Seems like we've heard this argument before in WCBB | The Boneyard

Seems like we've heard this argument before in WCBB

Reaction Score
College sports is a dirty business, especially big time football in a conference like the SEC. While I can't say I blame the UConn fans for being upset about the accusations thrown by UT in 2006, the fact is most big time football and men's basketball programs get accusations thrown at them like that very often and that's just part of the game. The amounts of money at stake are borderline obscene and I love college football but there is an ugly side to the sport.

I'm not stupid, there are no programs in a revenue generating sport at the D1 level that would escape a major investigation unscathed. The pressure to win is tremendous and many schools will do whatever they can to win.

What's nice about this board is that even if there is an occasional spirited post, most dialogue is kept at a fairly high level. I followed an old SEC football board several years back and it was ridiculous how childish and vile some of the dialogue could be.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
What's nice about this board is that even if there is an occasional spirited post, most dialogue is kept at a fairly high level. I followed an old SEC football board several years back and it was ridiculous how childish and vile some of the dialogue could be.

I'm with you on this!

Reaction Score
Even with a cursory search of the five previous classes...you can see that he gets a lot of good players, but he never had the #1 overall player. Two 2s and a 4 I think, and definitely a lot of the #1 players at their position, but he’s not getting the Nos. 1-5 every year and just winning. He does actually work some magic with them.

Definitely an argument we’ve heard before

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When you are on top so long, you know what you are doing. And all without a top QB although this may be changing.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
College sports is a dirty business, especially big time football in a conference like the SEC. While I can't say I blame the UConn fans for being upset about the accusations thrown by UT in 2006, the fact is most big time football and men's basketball programs get accusations thrown at them like that very often and that's just part of the game. The amounts of money at stake are borderline obscene and I love college football but there is an ugly side to the sport.

I'm not stupid, there are no programs in a revenue generating sport at the D1 level that would escape a major investigation unscathed. The pressure to win is tremendous and many schools will do whatever they can to win.

An American issue= we LOVE violence - Even Wrestling Football, ROUGH & Tumble NBA, and seems like making WNBA pretty rough - Is women's college basketball aslo getting same ?? Around for 8+ (1962 grad) decades and it seems like last few years in UCONN women's program a lot MOE contact etc, ?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Most elite D1 programs take the "Al Davis/Raiders approach": If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying. That's one collegiate sport you have to keep up with the Jones. :cool:

Reaction Score
Even with a cursory search of the five previous classes...you can see that he gets a lot of good players, but he never had the #1 overall player. Two 2s and a 4 I think, and definitely a lot of the #1 players at their position, but he’s not getting the Nos. 1-5 every year and just winning. He does actually work some magic with them.

Saban is a good coach - but he doesn't have to work a lot of magic. He gets the best recruiting class every year. For example, looking at the Scout/247 rankings in past years we find Alabama with the following rankings:

2010-13 (Combined): #1
2014: #1
2015: #1
2016: #1
2017: #1

Rivals agrees with all of the above rankings with the exception of 2015 when they ranked Alabama #2.

If you put all of the recent rankings of recruiting classes together, Alabama is so far ahead that you can't even see #2.

Reaction Score
McGraw at ND said some cheating goes on in WCBB at a much smaller level.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Saban is a good coach - but he doesn't have to work a lot of magic. He gets the best recruiting class every year. For example, looking at the Scout/247 rankings in past years we find Alabama with the following rankings:

2010-13 (Combined): #1
2014: #1
2015: #1
2016: #1
2017: #1

Rivals agrees with all of the above rankings with the exception of 2015 when they ranked Alabama #2.

If you put all of the recent rankings of recruiting classes together, Alabama is so far ahead that you can't even see #2.

I guess you could say that Alabama today, is the football equivalent of UCLA basketball during the Wooden era. Wooden got most of the recruits he wanted because (back then), the pool was much smaller, UCLA was a very high profile team (on TV a lot), and they were winning championships. If you played basketball, and UCLA offered you, you grabbed it. Wooden was legendary while he was still coaching. Interesting side note. It's my understanding that John Wooden did not do home visits. His assistants did. He did do one home visit though, guess who???......................................................Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor Jr., out of Power Memorial High School, Manhattan NY. (AKA Kareem Abdul-Jabbar). :cool:

Reaction Score

I tend to think most of what goes on isn't cheating but more unethical behavior and the higher the stakes, the more rampant I think it could be.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

And a much smaller level when compared to the men's game can still be whole lot. Not talking about Geno, but I have certainly heard of some other coaches dishing out SUVs.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If the sport continues to grow ($) look for that to increase. :(

I have never played the lottery in my life.. And I don't plan to start..... But if i ever slipped up and played... And happen to win a huge power ball jackpot ... Let's just say things would change alot for Duke WCBB and their players :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:eek::eek::cool::p;);)

Reaction Score
I guess you could say that Alabama today, is the football equivalent of UCLA basketball during the Wooden era. Wooden got most of the recruits he wanted because (back then), the pool was much smaller, UCLA was a very high profile team (on TV a lot), and they were winning championships. If you played basketball, and UCLA offered you, you grabbed it. Wooden was legendary while he was still coaching. Interesting side note. It's my understanding that John Wooden did not do home visits. His assistants did. He did do one home visit though, guess who???.........Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor Jr., out of Power Memorial High School, Manhattan NY. (AKA Kareem Abdul-Jabbar). :cool:
AND he had his impressive crew of millionaire boosters making college life very comfortable for his players in sunny SoCal. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom