Semi OT? BYU study.... | The Boneyard

Semi OT? BYU study....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Shows that in the NBA white referee's call more fouls on black players than on white players, while black referees call more fouls in white players than black players.

Which begs the question....does this happen in WNBA? What about college games, most notably, in the women's game?

Just thought this was interesting.......

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One thing I am pretty sure about is that male officials call more fouls on male players and female officials call more fouls on female players.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the women refs call more fouls on the male players and the men refs call more fouls on the female players.
Has any one done a study on that yet?

Reaction Score
Shows that in the NBA white referee's call more fouls on black players than on white players, while black referees call more fouls in white players than black players.

Which begs the question....does this happen in WNBA? What about college games, most notably, in the women's game?

Just thought this was interesting..

This can't be true or oversimplified.
If white refs call more fouls on blacks, this is understandable since there is a huge majority of blacks.
However, if black refs call more fouls on whites there needs to be an investigation because of this same majority.
Am I missing something?

Reaction Score
This post is a bit misleading. First of all, the study was released in 2007, and was based largely on data from the 90's. Secondly, its methodology and conclusions were debatable - partly because there is no public database as to which ref calls which foul. The NBA did its own study and claimed, using its database that has more detailed information, that there was no evidence of bias on calling fouls. And third, when the same authors used the same methodology to look at what has happened since the release of their original study, they found that there is now NO evidence at all of race affecting calls.

Article on most recent study: http://www.businessweek.com/article...hey-were-racist-made-nba-referees-less-racist
Their conclusion: “When we conduct the same tests for own-race bias in the period immediately following the media coverage, we find none exists.

Reaction Score
I figured something like that. Thanks for clearing the air sh.

Reaction Score
This can't be true or oversimplified.
If white refs call more fouls on blacks, this is understandable since there is a huge majority of blacks.
However, if black refs call more fouls on whites there needs to be an investigation because of this same majority.
Am I missing something?

Forgot to answer this question before. Yes, you are missing something. The study, not surprisingly, was based on fouls per minute played by whites and blacks - not on total number of fouls called.

Reaction Score

Just thought this was interesting..

You should tell Mike DiMauro about this. Sounds like something he might want
to do a column about. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members