Seems that Villanova isn't too happy about Temple | The Boneyard

Seems that Villanova isn't too happy about Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someone has to tell Villanova it isn't about the basketball anymore. They sort of get that, but they need to hear it daily.

Reaction Score
Looks like a white paper written by BC in response to UConn joining the ACC.

Reaction Score
Even if the 'Nova leaders understood and agreed with the decision, they would have to publicly say they were against it to appease their fans and donors.

Reaction Score
I'm so tired of that argument. Nova had a chance to upgrade its football back when UConn did and that probably would have led to them having the contract for the Linc instead of Temple. They decided not to do so (and given the school's size and resources I suspect it was the right decision) and Temple took advantage of the opportunity. Now Nova purportedly wants to upgrade and there are no good options. That's life. The BE has to expand and Nova is not a viable option.

As for having to share a market, you can either whine about it and be obstructionist (see De Filippo, Gene) or make the most of it. Promote it. Build a rivalry. Having made their bed a decade ago, it's the only choice they have left.

Reaction Score
Well stated Kibbles...for what its worth, DePhilipo was the Villanova AD before moving to BC...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
That's a suburban newspaper complaining. Ignore them. No quotes, no Nova reaction. They know the reality.

Reaction Score
Someone has to tell Villanova it isn't about the basketball anymore. They sort of get that, but they need to hear it daily.
It is about basketball for them and also about football and they don't need competition in their own back yard. I'd rather see Nova upgrade their football than take Temple.

Reaction Score
Imagine of corporations could pull this same crap that universities can...
When did collusion become legal?

The best thing that could happen to BC and Uconn is for them to play. i get that BC doesn't want to fuel Uconn's progress but at this point we're on the same level. But, imagine the level of interest that would come from Uconn and BC playing a football game at the Rent or at BC. The game would mean something even if both teams were fighting for last place. I think that this rivalry would create more interest in both programs and in turn help to grow the area's interest in college football.

As an example, look at the Beanpot. That tourney thrives on the rivalry between those schools for hockey...

Rivalries (competition) are good for the fanbase (consumer).

Reaction Score
I'm so tired of that argument. Nova had a chance to upgrade its football back when UConn did and that probably would have led to them having the contract for the Linc instead of Temple. They decided not to do so (and given the school's size and resources I suspect it was the right decision) and Temple took advantage of the opportunity. Now Nova purportedly wants to upgrade and there are no good options. That's life. The BE has to expand and Nova is not a viable option.

As for having to share a market, you can either whine about it and be obstructionist (see De Filippo, Gene) or make the most of it. Promote it. Build a rivalry. Having made their bed a decade ago, it's the only choice they have left.
And exactly what is the BE geting with Temple? Certainly not a top football program. Villanova could compete with Temple right now.

Reaction Score
Danzz,

they are getting a Top 25 basketball program to replace one of the 3 Top 25 programs that are leaving in the next 2 years. that Temple also plays footballl makes the addition easier. Villanova is never ever going to pull off an upgrade unless the Big East pays for it. Ain't happening.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Temple is a steaming garbage heap.

How many programs have ever been thrown out of a conference before? Nothing has changed for them -- we're just drunker and it's closer to last call.

Show some restraint, suffer in the short run and avoid bogging the conference down with yet another dead-end nothing.

Reaction Score
Temple is a steaming garbage heap.

How many programs have ever been thrown out of a conference before? Nothing has changed for them -- we're just drunker and it's closer to last call.

Show some restraint, suffer in the short run and avoid bogging the conference down with yet another dead-end nothing.

I tend to agree with this. I don't know why we needed Temple for football, and if we brought them in only to have an 8th this year it was the wrong move.

Having said that, I would bet that these decisions are being totally driven by television consultants and that neither Temple nor Memphis were added without everyone having been given a study showing how it would increase the per capita payments. But god only knows.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Having said that, I would bet that these decisions are being totally driven by television consultants and that neither Temple nor Memphis were added without everyone having been given a study showing how it would increase the per capita payments. But god only knows.

Bingo.

Losing Pitt and SU and WVU in basketball? Adding Memphis, Temple, Houston and UCF pretty much covers the demographics as well as it can be covered. Easier to place a BE Network in Philly with two local teams in the Big 5.

Football's a mess. SDSU and SMU and Memphis? At least they are major markets with good press coverage if lightning strikes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with this. I don't know why we needed Temple for football, and if we brought them in only to have an 8th this year it was the wrong move.

I think we're well-past television consultants and have moved into any-port-in-a-storm consultants. You don't need to hire a consultant to teach you how to scoop the last fish out of a nearly empty barrel.

Reaction Score
The Temple move may be part of a larger effort to placate Comcast, prior to NBC and others bidding on the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom