makes their girls go to class and do their own homework and stuff. Not enough money in WBB to do otherwise. Whether those girls are majoring in theoretical astrophysics is another story entirely.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I am just wondering if there will be any fall-out toward women's basketball with the on-going investigations of rampant academic fraud at UNC? With the hammer that came down on Penn State for what was a non-student issue and technically outside NCAA pervue, what may happen at UNC where scholarship students were taking courses that did not actually exist? So far I believe it has mostly focused on football, though I believe there is some men's BB involved.

On what bizarre planet di you think UNC basketball, both men's and women's, had any academic standards to begin with? :)

And yes, men's basketball is involved. Very involved.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On what bizarre planet di you think UNC basketball, both men's and women's, had any academic standards to begin with? :)
You do run true to form, don't you!!!;)
Thanks, I hadn't followed closely so I had just seen lots of references to the football players.
And Alex - I agree that the women do tend to be more serious students, but they are still young, and given their schedules, if one of their fellow student athletes mentioned a REALLY easy class with MINIMAL attendance requirements, they might have been tempted. I might have been when I was in college, and I wasn't spending 100s of hours in the gym.

Reaction Score
The first two former UNC WBB players I googled- Erlana Larkins and Latangela Atkinson- were African American Studies majors. Coincidence?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

And yes, men's basketball is involved. Very involved.

The UNC men's basketball fanbase is the most arrogant collegiate fanbase in the country.... they are praying that none of this is traced back to the men's basketball program. Glad this is starting to get some national press.. and I hope (and pray) that the NCAA gets involved.. and does alot of digging. Its a darn shame that some of my tax dollars goes to support UNC ...... :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom