Seeking Your Thoughts On Akok | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seeking Your Thoughts On Akok

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He plays better when we have a fluid offense. He’s awesome at setting high screens and rolling, or stepping out. Or setting a back screen and flashing to the corner.

When it’s rogue, garbage offense out there like 99% of Atlantis Tournament, he struggles.

Reaction Score
My thoughts on Akok?

Great kid. Tremendous off ball defender who showed glimpse of other high level skills.

But honestly, he had a few week stretch in high school that rocketed him up rankings into the low 30s. Other than that 2-3 week stretch and brief glimpses his freshmen year I think the fan base overrates him considerably.
Watching yesterday’s game I couldn’t help but think about Ajou Deng. Starting to get a little concerned that when the lights come on for big games, that he disappears.

Reaction Score
I think it might just be a match up thing with him. Certain games he will make an impact depending on the team we’re playing

Reaction Score
The next time Akok makes an impact on the floor in a competitive game will also be his first time.
What are you talking about? I posted these lines from his freshman year in a different thread.

• 9 boards against Florida
  • 5 points, 7 reb, 6 blocks against Miami
  • 9 points, 5 reb, 5 blocks against Indiana
  • 8 points, 9 reb, 4 blocks at Cincinnati
  • 7 points, 4 reb, 3 blocks against Villanova

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? I posted these lines from his freshman year in a different thread.

• 9 boards against Florida
  • 5 points, 7 reb, 6 blocks against Miami
  • 9 points, 5 reb, 5 blocks against Indiana
  • 8 points, 9 reb, 4 blocks at Cincinnati
  • 7 points, 4 reb, 3 blocks against Villanova
I was better myself years ago. If he’s still capable of this he better show it or his season is on the pine. We need that from him big time.

Reaction Score
IMO: Next years starting line up if all the seniors leave and Sanogo goes pro

Gaffney-Hawkins-Jackson-Akok-Clingan (6th man Karaban)

As of right now I don’t see anyone making the first round of the draft. Sanogo could be MAYBE a late first round or early second round. Whaley could be a late second round. I think Polley, Martin, Cole and Whaley could all make a G-League roster. As for Hawkins... let’s wait and see :) I think he can be a late NBA first round pick but he should wait until next year. As for Sanogo I think it’s his last year, he may not be ready right now but it’s only November. We will be lucky to have him next year but I hope he goes pro

Reaction Score
IMO: Next years starting line up if all the seniors leave and Sanogo goes pro

Gaffney-Hawkins-Jackson-Akok-Clingan (6th man Karaban)

As of right now I don’t see anyone making the first round of the draft. Sanogo could be MAYBE a late first round or early second round. Whaley could be a late second round. I think Polley, Martin, Cole and Whaley could all make a G-League roster. As for Hawkins... let’s wait and see :) I think he can be a late NBA first round pick but he should wait until next year. As for Sanogo I think it’s his last year, he may not be ready right now but it’s only November. We will be lucky to have him next year but I hope he goes pro
The lineup will look nothing like that. Cole, Hawkins, Jackson, Samson, Sanogo.

Reaction Score
He's a tweener -- has the skill and physical attributes to do a lot of things well, but not enough handle to create his own shot, not enough physicality to be a post-up threat, not a pure enough shooter that you hunt shots for him off of screens.

On defense, he's too skinny to defend posts and not quick enough laterally to defend guards. He's a good help defender and can run the floor, but otherwise needs a lot to go right from everyone else to set him up to be successful.

Honestly, he's the prototypical player who looks amazing in individual workouts and measurables, but doesn't fit efficiently in a 5-on-5 setting.

Reaction Score
Sanogo’s current game isn’t an ideal fit for today’s NBA game but he’s so strong, with great footwork and an incredibly soft touch that he’ll still bring great value to an NBA team. Plus, his free throw stroke is so smooth that he could develop an outside shot. I think he’s definitely gone after this season. Also, if Gaffney is our starting PG I’d be shocked and less than enthused about the season.

Reaction Score
Sanogo’s current game isn’t an ideal fit for today’s NBA game but he’s so strong, with great footwork and an incredibly soft touch that he’ll still bring great value to an NBA team. Plus, his free throw stroke is so smooth that he could develop an outside shot. I think he’s definitely gone after this season. Also, if Gaffney is our starting PG I’d be shocked and less than enthused about the season.
The NBA isn't interested in 6'8 low post centers who can't pass. If he's interested in playing in the NBA he'll be back next year.

Reaction Score
The NBA isn't interested in 6'8 low post centers who can't pass. If he's interested in playing in the NBA he'll be back next year.
Is it that he can’t pass though or has been unwilling to? I agree he’d benefit greatly from another season but he’d still get drafted this year.

Reaction Score
I am still very optimistic about Akok. He will break out at some point this season. He works hard, has great focus and appears to be healthy. Once he gets into the flow, I'm confident it will click.

Reaction Score
Sanogo needs another year. Prior to the Bahamas I thought Hawk may be a one and done but his handles are not close to good enough. He’s definitely going to the NBA after next season though.

I hope Akok finds his groove soon. The staff needs to help some of these guys be in the best position to succeed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He has length, blocking ability and shooting skills, and he's coming back from injury but...
Of all our players he was not up to it physically for this tournament. For his position he doesn't have the strength on either end of the floor. When wide open he can make a 3 but he doesn't attack the rim and in general is a weak player. Disappointing for sure so far and I'm not blaming the injury.

He isn’t a 5. Dan keeps playing him as a 5. That leaves him overmatched on D. He needs to play with Sanogo as much as possible.

We don’t use him smartly. He is a good screener and can even knock down a shot on a kickback and he can execute a pick and roll. He’s being wasted. It all goes back to Hurley not playing the 5 in drop, which sets up too many other guys to fail. Aside from maybe Hawkins he’s the fastest guy on the team and can fly on the break. That also makes him a huge weapon on the press break if we use it. With his length and speed he will get to a deep pass behind the D.

Reaction Score
He isn’t a 5. Dan keeps playing him as a 5. That leaves him overmatched on D. He needs to play with Sanogo as much as possible.

We don’t use him smartly. He is a good screener and can even knock down a shot on a kickback and he can execute a pick and roll. He’s being wasted. It all goes back to Hurley not playing the 5 in drop, which sets up too many other guys to fail. Aside from maybe Hawkins he’s the fastest guy on the team and can fly on the break. That also makes him a huge weapon on the press break if we use it. With his length and speed he will get to a deep pass behind the D.
I know we talk about this every year, but with our lack of ball handlers and slew of athletes that are much better suited for an up tempo game, it’s imperative we get out on the break a lot this year. Andre, Martin, Akok and probably Hawkins would all be at their best in that type of game.

Reaction Score
He really needs to learn how to put the ball on the floor and get moving towards the hoop to make something happen. I am bearish that this will ever materialize because as we know ball handling seems to be one of those you either have it or you don’t type of things, but there is a chance he can still improve. the current role of catch and shoot from 3 at a mediocre percentage leaves him as a mediocre player

Reaction Score
Apparently the NBA comp is Montrez Harrell. But Sanogo has a better low post game already.

Reaction Score
If Whaley plays like he did today? How about for the last 2 years? Akok isn’t taking his minutes IW is just too important to our overall D and Akok is lost on D for now. Hope the kid finds his way but in this tourney he unfortunately went a little backwards. He needs to find his role and get some confidence back, get a lot tougher.
I love Whaley. I've loved him when he was freshmen. I just meant it looks like there appears to be less and less minutes available, as long as foul trouble doesn't come into play. And Samson is going to get some minutes at some point.
It's a tough situation for Akok. He has to wait for his minutes in the games and then he has to perform in his few minutes.

Reaction Score
He only has a little more than 1 year worth of experience playing time wise. The issue is that you only have so much playing time available and he is already a junior. Complicated situation

Reaction Score
My thoughts on Akok?

Great kid. Tremendous off ball defender who showed glimpse of other high level skills.

But honestly, he had a few week stretch in high school that rocketed him up rankings into the low 30s. Other than that 2-3 week stretch and brief glimpses his freshmen year I think the fan base overrates him considerably.
Really his first time against better competition since the injury ,was probably a little overpowering.
He has a long mental healing process.
Baby steps will get you to the same destination it just takes longer. The key is to keep taking them.
If Sainthood requires patience not many canonizations are coming from the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Akok and everyone on the bench has to prepare themselves to play exceptional D or they simply won’t play meaningful minutes. That means they can’t coast a second or afford a mental lapse or their 15 minutes will rapidly turn to 10 or less.

Reaction Score

He's only played 22% of his minutes at the 5 this year, the majority of his minutes have been with either Whaley or Sanogo on the floor too

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom