Selection committee speaks | The Boneyard

Selection committee speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
According to the talking heads on SC, they've been told by a committee member that they've already picked 33 of the 36 at large teams. The three remaining selections will come from a pool of 21 teams. The bottom few teams of the 33 already selected could be bumped, depending upon any tournament upsets that might occur.

So, all things being equal, which they are not, if you're one of the 21 teams on the outside looking in, you've got a 3/21, or slightly better than 14 percent chance against the rest of those 21 teams. Either way, we are likely one of the 21 teams, or one of the last three already selected, so it still boils down to improving your own resume.

Reaction Score
Yeah, not buying this. Can't help but think we wouldn't be part of the teams already selected.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'd have a hard time believing this too. Way too many games to be played that the committee would already have their minds made up

Reaction Score
It's a statement that doesn't actually mean anything.

But I mean, obviously the only quibble is the exact number. There definitely are teams that are safe no matter what, and there are definitely teams that are out no matter what... that's really all they said.

Reaction Score
Either way, it's a snapshot in time.....just like Lunardi talking during a game timeout this week and saying, hours after Cuse lost to Pitt, that Cuse is one of his "last 4 in". But then immediately saying "but the chances of them making the field is VERY slim as they will get passed by".

caw

Reaction Score
That number probably isn't that off base, but it's irrelevant without saying which teams those are. Side note, it really means they have 41+Gonzaga as known teams because the top 8 conferences which all should have at least one at large haven't decided champions yet.

I'm still of the opinion the AAC deserves three teams in UConn, UC and Temple. I expect two at though unless a bevy of things happen.

Reaction Score
According to the talking heads on SC, they've been told by a committee member that they've already picked 33 of the 36 at large teams. The three remaining selections will come from a pool of 21 teams. The bottom few teams of the 33 already selected could be bumped, depending upon any tournament upsets that might occur.

So, all things being equal, which they are not, if you're one of the 21 teams on the outside looking in, you've got a 3/21, or slightly better than 14 percent chance against the rest of those 21 teams. Either way, we are likely one of the 21 teams, or one of the last three already selected, so it still boils down to improving your own resume.
I wonder how many of those alleged bubble games ESPN is broadcasting.

Reaction Score
The odds are much better than that for those 21 teams because a bunch of the 33 locks (probably 6-7) will end up winning auto bids and therefore be removed from the at large pool.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Also those "33 selected teams" aren't probably who ESPN or Lunardi have in or want you to believe are in. They could have UConn and Cinci in at the moment, but who knows.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It's like Lunardi's stupid last 4 in, last 4 out. Does it really matter if you're on the inside or outside? You're basically in the same spot. Until the regular season and conference tourneys are over, who's in and who's our is meaningless.

Reaction Score
Rip Van Winkle here.

I just noticed that our record (w-l only) is comparable to many other so called 'Tourney Lock' teams (many more with 9 losses):

ranked teams with 10 losses
Iowa State
Dook
Wisconsin
Baylor

I know our conference is not marketable/favorable to outsiders right now, but still its not like we are that bad or worse than the bunch.

With that said our fate is in our hands today, but even with a loss there could still be an opening. However with a loss today I'm not watching TV on Sunday, just will wait for Monday's headlines (NIT or NCAA).

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
We shouldn't accept an NIT bid if it comes to that. The NIT is for up and coming teams or very young teams that could benefit from additional games. Our team program has been there and done that, is not particularly young, and if the season ends today, should quickly forget this season and focus on the future. No use extending this disappointing season with the NIT. The players won't want to be there and will mail it in.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
We shouldn't accept an NIT bid if it comes to that. The NIT is for up and coming teams or very young teams that could benefit from additional games. Our team program has been there and done that, is not particularly young, and if the season ends today, should quickly forget this season and focus on the future. No use extending this disappointing season with the NIT. The players won't want to be there and will mail it in.
You can be the one to tell Calhoun, Nolan, Miller, and Gibbs that their last season is being voluntarily ended.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Up and coming teams like Kentucky and Georgetown. But we're above it. Got it. I think that "bruised fan egos" isn't a good enough excuse to decline a postseason bid and get more reps for Adams and Enoch.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Up and coming teams like Kentucky and Georgetown. But we're above it. Got it. I think that "bruised fan egos" isn't a good enough excuse to decline a postseason bid and get more reps for Adams and Enoch.
Do you really think Kentucky won't make the NCAA tourney? They may very well win it. And yes, I will tell those players that I'm ending their careers. The sooner they can start making big bucks playing overseas. There's a lot worse things in the world.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Do you really think Kentucky won't make the NCAA tourney? They may very well win it. And yes, I will tell those players that I'm ending their careers. The sooner they can start making big bucks playing overseas. There's a lot worse things in the world.

Kentucky went to the NIT in 2013. Nobody's "too good" for it. Also, just so you're aware, overseas teams don't start signing college graduates until the summer. Whether or not they play in the NIT has nothing to do with their earning potential - nobody's getting a European contract fresh out of school in mid-March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom