Semi OT - Marketing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Semi OT - Marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You are so quick to tear people down but you offer no solutions.

True. But I don't think I'm smart enough to come with solutions like putting a poster on train or running a bake sale.

That's where your genius come in.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
True. But I don't think I'm smart enough to come with solutions like putting a poster on train or running a bake sale. That's where your genius come in.
where did I say putting an ad on a train was a solution? When did I mention ticket sales? Don't put words in my mouth.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
where did I say putting an ad on a train was a solution? When did I mention ticket sales? Don't put words in my mouth.

"UConn football ads on the train would seem like a no brainer to me."

What exactly is direct response that doesn't result in direct response results? Something your firm is breaking new ground with?

--We have NO BRAINER programs you can BUY but don't expect sales or solutions to sales problems-- Dan's $30 million direct response company

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
"UConn football ads on the train would seem like a no brainer to me." What exactly is direct response that doesn't result in direct response results? Something your firm is breaking new ground with? --We have NO BRAINER programs you can BUY but don't expect sales or solutions to sales problems-- Dan's $30 million direct response company
you are delusional. My no brainer ads on trains did not necessarily have anything to do with pushing ticket sales. Though it could work and easily be tracked - would not know without testing it. My no brainer was about brand awareness and getting deeper penetration in Fairfield County. Just like the "UConn unleashed" campaign UConn is running across the state, I don't see why they wouldn't want to do so for football. My mentioning my direct marketing background was to counter your moron comment. Whereby I actually run a successful business and know quite a bit about marketing, you likely sleep in your parents' basement and call people morons without reason. You are the moron, but more so you are bag loser.

Reaction Score
Come on. Being sarcastic doesn't solve anything.

Do you think we could sell more cupcakes or brownies? I have an opinion, but I'm going to wait for UCONN Dan.

He is an expert on bake sales, branding and owns a $30 million dollar direct response company that specializes in train posters.
Depends on what's in the brownies. Medically speaking of course.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Whereby I actually run a successful business and know quite a bit about marketing, you likely sleep in your parents' basement and call people morons without reason. You are the moron, but more so you are bag loser.
He's mentioned in past posts that he's in marketing and super successful. He's also really douchey and condescending about it.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
He's mentioned in past posts that he's in marketing and super successful. He's also really douchey and condescending about it.

I don't know about super successful - some would dispute that.

But douchey and condescending? You got me there.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Depends on what's in the brownies. Medically speaking of course.

this is the kind of out-of-the-box thinking i was talking about!!!

Reaction Score
Obv part of a larger campaign.

Attachments

• image-330647836.jpg
    image-330647836.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 39
Reaction Score
When you are trying to generate interest, "extra sales" is only part of the question.

Quiznos, Dave and Busters, Sonic, Buffalo Wild Wings are just a few examples of companies that paid for television commercials to be broadcast in CT months, even years, before they opened (or announced) their first location in Connecticut.

UConn needs to generate interest in the school in Fairfield county. It may not translate to an immediate increase in sales, but purchasing Ads will help generate interest. UConn is behind the curve on advertising down there.

It's likely that the reason you see sonic in CT, unless they really altered their buying strategy is that it was more efficient to buy national than do spot market. We know that we'd have market waste, but the cost differential was well worth that.

I'd be really surprised if you saw Sonic in spot market television before there was planned physical locations in the market.

Regardless, your point is valid there can be multiple purposes for campaign. Whether that's the right thing to do is an entirely different conversation.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's likely that the reason you see sonic in CT, unless they really altered their buying strategy is that it was more efficient to buy national than do spot market. We know that we'd have market waste, but the cost differential was well worth that.

I'd be really surprised if you saw Sonic in spot market television before there was planned physical locations in the market.

Regardless, your point is valid there can be multiple purposes for campaign. Whether that's the right thing to do is an entirely different conversation.
Are you saying that Sonic is not in CT? I don't know exactly when they opened, but it's been a few years at least that there is a Sonic in Wallingford and Manchester.

Reaction Score
Are you saying that Sonic is not in CT? I don't know exactly when they opened, but it's been a few years at least that there is a Sonic in Wallingford and Manchester.

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying if you saw spots before Sonic was in market, it wasn't because they were an advertising in that market with a market specific buy. It was a national buy because the it was more efficient for us to buy that way. There were plenty of markets that saw Sonic spots that had zero chance of getting a Sonic. It wasn't a part of any plan to seed a market and boost brand awareness prior to opening.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying if you saw spots before Sonic was in market, it wasn't because they were an advertising in that market with a market specific buy. It was a national buy because the it was more efficient for us to buy that way. There were plenty of markets that saw Sonic spots that had zero chance of getting a Sonic. It wasn't a part of any plan to seed a market and boost brand awareness prior to opening.

Thanks. Just looking for some clarification. That's all.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

this thread is a case study in bikeshedding

Reaction Score
Thanks. Just looking for some clarification. That's all.

Yes ... thanks for that clarification. I was also under the impression that Sonic purchased airtime in future emerging markets ...

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I was also under the impression that Sonic purchased airtime in future emerging markets ...

you do know that advertising costs money, right?

Reaction Score

Why are you being such an insufferable about this? We get it. You're a marketing guy for a living.

When the season rolls around, I hope you don't criticize the coaching staff because you are no football professional.

Reaction Score
I think the Sonic Ads piggybacked on Satellite feeds. We have Dish and I Goggled Sonic when I first saw their ads and found the closest one at the time about 4 years ago was somewhere in Jersey. The 2 in CT have been here for about 2.5 years. I have also seen ads for other stores not in the northeast on the DISH feeds. DISH often uses the blackout rule when local teams are also seen on the local networks. But they won't carry SNY or MSG.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I hope you don't criticize the coaching staff because you are no football professional.

If you'll notice, I have almost NEVER criticized the coaching staff for football strategy, play calling etc type stuff.

I have criticized them based on results ie: not enough wins or not good enough recruits or not having the team organized.

Reaction Score

I am not voicing an opinion in how or where marketing dollars get spent. I thanked Northbound and Husky25 for clarifying something I didn't know. I remember seeing Sonic commercials on local programming up to at least a year before the first Sonic opened in CT. I thought it was a deliberate ad campaign by Sonic. However, Northbound and Husky25 let me know it was a way to buy national airtime at a lower rate, knowing that some ads would appear in areas that don't have a Sonic.

You teach marketing strategies like GDL teaches zone blocking strategies ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom