Select Your 3 X 3 Team from Existing or Prior UConn Players | The Boneyard

Select Your 3 X 3 Team from Existing or Prior UConn Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Who would you select from the existing players to build a 3 x 3 team and explain why you chose them. Also select a team from any prior players and why you chose them. Choose 4 members for each team.

I suspect the current players will be similar for most people. With the exception of DT who I would think would be on everyone's team, there could be a wide variety of teams for prior UConn players.

IMHO a successful 3 x 3 team needs a couple of outside shooters who ideally can score off the dribble. Additionally you need a strong player who's great at getting rebounds and can defend against players driving to the basket. I think all players should be quick and athletic

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tina, Maya,Diana, plus Ashley Battle

Tina because of her ability to rebound and her scoring inside and outside.
Maya because of her athleticism shooting, rebounding from everywhere and ability to post up.
Diana, nuff said.
Ashley Battle as my surprise pick for her athleticism, speed and devastating defense.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I really don't know how 3 x 3 is played, but my impression is it's half court based. If that is true, I'll toss the following slight deviation just to be a little contrary.

Taurasi (anything from 1 x 1 to 100 x 100 for her)
Moore (inside or out, 3 years from now might replace her with Stewart, or maybe not)
Wolters (our most unstoppable inside presence in the half court)

I doubt I've got it right in terms of the strategy for 3 x 3, maybe you do have to maximize your perimeter ability and/or your athleticism, but I needed an excuse to depart from the obvious.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I really don't know how 3 x 3 is played, but my impression is it's half court based. If that is true, I'll toss the following slight deviation just to be a little contrary.

Taurasi (anything from 1 x 1 to 100 x 100 for her)
Moore (inside or out, 3 years from now might replace her with Stewart, or maybe not)
Wolters (our most unstoppable inside presence in the half court)

I doubt I've got it right in terms of the strategy for 3 x 3, maybe you do have to maximize your perimeter ability and/or your athleticism, but I needed an excuse to depart from the obvious.

It is 3x3 on the court but it is, also, a four member team and the pace is fast and substituting is important because of the pace. Kara would probably suffer.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Yes, it is half-court based.

As much as I like Kara, I'm not sure this is her game. It seems to be more of a game for the mobile bigs (Charles, Ogwunike), than the presence bigs (Wolters, Paris)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
There are many, many great 4-person squads you could field from UCONN's alumni base. I will stick to them, even though we have some great current players now.

Here's a combo I like:

Tina
DT
Maya
LadyKG

Charde would also be an interesting choice. I would defer to those who have seen her play a lot more than I have.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
For practical sake, I am going to consider the question as if the game were being played tomorrow so it would exclude older players like Rebecca, Nykesha and Kara (though it would be nice to have her shot blocking.)

In the 3x3 game, how important is the point guard given that it is half court and there are lots of one on one iso plays? If you take Sue, then you lose a big, tough rebounder. To me, that is the toughest question. You could have DT3 run the offense but then you lose one of the great game managers and one of the "clutchest" players ever.

Another big question is that Breanna is an x factor. She hasn't accomplished anything yet in D1. Though if she is as good as advertised, you can make a compelling case for her because if she went out to a wing, she would take a big defender with her leaving a lot of room for DT/Maya to operate. Seems like that would be a big deal for 3x3 especially with her height.

Athletic defenders and slashers are well suited for 3x3 too. That makes me think of Kalana.

As I think about it, it pains me but I would probably leave Sue off bc of the nature of the 3x3 game.

Locks
DT3
Maya

That leaves two spots for either Tina, Breanna, Kalana and Asjha. Oy. (EDD would be a great complement to DT3 and Maya, but I can't do that)
I'm taking Breanna. No idea how well she will be on defense or rebounding versus bruisers, but if she can hit one or two shots from the outside, she is going to open up so much space in the middle. Plus, she would be a change of pace from Tina because both of them can not be in at the same time with Maya and DT3. I guess means that I am taking Tina too.

My 3x3
DT3
Maya
Tina
Breanna

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
For the older players, disregard their age and presume they could play the game as if they were in their prime. This allows to choose DT and if so desired Nkykesa and/or Kerry Bascomb.

For practical sake, I am going to consider the question as if the game were being played tomorrow so it would exclude older players like Rebecca, Nykesha and Kara (though it would be nice to have her shot blocking.)

In the 3x3 game, how important is the point guard given that it is half court and there are lots of one on one iso plays? If you take Sue, then you lose a big, tough rebounder. To me, that is the toughest question. You could have DT3 run the offense but then you lose one of the great game managers and one of the "clutchest" players ever.

Another big question is that Breanna is an x factor. She hasn't accomplished anything yet in D1. Though if she is as good as advertised, you can make a compelling case for her because if she went out to a wing, she would take a big defender with her leaving a lot of room for DT/Maya to operate. Seems like that would be a big deal for 3x3 especially with her height.

Athletic defenders and slashers are well suited for 3x3 too. That makes me think of Kalana.

As I think about it, it pains me but I would probably leave Sue off bc of the nature of the 3x3 game.

Locks
DT3
Maya

That leaves two spots for either Tina, Breanna, Kalana and Asjha. Oy. (EDD would be a great complement to DT3 and Maya, but I can't do that)
I'm taking Breanna. No idea how well she will be on defense or rebounding versus bruisers, but if she can hit one or two shots from the outside, she is going to open up so much space in the middle. Plus, she would be a change of pace from Tina because both of them can not be in at the same time with Maya and DT3. I guess means that I am taking Tina too.

My 3x3
DT3
Maya
Tina
Breanna

Reaction Score
Generally the game favors super versatile "talls" (Think Tina, Candice Parker, EDD, Breanna) or players who are really good at making something from nothing AND don't mind getting bumped around (DT, Renee M, Maya). You have to have at least one BIG who is strong in case you wind up defending against France (where as good as Chiney was, she had trouble defensively.) The game really isn't cut out for Annie - though she did pretty well all things considered.
Whoever you choose, you have to think lock down open space defenders - with only a 12 second shot clock, offenses "never" get set - you just have to poke and prod and make life miserable so the choice of Battle wouldn't be bad at all.
(I know that's not a team of 4 nor is it strictly limited to UCONN)

Reaction Score
Tina Charles
Tiffany Hayes
Maya Moore
Diana Taurasi

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If you have Maya and D, you don't really need a true PG, which is nice.

If you could have the players in their primes and nationality didn't matter, Tina and Svet would be my choices to round out the team. Otheriwse, I'm going with Tina and Asjha along with Maya and D as my alumnae team.

For my current player team, I'm choosing:

• Bria
  • KML
  • Breanna
  • Stef
Really sucks to leave off Kiah, Morgan, or Kelly for defensive purposes, but I think the above players all have strong inside-out games and would play well together.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Ericsandiego, Kibitzer, IceBear. Balance of East Coast/West Coast, severe climate/mild climate, and bear/non-bear.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ericsandiego, Kibitzer, IceBear. Balance of East Coast/West Coast, severe climate/mild climate, and bear/non-bear.
I do set a mean screen. might want to include old zorrogris for his cunning as the 4th.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In 3x3 defense everyone ends up defending ever opposing player for big portions of the game so you can't just think of a guard defending another guard but also defending the other teams bigger players. I was actually suprised at how well both Bria and Sky did and how well USA did with what was maybe a shorter than ideal team.
My ideal team of former Uconn players:
Dee
Maya
Tina
and then ... probably Shea just because she was so bloody minded in her peak. But I think Sveta or Nykesha would also be prime players.
And I wouldn't be surprised if dropping Tina for one of the others above might actually have more success. Tina is quick for a big and has a great midrange game, but ... the others are much quicker than she is.
For current team:
KML
Breanna
Bria
Morgan
Stef is not fast enough for this game and Kelly isn't enough of an offensive threat.
Great OP - fun question.

Reaction Score
Not a bad team but I'm trying to figure out which one is most offensive.
Who gets really defensive?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
My current team is going to be Bria, KML, Breanna and I'll go with Morgan. I was tempting to take Kiah because of her
rebounding and defense, but Morgan is probably the better scorer.

For my prior player team I'll take DT, Maya, Nykesha Sales, and for rebounding and defense I'll take Jamelle Elliott. Got to have someone who can get boards and play individual physical defense. I was tempted to go with Kerry Bascomb and just have a team that will score 21 points before any other team could. If you wanted to go with a two guards then Jen Rizzotti for her toughness and defense would be a good choice.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'm glad I chose to be contrary so I could be informed better about the nuances of 3 x 3. Of course, I could have just read the rules first (I did not know about the 12 second clock), but why do research when you have the Boneyard :).

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
My current team is going to be Bria, KML, Breanna and I'll go with Morgan. I was tempting to take Kiah because of her
rebounding and defense, but Morgan is probably the better scorer.

For my prior player team I'll take DT, Maya, Nykesha Sales, and for rebounding and defense I'll take Jamelle Elliott. Got to have someone who can get boards and play individual physical defense. I was tempted to go with Kerry Bascomb and just have a team that will score 21 points before any other team could. If you wanted to go with a two guards then Jen Rizzotti for her toughness and defense would be a good choice.

If we can go old school, I like Bascomb, Sales, Elliott and Rizzotti.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The ultimate team might be DT, Maya, Tina and Miss Stewart, if the latter turns out to be as great an all around player as we hope she is.

But replace Breanna with Bria if you want a more proven four.

Reaction Score
I am stunned that no one is this thread picked Sue Bird unless I missed it. She would certainly be in my 4 with Diana, Maya, and Tina. I saw people picking Bria Hartley, but not Sue Bird?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am stunned that no one is this thread picked Sue Bird unless I missed it. She would certainly be in my 4 with Diana, Maya, and Tina. I saw people picking Bria Hartley, but not Sue Bird?
Sue is a great player, but ... I think she is too short to be a great choice for 3x3 because she would end up guarding much bigger players for much of the game. DT made my list because she is such an offensive force.
I think the best players in 3x3 are actually forwards with great outside shots and agility/athleticism/speed. Centers tend to be too slow and shorter guards can be overpower by bigger players - for example think of Sue playing one on one against Maya - she could be easily backed down on defense and is not fast enough to get around Maya on offense.
Not that Sue wouldn't be a good player, but with 20 years of players to choose from, there are better options. With current team, you don't have as many options so Bria becomes more likely to be selected.

Reaction Score
Sue is the same height as Bria Hartley, and taller than Diggins. I think you're fixating too much on one aspect of 3x3. 3x3 is a game where long range shots are worth twice as much there is tremendous value to having the most consistent shooter in UConn history. Sue also gets her mid-range shot off 1 on 1 whenever she wants with her crossover. And I think people underestimate just how quick Sue is to loose balls, which plays a huge role in 3x3 because made shots can be taken back to the three-point line as quickly as possible which also often leads to an open 3.

The NBA used to promote 3x3 tournaments on under the Hoop It Up banner. The teams that typically won typically weren't exceptionally athletic, but they could really shoot and were really smart about understanding the game. Sounds like Sue Bird to me.

Sue is a great player, but ... I think she is too short to be a great choice for 3x3 because she would end up guarding much bigger players for much of the game. DT made my list because she is such an offensive force.
I think the best players in 3x3 are actually forwards with great outside shots and agility/athleticism/speed. Centers tend to be too slow and shorter guards can be overpower by bigger players - for example think of Sue playing one on one against Maya - she could be easily backed down on defense and is not fast enough to get around Maya on offense.
Not that Sue wouldn't be a good player, but with 20 years of players to choose from, there are better options. With current team, you don't have as many options so Bria becomes more likely to be selected.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sue is the same height as Bria Hartley, and taller than Diggins. I think you're fixating too much on one aspect of 3x3. 3x3 is a game where long range shots are worth twice as much there is tremendous value to having the most consistent shooter in UConn history. Sue also gets her mid-range shot off 1 on 1 whenever she wants with her crossover. And I think people underestimate just how quick Sue is to loose balls, which plays a huge role in 3x3 because made shots can be taken back to the three-point line as quickly as possible which also often leads to an open 3.

The NBA used to promote 3x3 tournaments on under the Hoop It Up banner. The teams that typically won typically weren't exceptionally athletic, but they could really shoot and were really smart about understanding the game. Sounds like Sue Bird to me.
And I think the USA was pretty lucky to win the 3x3 with that team - helped that I don't think anybody but France (maybe) really took the 'national' team aspect of it too seriously including the USA. I agree that deep shooting is very important and also smarts, but watching Hartley and Diggins on defense when they ran pick and roles and ended guarding significantly taller players was not pretty. I think Sue would be in the same situation.
And I have been watching a player like Maya guarding guards lately in the WNBA - while she is a step slower, she has the advantage of being able to play a step off them and still bother/block shots because of her length and leaping ability. The step off prevents them from getting clearance to go around her with their better speed.
Hey - would Sue have been better than Hartley or Diggins - yes! Would she be better than Maya, Nykesha, or Sveta in all of their primes - I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom