See Saniya Pass | The Boneyard

See Saniya Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
See Saniya Pass. Pass, pass, pass. Pass to her left and then pass to her right. Saniya played 22 minutes against Tulane and took only 4 shots. To be honest, when Saniya has the ball I wonder who she is going to pass to. Please Saniya, drive into the paint and / or get into position and create your own shot. Surprise us and go onto the attack. We will love you for it.

Reaction Score
See Saniya Pass. Pass, pass, pass. Pass to her left and then pass to her right. Saniya played 22 minutes against Tulane and took only 4 shots. To be honest, when Saniya has the ball I wonder who she is going to pass to. Please Saniya, drive into the paint and / or get into position and create your own shot. Surprise us and go onto the attack. We will love you for it.

Well, in her last game she took 4 shots and made 4 shots. Two of the shots were 3's. I guess she doesn't always pass, pass, pass.

Reaction Score
Saniya's playing fine. The second team still does a little too much passing around the perimeter with no real intent, but they're getting better. Glad to see Ek hoisting 'em up yesterday even after she kept missing. Hopefully her shot comes back to her soon.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Saniya's playing fine. The second team still does a little too much passing around the perimeter with no real intent, but they're getting better. Glad to see Ek hoisting 'em up yesterday even after she kept missing. Hopefully her shot comes back to her soon.
I warned myself not to create this thread knowing that it would only result in derision. But Saniya needs to take some pressure off her teammates by being more offensive minded. I remember the one play when she saw an open lane and took the ball straight to the basket.
It actually startled me. We know she's good.

When Courtney is open she seems to have the green light and is not afraid to shoot the 3. If she went 0-9 from the 3pt. line against a team like Tulsa I would not mind one bit. Seriously. How else do you build your confidence?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I warned myself not to create this thread knowing that it would only result in derision. But Saniya needs to take some pressure off her teammates by being more offensive minded. I remember the one play when she saw an open lane and took the ball straight to the basket.

When Courtney is open she seems to have the green light and is not afraid to shoot the 3. If she went 0-9 from the 3pt. line against a team like Tulsa I would not mind one bit. Seriously. How else do you build your confidence?
I bet going 0-9 against a team like Tulane isn't going to do wonders for your confidence.

Saniya's role might change depending on who she's in the game with. When she's in with Moriah, Geno might want her to look to score more. When she's in with the second unit, he might want her to facilitate the offense and find the open shooter. We really don't know. She is getting lots of minutes, so presumably he's happy with what she's doing? This team has plenty of scorers, Saniya is never going to be the first, second or even third option when she's out there with Moriah, Breanna and Morgan.

Reaction Score
Chong has been playing very well lately, and one of the things I like about her game of late is that she simply does not take bad shots. She is quite willing to let the game come to her.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Think it's likely that it should be the UConn coaching staff that lets Saniya know what her roles should be with differing units, starters and reserves rather than we BYers. Since she is basically the PG for the reserves, I'm guessing her assigned role is to be the floor commander who organizes the action and feeds Gabby and the rest for shots while occasionally sinking her own at that phenomenal rate of the last dozen games. But that doesn't mean she should become trigger happy, because even if she could sink a lot more, like Stewie she has a team function that comes before just shooting the ball.

Her role among the starters is different, and part of it is too just be dangerous enough so that she draws a defender to the outside and loosens up the paint. As previously noted, she does not get fed the ball much for good shots when she's in with the starters. That may change a bit, but I don't see her getting much more than the 4 shots she took against Tulane in the later Tournament action this year.

And the second Rebkell poster is just clueless and clearly hasn't watched any UConn games since November.

Reaction Score

No, no, no - keep posting despite the possibility of criticism. It's the Husky way. How else do you build your confidence?

Reaction Score

IMO it's not as simple as you make it sound. I'm assuming many of us that have played basketball in any manner that weren't among the tallest players ran into an eventual problem with either quickness from their opponents or size. You can always have said "All I need to do is to get into the lane then I can make a play . . ." The problem is when you get into the lane with all the big bodies and arms flying about "the play you wanted to make" ended up being a "missed shot, turnover or an exercise that produced nothing except wasted effort of your own by dribbling the ball and going nowhere."

IMO Saniya has this issue in that it's "not her fault" because she is so small - but it takes time to learn how to execute being in the lane with big bodies around her and someone quick defending her. If she just forces a drive it's dumb basketball play. More often than not making a dumb basketball play doesn't make you better. Look at a player similar to her in size- MoJefferson who was a more ballyhooed recruit. She has improved greatly in the art of "change of pace dribbling" in order to get in the lane and make a play. But how long did it take MoJeff? It didn't miraculously happen over night. There were baby steps. Last year she didn't do much "change of pace." I think Saniya lately has shown positive baby steps. A mindless drive in the lane in the lane is more than likely not not a baby step.

For me- I want to see her take a few more baby steps of beating her defender off the dribble using "change of pace." I also want to see her hit a floater in the lane. But I want to see them when she makes the right decision to make the move and take the shot. For example, if you are taking bad shots in order to get the 2 more baskets or making bad decisions to get the 2 more assists while getting quite a few more turnovers then "THAT isn't better." Show me she can "win the play" once or twice with penetration before I want to see her look to explode by taking over more of the offense.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, no one has the blow-by ability that MoJeff has now, and just that bit of extra speed allows her to make uncontested layups that would be sitting ducks for other players. It has happened with some frequency for Kia that she goes in for those lay-ups and gets stuffed, though she draws enough fouls to make them an okay option, and they also get swatted out of bounds so there's no harm there either. But forays into the paint have their risks unless you have drawn the defenders out or can get them confused because of your strong ability to sink a pull up jumper.

Reaction Score

I agree, I wish she'd drive more not necessarily to score but to distributed the ball down low. While a better all around player then she was in high school, she as lost confidence dating back to the benching. It will take time but she is definitely turning it around.

Reaction Score
I think that her progress on defense is the key to confidence. These are very competitive players. I don't think being replaced as a starter hurt her confidence on the offensive end. It was a deserved move based on defensive performance at the time. Correcting the issue is a mature thing to do. Looks like all systems go.

Reaction Score
I agree, I wish she'd drive more not necessarily to score but to distributed the ball down low. While a better all around player then she was in high school, she as lost confidence dating back to the benching. It will take time but she is definitely turning it around.

If she isn't beating her man off the dribble then how is she going to distribute the ball to an open man? On defense why would you help off of her and not play her for the pass if she isn't beating the defender of the dribble? It's easy "Just drive the ball" but at least for me - if you've played nearly two years and haven't shown it - then it's not so easy to do. And imo "Driving for the sake of driving in hopes you can make a play" is usually a "losing play."

Well -- unless of course you are Notre Dame - and if you get brushed on oyur fingernail when you drive and collapse on the floor like jackhammer crashed into your chest- then I suppose it can be winning play through deceit. --- Just kidding with this last comment - havin fun with ya.

Your team taking control of Duke now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog