Seen this Paige vid? | The Boneyard

Seen this Paige vid?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the video. I like everything about her. She has an unconventional shot but she's deadly with it. Her ball handling, court awareness and passing are almost beyond belief.

She'll have Geno smiling for four years.

At first look she appears to be skinny. She IS thin, but she has substantial muscle development, especially in her core and upper legs.

Maybe her strongest asset is her attitude.

I would LOVE to know how much video Geno watched before he was sold on her. Not much, I would guess.

Reaction Score
Well, even though they didn't show us any of her attempted highlight reel passes that became turnovers instead of assists, and even though her defense probably sucks horribly compared with her offense, I agree: by the time she's done at UConn, she'll be number five (chronologically): Bird, Taurasi, Moore, Stewart, and Bueckers. Better than Charles? Better than Sales? Who the heck really knows, of course, least of all me, but yes, I think so (and I LOVED Nykesha Sales). She reminds me of a smaller Ionescu.

Reaction Score
this video seems a bit much for a high school kid. This is what happens when adults get involved early. These promotional videos have been getting more and more complex and sophisticated every year, Pretty soon we will have full length movies. I know she is the second coming for women's college basketball....but there is a risk with this stuff.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
this video seems a bit much for a high school kid. This is what happens when adults get involved early. These promotional videos have been getting more and more complex and sophisticated every year, Pretty soon we will have full length movies. I know she is the second coming for women's college basketball....but there is a risk with this stuff.

Something wrong with full length movies of extraordinary players and people? :eek::confused:

Reaction Score
I suspect this will be toned down quite a bit once she arrives in Storrs.

Reaction Score

It's actually not a very good video in that the daily lives of teenagers are mainly of interest to themselves--not really "complex and sophisticated" (mostly silly). BUT put a basketball in Paige's hands and you quickly stop thinking of her as anything other than an athletic dynamo. I can't wait to see her in a UConn uni.

Reaction Score
Awesome video.... leaves me with one big question, though... does anyone know if Paige passed her driving test on Nov 4? :)

I was asking the same thing. The way she parked and that she didn’t know if the car started...makes me think no

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Kids are doing these all themselves these days--this is just a longer insta story Chest puffing's a national past time. All about the clout

Reaction Score
She has an unconventional shot but she's deadly with it.

What the heck are you talking about??? Head bangHead bangHead bang

As someone who was a pure shooter/scorer at the college and European pro level as well as a coach....if Paige has what you would call an unconventional shot...I would be interested in what you think a conventional (fundamental) shot would look like.

Paige gets the ball from her hands to release about as quick as any player I have ever seen whether high school or college. Her quickness of motion and release is impressive. As she gets physically stronger with age she will elevate higher and become almost impossible to guard because her shooting motion is so quick.

The quicker the shooting motion, the more conventional the fundamentals must be. As anyone who is a high level scorer at an elite level knows, that is a law.

Paige has textbook fundamentals and form in her shot which is the basis for her terrific range and consistency. None of this would be true with an unconventional shot.

So Paige...if you happen to be reading this...sometimes you just have to ignore the things that others don't know.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, even though they didn't show us any of her attempted highlight reel passes that became turnovers instead of assists, and even though her defense probably sucks horribly compared with her offense, I agree: by the time she's done at UConn, she'll be number five (chronologically): Bird, Taurasi, Moore, Stewart, and Bueckers. Better than Charles? Better than Sales? Who the heck really knows, of course, least of all me, but yes, I think so (and I LOVED Nykesha Sales). She reminds me of a smaller Ionescu.
They are the same height. In three years, they will most likely also be the same weight.

Reaction Score
She reminds me of a smaller Ionescu.

Imo Paige is as dynamic and talented as Diana Taurasi was during her UConn years and plays the game very much like Taurasi does. But Ionescu is really, really good, too. :)

Reaction Score
What the heck are you talking about??? Head bangHead bangHead bang

As someone who was a pure shooter/scorer at the college and European pro level as well as a coach....if Paige has what you would call an unconventional shot...I would be interested in what you think a conventional (fundamental) shot would look like.

Paige gets the ball from her hands to release about as quick as any player I have ever seen whether high school or college. Her quickness of motion and release is impressive. As she gets physically stronger with age she will elevate higher and become almost impossible to guard because her shooting motion is so quick.

The quicker the shooting motion, the more conventional the fundamentals must be. As anyone who is a high level scorer at an elite level knows, that is a law.

Paige has textbook fundamentals and form in her shot which is the basis for her terrific range and consistency. None of this would be true with an unconventional shot.

So Paige...if you happen to be reading this...sometimes you just have to ignore the things that others don't know.

Keep doing what you are doing.
Pure shooter is usually a euphemism for "can't do anything else very well".

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I was referring to her waist high release point for her set shot. "Pure shooters" who release from the waist eat a lot of those shots.

I have no quibbles with her rotation or her arc, or on her shots other than her set shot.

Don't be so strident when taking exception to an otherwise laudatory post. Try decaf.

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Pure shooter is usually a euphemism for "can't do anything else very well".

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I was referring to her waist high release point for her jump (set) shot. "Pure shooters" who release from the waist eat a lot of those shots.

Waist High release point? Where are you seeing that?????? Her release is well above her head.

Reaction Score
Waist High release point? Where are you seeing that?????? Her release is well above her head.

That's a jump shot. When I mentioned "waist high release" I was talking about her set shot. She did a shoot around, possibly a game of "horse" with an African American man, I didn't catch his identity, somewhere in the video, midway through if my memory serves me. She hit everything, but like I said, there was that waist high release. Chest high or shoulder high is what I consider to be a standard release point for a set shot.

Possibly she was shooting from outside her normal range, and was "flinging" shots, in which case I wasn't looking at her usual set shot.

And by the way, I believe it's physically impossible to release a jump shot from the waist. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as her jump shot goes, it's a little unconventional, as well. In the picture in your post, notice how her right hand is at "7 o'clock" instead of "6 o'clock". Most good jump shooters have their shooting hand directly under the ball. To me, it doesn't matter. I grew up in Indiana and, believe me, I saw some good shooters. One of the best jump shooters I ever saw put his shooting hand almost on the side of ball and released his shot with sidespin, and hit almost everything.

The rotation on her set shot appears to be perfect: direct backward rotation. That "7 o'clock" hand position on her jumper HAS to produce an off-center rotation.

That's all I'm saying. Her shot is a little unorthodox, but that doesn't make it wrong if it works for her, which it apparently does. I'm also not suggesting she change anything. Read my post. I think she's great!

One question, why do you feel the need to use SIX question marks, and what does that signify? I have a hard time interpreting eccentric punctuation, like dozens of dots for an ellipsis, which is properly three dots. I assume six question marks to mean some sort of outrage. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When I hear shooting from the waist I think Coombs.

In the past. From now on, our future is magical

1574276825829.png

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
One question, why do you feel the need to use SIX question marks, and what does that signify? I have a hard time interpreting eccentric punctuation, like dozens of dots for an ellipsis, which is properly three dots. I assume six question marks to mean some sort of outrage. I hope I'm wrong.

Six question marks? I dunno. I didn't count. I just held my finger on the key a bit. If you knew me you would realize I really don't do rage.

Multiple Question marks because I was very puzzled. I haven't seen any video of her playing in a game where she resorted to a set shot or where her release was anything close to low. Her release in her jump shot is relatively high.

I'm not going to get into any discussion of her jump shot form. Being critical of her form would seem to me to be a "reach" (see what I did there). I think that the results seem to speak for itself (for themselves?).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom