Semi OT - Marketing | The Boneyard

Semi OT - Marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember there were people here that got on my case about UCONN football not advertising on the train when Army was?

Apparently the theatre department doesn't think it is a waste of money.

Attachments

• image-507381064.jpg
    image-507381064.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 121
Reaction Score
What train is this? I was on the train in December and there was an Army ad for the game at Yankee Stadium. Maybe UConn figured their fans would see the ad and buy tickets anyway so they didn't need to pay to advertise. Then again, this was the Hudson Line, which as its name implies, runs along the Hudson River near West Point. A lot of locals are Army fans, but very few are UConn fans. The New Haven line would be different and I don't know if Army advertised on that.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
This looks like a new UConn marketing initiative. Kudos! I was at Bradley airport two weeks ago and saw a giant poster with one of our astronaut alumns. Science unleashed I think. Looks like they are on a a UConn unleashed campaign - I assume that the witch in wicked went to UConn - did drunk uncle decline?

UConn football ads on the train would seem like a no brainer to me.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
This looks like a new UConn marketing initiative. Kudos! I was at Bradley airport two weeks ago and saw a giant poster with one of our astronaut alumns. Science unleashed I think. Looks like they are on a a UConn unleashed campaign - I assume that the witch in wicked went to UConn - did drunk uncle decline?

I've always wondered how difficult it would be for UConn and ESPN/CBS to get a live shot of Rick Mastracchio giving a 'thumbs-up' sign from the International Space Station during a televised athletic event.

I'm guessing not much harder than, say, getting a live shot of the opposing team's biggest fan celeb schmoozing inside UConn's own arena...

Last edited:

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
That's Jackie Burns, class of 2002.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
epark88 said:
I've always wondered how difficult it would be for UConn and ESPN/CBS to get a live shot of Rick Mastracchio giving a 'thumbs-up' sign from the International Space Station during a televised athletic event. I'm guessing not much harder than, say, getting a live shot of the opposing team's biggest fan celeb schmoozing inside UConn's own arena...

It'd be incredibly difficult.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Remember there were people here that got on my case about UCONN football not advertising on the train when Army was?

Apparently the theatre department doesn't think it is a waste of money.

The UCONN theatre department is known as being perhaps the finest marketing organization in the world.

I expect to see a world-wide rush to emulate what they have done.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

Except for one detail... they might charge actual money for them. So, you have to consider that.

But, if its free, I agree. No brainer

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Except for one detail... they might charge actual money for them. So, you have to consider that.

But, if its free, I agree. No brainer
Captive audience in your target market is worth the $ $ $.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Captive audience in your target market is worth the $ $ $.

you are a moron.

what is the $$?

how many extra sales do you expect to get for that $$?

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
you are a moron. what is the ? how many extra sales do you expect to get for that ?
hey buddy, I didn't call you any effiing names. But since you went there, this moron runs a $30million business in direct response marketing. You have no idea what you are talking about you piece of !

sdhusky

Reaction Score
hey buddy, I didn't call you any effiing names. But since you went there, this moron runs a $30million business in direct response marketing. You have no idea what you are talking about you piece of !

What's the name of the firm you own?

Do you guys do bake sales too? Because I think a really good bake sale or maybe silent auction could really solve this money shortage from conference re-alignment.

Love to hear your thoughts on this. Not every day I get to learn from a real pro.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gregory Koch said:
What train is this? I was on the train in December and there was an Army ad for the game at Yankee Stadium. Maybe UConn figured their fans would see the ad and buy tickets anyway so they didn't need to pay to advertise. Then again, this was the Hudson Line, which as its name implies, runs along the Hudson River near West Point. A lot of locals are Army fans, but very few are UConn fans. The New Haven line would be different and I don't know if Army advertised on that.
New Haven line.

Army did advertise football on the New Haven line last year.

Reaction Score
When you are trying to generate interest, "extra sales" is only part of the question.

Quiznos, Dave and Busters, Sonic, Buffalo Wild Wings are just a few examples of companies that paid for television commercials to be broadcast in CT months, even years, before they opened (or announced) their first location in Connecticut.

UConn needs to generate interest in the school in Fairfield county. It may not translate to an immediate increase in sales, but purchasing Ads will help generate interest. UConn is behind the curve on advertising down there.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
What's the name of the firm you own? Do you guys do bake sales too? Because I think a really good bake sale or maybe silent auction could really solve this money shortage from conference re-alignment. Love to hear your thoughts on this. Not every day I get to learn from a real pro.
you are a real . It's called brand building. I've never used ignore function on the countless trolls and self loathing fans but if I were I would start with you.

Reaction Score
you are a real . It's called brand building. I've never used ignore function on the countless trolls and self loathing fans but if I were I would start with you.

Just an FYI but I have seen advertising for the Yankees and Mets in the subway... I would think they may not need to advertise in the subways of NewYork but I am thinking, that you are right when it comes to reinforcing the brand. If you don't do that in your area, you lose attention. Who was it that said, "No press is bad press"?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Brand awareness, yes. But, also impulse suggestion.

See UConn FB poster on subway..."Hey, I've been thinking about going" (writes down number)

"BYU on a Friday night? Hey, that might be fun, I can make that."

Relying on news coverage and direct mail isn't a winning strategy.

Reaction Score

See UConn FB poster on subway..."Hey, I've been thinking about going" (pulls out smartphone to do a search for tickets)

FIFY

sdhusky

Reaction Score

Wait - I thought you said your firm is direct response and bake sales? You also do branding? wow. Impressive.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

See UConn FB poster on subway..."Hey, I've been thinking about going" (writes down number)

Well, I guess our season tickets sales problem is solved. Awesome job guys!!!

I still haven't heard any solid ideas for the bake sale to alleviate the conference re-alignment cash shortage.

I'm sure if we just channel the brain power I've seen so far, it won't take long!!!

Reaction Score
Well, I guess our season tickets sales problem is solved. Awesome job guys!!!

I still haven't heard any solid ideas for the bake sale to alleviate the conference re-alignment cash shortage.

I'm sure if we just channel the brain power I've seen so far, it won't take long!!!

Summer's Eve quality posting from you in this thread.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Maybe we are taking the wrong approach. With the number of people SD annoys, perhaps if we ban him from the Rent, attendance will shoot back up to full capacity.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Summer's Eve quality posting from you in this thread.

Come on. Being sarcastic doesn't solve anything.

Do you think we could sell more cupcakes or brownies? I have an opinion, but I'm going to wait for UCONN Dan.

He is an expert on bake sales, branding and owns a $30 million dollar direct response company that specializes in train posters.

Reaction Score
Maybe we are taking the wrong approach. With the number of people SD annoys, perhaps if we ban him from the Rent, attendance will shoot back up to full capacity.

He never goes to games anyway.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
Come on. Being sarcastic doesn't solve anything. Do you think we could sell more cupcakes or brownies? I have an opinion, but I'm going to wait for UCONN Dan. He is an expert on bake sales, branding and owns a $30 million dollar direct response company that specializes in train posters.
you are one half baked mother fukcer. I'm sure you are a lonely and miserable person.

You are so quick to tear people down but you offer no solutions.

I feel sorry for you and your lonely penis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom