Sedona Prince | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince

Reaction Score
When this first happened, much was made about Texas not paying for her medical care but since she got hurt in Mexico while playing for USA basketball, I just thought it should be under USAB's medical plan. I don't know, some of this lawsuit stuff seems excessive, NCAA has passed name, image and likeness which is coming soon.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Big yikes for Texas....honestly I'm surprised a lot of the poor medical treatment of athletes at universities isn't more spoken about, like football players being injected with toradol for years. This case sounds miserable for Prince.

IMO USA basketball should be on the hook for her medical bills. She suits up and represents the country, gets injured playing for USA...why is she responsible for the medical costs?

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
The article does say that USAB chipped in for a big chunk of her medical expenses from an emergency fund.

Reaction Score
The article does say that USAB chipped in for a big chunk of her medical expenses from an emergency fund.
I realize USA basketball doesn't have the revenue that a university like Texas has but to think they had to use an emergency fund is baffling to me given she should have been insured by the organization while she was representing them.

It sounds though Texas' basketball and medical staff made some clear mistakes while caring for her. It's tough not to have sympathy for someone who falls into this situation. I keep wondering why she was so desperate for a waiver since it sounds as though she still had some healing and recovery both physically and emotionally.

I've been on the dark side of medical bills before for some rather unusual health problems that insurers seem unconcerned about paying. I was fortunate to have some money saved but also short term disability coverage and understanding medical care providers. The young lady was caught in a bad situation all around. I hope she is able to stay healthy and play to her potential. Graves seems to have taken some unhappy players from other programs and bring their joy back to the game. It makes me wonder what he is doing but it's also no surprise so many players have Oregon on their list.

Reaction Score
Wow. Sedona, one of the few stories that actually makes it to print, is so telling on so many levels. Here was a young talented player being recruit at a young age. Huge status. Plays for a major university. Gets hurt while playing for USA basketball. The adults. The grown ups. Folks with the moral compass. Folks who recruited her. Gave the fancy talks about "being there for her." The promise to "take care of her and look out for health and safety." Failed her for a long period of time. Just think about the young men and women who play at smaller schools and what they face. Props to the University of Oregon and their WBB coaching staff.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hard not to think that TX failed her big time.
From the Article Most people would be surprised to know that:"NCAA rules require that each school makes sure their athletes all have personal medical insurance before allowing them to participate. The athlete's insurance provider -- not the school -- is the first responsibility party for paying medical costs."

Texas definitely failed her by refusing to cover her full medical expenses.

Reaction Score
From the Article Most people would be surprised to know that:"NCAA rules require that each school makes sure their athletes all have personal medical insurance before allowing them to participate. The athlete's insurance provider -- not the school -- is the first responsibility party for paying medical costs."

Texas definitely failed her by refusing to cover her full medical expenses.

I was referring more generally to the care she received. Or didn’t receive.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was referring more generally to the care she received. Or didn’t receive.
It is my understand that Texas refused to pay her medical bills partially because she consulted with a doctor in NYC as opposed to the Dr. that the university was recommending.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
There's a lot more detail in this story than there was in the initial article a year or so ago; and, even though there are two sides to every store, we only get to hear Sedona's side.

Most of us wondered why she didn't sue Texas if she believed they were truly at fault; this new article indicates the attorneys her family consulted advised them it was not a winnable case. And, while Wagner is able to release a lot of "medical" details (via permission from the Prince family), Texas can't release anything due to HIPAA. And, that article indicates the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation had insufficient evidence to sanction anyone.

Not that it matters, but wondering why all that detail wasn't provided in the initial article/story released a while back. I vaguely recall the previous article indicating Texas was not permitted to pay for some of her medical costs; forget if it was based on injury occurring while playing for USA basketball, or that the family sought medical treatment outside of the university (in NY). As a result of her second surgery in NY (which did not appear to be authorized by Texas, or not even aware of by Texas) was followed by her NY doctor over-prescribing antibiotics; so, that's what led to a lot of her organ complications (according to that article)

The NCAA denied her waiver request, as well as the subsequent appeal submitted. Two different sides of the story as to whether Texas objected to her gaining immediate eligibility at Oregon. Whether injury-related or family-related, we've seen the NCAA make some very inconsistent decisions when it comes to granting transfers immediate eligibility.

Reaction Score
There's a lot more detail in this story than there was in the initial article a year or so ago; and, even though there are two sides to every store, we only get to hear Sedona's side.

Most of us wondered why she didn't sue Texas if she believed they were truly at fault; this new article indicates the attorneys her family consulted advised them it was not a winnable case. And, while Wagner is able to release a lot of "medical" details (via permission from the Prince family), Texas can't release anything due to HIPAA. And, that article indicates the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation had insufficient evidence to sanction anyone.

Not that it matters, but wondering why all that detail wasn't provided in the initial article/story released a while back. I vaguely recall the previous article indicating Texas was not permitted to pay for some of her medical costs; forget if it was based on injury occurring while playing for USA basketball, or that the family sought medical treatment outside of the university (in NY). As a result of her second surgery in NY (which did not appear to be authorized by Texas, or not even aware of by Texas) was followed by her NY doctor over-prescribing antibiotics; so, that's what led to a lot of her organ complications (according to that article)

The NCAA denied her waiver request, as well as the subsequent appeal submitted. Two different sides of the story as to whether Texas objected to her gaining immediate eligibility at Oregon. Whether injury-related or family-related, we've seen the NCAA make some very inconsistent decisions when it comes to granting transfers immediate eligibility.
There were many bad decisions made here. First and foremost was Texas’s physical therapy team trying to rush her back too fast. That led to all the down stream problems. And then they just washed their hands of it, almost certainly at the direction of the University’s lawyers. Sadly, this happens all to often in college athletics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom