SEC WBB 2022-23 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SEC WBB 2022-23

Reaction Score
This was part of her return reason. She and coach discussed the fact that she had proven everything she needed to as far as scoring for the WNBA, but she'll be a PG at the next level.

She needs it and State needs it. The scoring is available when needed I'm sure, but there are other scorers on the roster this year.

We'll see how it plays out, but they looked very good last night. Grad Xfer Asianae Johnson from St. Bonaventure was the surprise of the night for me. This team is loaded with experienced guards.

So good to see Jessika Carter back in her element and putting up a double double. And Denae Carter looks healed up as well.
Debra Powe was the surprise to me. She did not play like a freshman. Really, the entire team was a pleasant surprise, better shooting, very quick, and most important team chemistry was evident. I am hoping for a great season!

Reaction Score
Annie Hays as the PG surprises me. I believe she will eventually go back to a 2 and be a greater offensive threat. Not sure we have a true PG, really miss Myah, but hope Purcell can find another answer rather than Annie, she is just to valuable as a scorer to burden with PG duties. Any thought on what player could fill the PG role?
There were several times last season where she brought the ball up and initiated the offense. M Taylor was shifted to the wing. That was some of M Taylor’s concern after the season. Part of what the coaches this season are doing with her early is getting her in more of a point mindset and get everyone involved. She only took four shots but had several opportunities where she could have taken a shot but passed instead. This style offense has more of a scoring point. Annie Hayes is actually perfect for it.

Reaction Score
I am cautiously optimistic about the team this year. We have some decent pieces and I hope the revolving door of coaching is finished for a bit. I expect the team to take some lumps here and there but overall I think we are trending in a good direction. Purcell is saying all the right things but so did NMP so we will see.

Reaction Score
There were several times last season where she brought the ball up and initiated the offense. M Taylor was shifted to the wing. That was some of M Taylor’s concern after the season. Part of what the coaches this season are doing with her early is getting her in more of a point mindset and get everyone involved. She only took four shots but had several opportunities where she could have taken a shot but passed instead. This style offense has more of a scoring point. Annie Hayes is actually perfect for it.
I agree Annie is very talented and may be our best choice for the PG position, certainly her bounce pass while on the floor scrambling for the ball was the play of the night! Another thing I saw last night was Annie had a smile on her face for most of the game, last season she was so focused on scoring she always appeared to be stressed. I like Annie passion for the game and hope she continues to enjoy the simple joy from playing th game.

Reaction Score
I am cautiously optimistic about the team this year. We have some decent pieces and I hope the revolving door of coaching is finished for a bit. I expect the team to take some lumps here and there but overall I think we are trending in a good direction. Purcell is saying all the right things but so did NMP so we will see.
In fairness to her, medical issues came into play and she resigned her position. There's no way to tell/determine if she failed to deliver as her time there was brief.

Reaction Score
In fairness to her, medical issues came into play and she resigned her position. There's no way to tell/determine if she failed to deliver as her time there was brief.
I have no doubt her medical issues were a factor but I won't sugarcoat was a disaster the whole team was that season and frankly I don't think it would have improved.

I don't harbor ill will towards her and hope she's healthy but I highly doubt she would have ever been successful there.

Reaction Score
MSSPORTGUY, do you have any info on Miriam Prince? I just watched some video on her and she appear to be the real deal to me. Very quick, great shooter, true PG. She is a Mississippi HS player from a small school. I think she is a 2023 grad.

Reaction Score
MSSPORTGUY, do you have any info on Miriam Prince? I just watched some video on her and she appear to be the real deal to me. Very quick, great shooter, true PG. She is a Mississippi HS player from a small school. I think she is a 2023 grad.
Sorry just now got back to my computer (where it's easier to respond lol).

I am not familiar with her and don't really keep up with recruiting that closely overall. I did a quick search and she sounds like a good player but probably not SEC level or she would have more notice by now.

I'm old enough to remember when small town Mississippi girls who were good players would routinely get offers to SEC programs but the game is much, much different now. The players are taller, stronger, more versatile, and typically come from much larger areas with well financed AAU programs and high school amenities.

I suspect she will wind up D2 or JUCO but that's nothing to sneeze at.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom