Seize the Day! | The Boneyard

Seize the Day!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Back when cable was pretty new, I worked with a big college football fan. I can't remember who his team was but I still remember who his bandwagon team was: the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors. Why? He had a bad back and couldn't sleep very well. And the only football on late back then was Hawaii. It became a habit. He never missed a game, they became "his" Rainbow Warriors.

The time is now to start trying to build a new identity. We're going to be on the same network at about the same time for the most of the season. If we can get something going we might be able to build a following from this. An alternative from another boring slate of ESPN and Fox games. How about a team that'll play anyone, anywhere and give 'em a game? The Horseshoe? Sure! Death Valley? Not a problem!

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We need an exciting (high scoring) brand of football to capture attention. The past couple of years I've been watching a lot of Boise State Friday / Saturday late night games and jumped on the blue turf bandwagon because they are typically high scoring fast moving games. I've probably watched more Boise State the past few years than UConn because UConn's run-run-pass-punt brand of football just doesn't do it for me. Does seem like RE2.0 is a little more open to a modern offense, but since Lashlee left he has sort of slowly regressed back to his old play calling ways.

EDIT: We need it to be high scoring by both teams. The other team typically has that part covered... now we need UConn to match that offensive output.

Reaction Score
We need an exciting (high scoring) brand of football to capture attention. The past couple of years I've been watching a lot of Boise State Friday / Saturday late night games and jumped on the blue turf bandwagon because they are typically high scoring fast moving games. I've probably watched more Boise State the past few years than UConn because UConn's run-run-pass-punt brand of football just doesn't do it for me. Does seem like RE2.0 is a little more open to a modern offense, but since Lashlee left he has sort of slowly regressed back to his old play calling ways.

EDIT: We need it to be high scoring by both teams. The other team typically has that part covered... now we need UConn to match that offensive output.
Wrong HC for that my friend. Grind on O, bend on D and suck the life out the opponent and those watching. For Edsall, a win is having the ball with 1:30 on the clock tied 10-10, irrespective of outcome.

Reaction Score
At least the groundwork is set to make the HC job attractive. Best possible outcome we could have hoped for. Notre Dame used this route to their advantage. Why they love their independence so much.

Reaction Score
And how much are we going to pay the next head coach in everyone’s opinion?

If the administration truly supports the football program they need to significantly increase head coaching salary and assistant pool.

The fact Edsall wasn’t fired should tell you everything you need to know about commitment to the football program.

Reaction Score

If the administration truly supports the football program they need to significantly increase head coaching salary and assistant pool.

The fact Edsall wasn’t fired should tell you everything you need to know about commitment to the football program.
We have a new president, new board of trustees chair and new governor. We should give them a chance to show support for FB.

Reaction Score
I've probably watched more Boise State the past few years than UConn because UConn's run-run-pass-punt brand of football just doesn't do it for me.

Don't forget the two holding calls and one false start per series.

Reaction Score
We have a new president, new board of trustees chair and new governor. We should give them a chance to show support for FB.

They have been here for a bit - what have they shown thus far?

I think a great philosopher one said “Talk is cheap”. They can say whatever they want, what are they actually doing?

Reaction Score
Edsall sticking around was essential for the changes we've made. Needed a face of stability.

it sounded like he was blindsided by the move soI can’t think he was that needed.

Reaction Score
UConn has to keep its eyes on the ultimate prize: getting into a P5 conference, such as B10 or ACC. Going to CBS Sports Network for FB can't hurt. But UConn men's and women's BB can't provide excuses this year.
No attack @LoyalFanCT but what are you smoking? This from another thread calling out the BB teams making excuses??? The women are one of the most respected teams in the nation, 11 NC's and went 29-3 with no post season. The men under Dan are making a very quick turnaround from the Ollie sink hole went 19-12 with no post season.
They are the reason UConn got back in the BE Conference. ;)

Again NO personal attack as you may not keep up with current news. FYI we are a state school which had to take cutbacks last year. Many are calling for a higher paid HC ..... It simply ain't happening right now. DB has shown his appreciation for Randy taking over a D2 team and understands the time it takes to turn things around. This with multiple road blocks that keep coming up. The pandemic being the latest. I doubt the school sees a lot of additional support for sports anytime soon. Not one of doom and gloom but a realist, and I do have my tickets, I'll be there. This is from two weeks ago, he painted pretty much the same picture today in the afternoon update.
Lamont Paints Bleak Picture of COVID-19’s Economic Impact on Connecticut

Reaction Score
it sounded like he was blindsided by the move soI can’t think he was that needed.
Even if he was blindsided, it still gives a perception of stability going forward. Which probably helped with this TV deal. We look like we are at least trying.

Another of the values of Connecticut is that it is well populated historic ground for football and basketball. And that in itself is useful in marketing.

Our success in the original Big East has been parlayed into national exposure and we continue to grow the school (or damn brand), however possible.

Reaction Score
1589326713909.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm no Randy fan but it made no sense to fire him at the end of last season. Circumstances have proven that to be the right call. Like Butch said, the stability of keeping him is a plus right now. And this new TV contract should be motivating. The buyout is greatly reduced at the same time the job has become more attractive.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Speaking from longtime marketing/PR experience, here are some changes I'd like to see made beginning immediately:
- a GoFundMe to buy an outrageous RV to become a central point for home tailgates and something that gets camera time at road games. I nominate @coachcap to be the driver and head chef, with the understanding that he needs to attend some food stylist training to make that ish look mouthwatering on camera.
- fire the music director. From here on out, we use nothing that other schools use. No "Welcome to the Jungle", no "Sweet Caroline" or any other trite and overplayed BS. Build our own identity musically. Could be hardcore rock, but I'd love to see some late 70s/early 80s punk in there, along with more recent vintage beats.
- find a vendor who will subcontract to produce food products that align with the brand. Many of you philistines enjoy kid food like "boneless" wings. Let's make then dog bone shaped and add some actual taste to the things and get them ranked among the best gameday foods in college football.
- what does CT do best in the country? We all know the answer. So let's get a donor or two to build a giant pizza oven in the parking lot, send some culinary-minded students each year to train in NH, and let them have it, with proceeds to the student fund or whatever. You think any SEC or B1G school has a giant outdoor pizza oven? Nope. Could be far worse things to be known for than "Pizza U" (which has its own branding potential).

Reaction Score
Speaking from longtime marketing/PR experience, here are some changes I'd like to see made beginning immediately:
- a GoFundMe to buy an outrageous RV to become a central point for home tailgates and something that gets camera time at road games. I nominate @coachcap to be the driver and head chef, with the understanding that he needs to attend some food stylist training to make that ish look mouthwatering on camera.
- fire the music director. From here on out, we use nothing that other schools use. No "Welcome to the Jungle", no "Sweet Caroline" or any other trite and overplayed BS. Build our own identity musically. Could be hardcore rock, but I'd love to see some late 70s/early 80s punk in there, along with more recent vintage beats.
- find a vendor who will subcontract to produce food products that align with the brand. Many of you philistines enjoy kid food like "boneless" wings. Let's make then dog bone shaped and add some actual taste to the things and get them ranked among the best gameday foods in college football.
- what does CT do best in the country? We all know the answer. So let's get a donor or two to build a giant pizza oven in the parking lot, send some culinary-minded students each year to train in NH, and let them have it, with proceeds to the student fund or whatever. You think any SEC or B1G school has a giant outdoor pizza oven? Nope. Could be far worse things to be known for than "Pizza U" (which has its own branding potential).

See if Rutgers will sell you the hot tub that they had in their stadium a few years ago. I bet they would throw in all the STDs that come with it for free.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
See if Rutgers will sell you the hot tub that they had in their stadium a few years ago. I bet they would throw in all the STDs that come with it for free.

Again, we don't want to copy anyone. Go our own way.

I wasn't aware of the hot tub. Did anyone produce t-shirts proudly proclaiming Rutty as a member of the Pee-5? Missed $$ opportunity there if not.

Reaction Score

Nope Edsall came in and gave AD Dave an honest evaluation that it would take 5 years to turn the mess that Pasqualoni and Diaco (and Manuel too) had created. He will get the full 5 years. If you look at comparable disasters, and they are few and far between, that’s what it takes. When he showed up it was not just a bad football team, it was a team with little in the way of talent from top to bottom. Diaco recruited FCS players. Not sure whether he didn’t understand or didn’t respect the level UConn played at but in either case by the time the few Pasqualoni holdovers left there was Very little. Peart and that was about it. Look at last years receivers as an example and you see the upgrade.
As far as the run run pass nonsense , you guys clearly didn’t watch UConn. With the exception of UMass they threw it a lot. But they scored virtually at will on the ground against the Minutemen. And lots of points. What problem did you have with A. a win and B. 56 points?
I have to admit that I’m in the minority though. I actually like to see teams play defense. These 58-45 games bore me silly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom