Second Unit Talk | The Boneyard

Second Unit Talk

Reaction Score
Not a lot to say. Other than Diarra they're unknown. Season will be made or broken in the second unit IMO.
We’ll be a little different this year, but I expected very good things. I’ll be disappointed if we don’t repeat.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Samson spelling Big Don like Don did for Adama. Diarra first guard off the bench. After that, I would bet that Ball is the second guard off the bench. We are going to be a nightmare again with our depth. Just coming at teams with waves…no relenting.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking the 3 main bench players by mid Big East season will be Solo, Stewart and Samson. Others like Ross, Diarra and Singare will contribute to various degrees depending on certain circumstances, but my prediction is when the bench shortens, it will be Solo, Stewart, Samson as the main guys. Might look like an awful take by March but I'm shooting my shot.

Reaction Score
My favorite public Hurley quote on Jaylin was about how they are really going to need him this season; he then added that it was unfortunate that he was hurt and missing time and also that Seattle schools did them no favors by ending so late. And, then he had to clarify that he actually wasn’t mad at teachers because he knows some people just do not know how to act right.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The second unit needs SJ to have a big year. Because other than Diarra the rest of the bench are freshman. I have seen some media that seems to think Ball may need a year to be an impact but that read does no track for me. He got better actually way better from the beginning to the end of last season. And he did that while he was growing. Perhaps that is a concern. But when I look at the highlights he looks physically ready. He may even keep growing and be 6’3” …. I think he has like a 6’7”-6’8” wingspan so he is going to play bigger than his height. I would say at this point what I see as a concern is overall team ball handling. I think Spencer’s handle is as good as Hawkins but we were at our best when Andre started the offense. Diarra is going to get play because he has a decent handle and he can defend.

Reaction Score
I'm really curious what the rotation looks like last year the 2nd unit averaged 58 cumulative minutes per game with a 9 player rotation. If we assume a similar split my prediction would be as follows.

S Johnson 14

S Ball 20

H Diarra 10

J Ross 7

J Stewart 7

I would think at some point one of Ross and Stewart would get an edge and consolidate much of the others minutes but I'd be surprised if the season started that way.

Reaction Score
My favorite public Hurley quote on Jaylin was about how they are really going to need him this season; he then added that it was unfortunate that he was hurt and missing time and also that Seattle schools did them no favors by ending so late. And, then he had to clarify that he actually wasn’t mad at teachers because he knows some people just do not know how to act right.
Not sure how to take this - can you clarify pls?

Reaction Score
I was thinking that Alex will play a lot of minutes again this year as last and as such will be on the second unit quite a bit. So it might be 5 or 4 fresh players in for a couple minutes and then a starter or 2 back in. I see Alex and Spencer as steadying influences either who would need to be out there with the freshman.

Reaction Score
A lot of talent, very little experience. Could be a strength by the end of the season
Sums it up perfectly.

My guesses, in order of minutes-per-game:

The easier to guess:
  • Ball: Will mostly soak up Alleyne's minutes (18 mpg) and possibly play more. I picture Ball as the backup 2 for Spencer and will play quite a bit alongside Spencer whenever Spencer plays the 3 when Castle is on the bench.
  • Diarra: Similar role to last season (13 mpg). Almost all minutes will be backing up Newton. Maybe we see Diarra and Newton share the floor, but I think it's doubtful.
  • Johnson: Similar role to Clingan last season (13 mpg). I'd expect Clingan to get close to Sanogo's 27 mpg last season, with Johnson playing all other minutes at the 5. I'm trying to imagine a "two big" lineup with Johnson at the 4, but I don't think it's happening.
  • Singare: The Richie Springs Role. Maybe some garbage time, but this will be a bench riding, development season for Singare. I think he only plays meaningful minutes if there's an injury

The Much Harder to Guess
  • Stewart: I love his versatility long-term. Mature offensive weapon a la Karaban, but I think he will need time to grow defensively. My best guess is that he soaks up Karaban's backup 4 minutes, but it'll be curious to see how Stewart can defend Big East PFs, even though that position is weaker w/ Prosper, Kaluma, Whitmore, Jones out, but Hopkins/Freemantle still loom.
  • Ross: I love his upside as a deadly floor spacer with underrated athleticism, however, I see Castle and Spencer playing almost every minute at the 3. Doubt we'll see Ross much in Big East play.
  • Roumoglou: Is he just a great practice piece or does he have potential in the rotation? He's grown to 6'8 215, shot 38% from three in the FIBA U19 back in the Summer of 2022.
When all is said and done, the rotation won't be more than 9, meaning my guess of pieces six-through-nine are Ball, Johnson, Diarra, Stewart, respectively.

Reaction Score
A lot of talent, very little experience. Could be a strength by the end of the season
Hopefully it will be similar to 95-96 season when Rash and Ricky as Frosh would spell the guards and still play relentless D.

Reaction Score
The bench is tough because it’s mostly potential and not much proven production

I’d assume Diarra will be the default 1st G off the bench because he’s the upperclassman and the most mature (and maybe one of the most mature on the entire roster). Samson will be the 1st big based on all we’ve heard so far and the potential that’s been brewing for 2 years

I would assume Ball will be the next up, but I could really see a lot of different lineups based on what the game needs. Ross comes in for shooting. Stewart comes in to slow the game down and score. Singare comes in if the bigs are in foul trouble

I’d predict the final (shortened) bench rotation will be Samson, Ball, and one of Stewart/Ross

Reaction Score
Sums it up perfectly.

The easier to guess:
  • Ball: Will mostly soak up Alleyne's minutes (18 mpg) and possibly play more. I picture Ball as the backup 2 for Spencer and will play quite a bit alongside Spencer whenever Spencer plays the 3 when Castle is on the bench.
  • Diarra: Similar role to last season (13 mpg). Almost all minutes will be backing up Newton. Maybe we see Diarra and Newton share the floor, but I think it's doubtful.
  • Johnson: Similar role to Clingan last season (13 mpg). I'd expect Clingan to get close to Sanogo's 27 mpg last season, with Johnson playing all other minutes at the 5. I'm trying to imagine a "two big" lineup with Johnson at the 4, but I don't think it's happening.
  • Singare: The Richie Springs Role. Maybe some garbage time, but this will be a bench riding, development season for Singare. I think he only plays meaningful minutes if there's an injury

The Much Harder to Guess
  • Stewart: I love his versatility long-term. Mature offensive weapon a la Karaban, but I think he will need time to grow defensively. My best guess is that he soaks up Karaban's backup 4 minutes, but it'll be curious to see how Stewart can defend Big East PFs, even though that position is weaker w/ Prosper, Kaluma, Whitmore, Jones out, but Hopkins/Freemantle still loom.
  • Ross: I love his upside as a deadly floor spacer with underrated athleticism, however, I see Castle and Spencer playing almost every minute at the 3. Doubt we'll see Ross much in Big East play.
  • Roumoglou: Is he just a great practice piece or does he have potential in the rotation? He's grown to 6'8 215, shot 38% from three in the FIBA U19 back in the Summer of 2022.
When all is said and done, the rotation won't be more than 9, meaning my guess of pieces six-through-nine are Ball, Johnson, Diarra, Stewart, respectively.
I agree with most of your analysis. However, Hurley seemed to indicate on Saturday that Johnson will in fact play the 4 a bit, presumably alongside Clingan.

"As he's rolling and dunking and finishing at the rim and shooting the 3 now, playing that four-spot, I think, is a better fit," coach Dan Hurley noted. "He (also) gives us that 1-2 punch at center, potentially, that was devastating for people last year."

"He can give me and Alex a little rest," Clingan added, "come in and produce, score the ball. He's showing he can shoot the ball more and more. He's got crazy bounce, he protects the rim. I'm happy for him."

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Surprisingly didn’t hear a lot about Diarra from yesterdays scrimmage.

I think by the thick of Big East it’ll be:

Castle Newton Spencer Karaban Clingan
Ball Stewart Samson

Ross if it goes nine. Early reports indicate Stewart has more talent but also hearing from practice yesterday that Ross brings Jackson like heart and hustle on the defensive end. May be his way to buying early playing time.

I’d also be shocked if we weren’t trying to groom Ball to play PG. That’s what he’ll need to be to succeed at the next level and that’s what he played in HS.

Going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. A lot of talent and skill to choose from and work with!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hopefully it will be similar to 95-96 season when Rash and Ricky as Frosh would spell the guards and still play relentless D.
That would be wonderful. A whole tidal wave of relentless guards pressuring and running down opponents and leading fast breaks. Running up quick leads at breathtaking speeds. Making opponents feel helpless at stopping them.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Surprisingly didn’t hear a lot about Diarra from yesterdays scrimmage.

I think by the thick of Big East it’ll be:

Castle Newton Spencer Karaban Clingan
Ball Stewart Samson

Ross if it goes nine. Early reports indicate Stewart has more talent but also hearing from practice yesterday that Ross brings Jackson like heart and hustle on the defensive end. May be his way to buying early playing time.

I’d also be shocked if we weren’t trying to groom Ball to play PG. That’s what he’ll need to be to succeed at the next level and that’s what he played in HS.

Going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. A lot of talent and skill to choose from and work with!
Diarra is what he is. Bulldog defensively, can handle the ball, but during the practice he was forcing bad shots all over the place. My guess is he reprises his role from last season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sums it up perfectly.

The easier to guess:

The Much Harder to Guess

This seems like a good discussion point.

Johnson has by far the most straight forward path towards minutes as the front runner for first big off the bench and appears to be able to play minutes at the 4 and the 5. He should be getting 20 minutes every game and he will have games where he's playing 30 minutes.

Diarra should be one of the first two guards off the bench and 10-12 mpg is there for him. He's a bulldog on defense and can wreck opponent's offensive flow. He's also a high energy guy for UConn who can jump start a sluggish team. His outside shooting, decision making while penetrating, and FT shooting will determine if he's a 6-8 mpg player or a 12-15 mpg player.

Ball appears physically ready and if he can shoot, he's getting 10-12 mpg.

Seems like Stewart, Ross and Roumoglou are in a 3 for 1 situation between the 3 and 4 spot. There's just not a lot of minutes available if Karaban and Castle are playing well. Ideally one of those three definitively separates and solidifies the bench rotation.

What do we all know? Based on injuries, increase level of competition and ability to fit in with the starters, rotations always work themselves out. I expect 9-10 players playing in Nov-Jan. By mid-Feb it will be 8 players in the rotation with 9 and 10 being spot minutes only.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This will be the case of every top team going forward. No one is bringing back 4-5 bench players. They either graduate or move on to another school for a chance at more minutes.

Every coach is now builidng a bench and a rotation from scratch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom