SEC Flexing | The Boneyard

SEC Flexing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Call Their Bluff And Tell Them They Are Immediately Banned From Participating In All NCAA Tournament Championship Sports.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Expanded article about the same thing: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ve-sec-wants-division-iv-if-ncaa-reform-fails

My favorite line:
“Even in Division 4, though, we would want to be part of the basketball tournament and all of the championships,” Slive said. “We don't want to disrupt the championships, even if we went to Division 4. But it would be an alternate to creating autonomy in certain areas. We think the NCAA and college athletics are better served if we all stay together in Division I.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So they pretty much have taken leaving off of the table. If the new division 4 has the same membership rules as the rest of the NCAA then UConn, and the rest of the so called G5 schools would be free to join. I view that as an improvement over the 'autonomy' rules.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah If The P5 Break Off Completely UCONN, Byu Cincinnati And A Several Others Will Go With Them.

At Some Point A President Of One Of The Smaller D1Schools Has To Come Out And Call These Blowhards Out. You Have All The Revenue And You Want To Keep It.Go Ahead, And Deal With The Lawsuits From The Athletes That See THAT YOU Are The Ones Controlling All That Revenue. If This Was Truly About Athlete Welfare They Would Divide That Money More Equally So That More Schools Could Offer Athletes Full Cost Of Attendance. That Would Benefit Student athletes A LOT MORE Than What They Are proposing. The Remaining NCAA Schools Could Go About Their Business Plans Without The Threats And The Gree Of Slive And Delany. Think How Much More Cost Of Attendance Stipends Could Be Given Out If All That Money Wasn't Going In Their Pockets.

Reaction Score
noeynox said:
Yeah If The P5 Break Off Completely UCONN, Byu Cincinnati And A Several Others Will Go With Them.

At Some Point A President Of One Of The Smaller D1Schools Has To Come Out And Call These Blowhards Out. You Have All The Revenue And You Want To Keep It.Go Ahead, And Deal With The Lawsuits From The Athletes That See THAT YOU Are The Ones Controlling All That Revenue. If This Was Truly About Athlete Welfare They Would Divide That Money More Equally So That More Schools Could Offer Athletes Full Cost Of Attendance. That Would Benefit Student athletes A LOT MORE Than What They Are proposing. The Remaining NCAA Schools Could Go About Their Business Plans Without The Threats And The Gree Of Slive And Delany. Think How Much More Cost Of Attendance Stipends Could Be Given Out If All That Money Wasn't Going In Their Pockets.

It amazes me that you were able to type your user name in all lower case letters but cant figure out how to not capitalize each word in your posts.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, it would not surprise me that we look back at the demise of college athletics and point to the SEC as the primary culprit.

It might very well be 20 programs, primarily in the southeast, that compete at a high level and feed the NFL and NBA with most of the country saying......who gives a , I'll simply watch the real thing. Developmental leagues don't sound like compelling entertainment to me.

Reaction Score
Talk about showing your hand. I would love to play poker with him.
The SEC should breakaway and join the NFL ,Vandy and UConn to the B1G.
Sarcasm alert.
This guy just gave away how weak their independent move is.
Once you remove your biggest chip in negotions you pretty much lost.
I'm not sure Emmert is bright enough to grasp that he is holding 4 aces.
I'm not opposed to another Division but only if the opportunity for anyone who wants in ,and realistically can perform at that level ,is given that opportunity.
Also the assurance that the game can continue to be played by non participants in the club.
How many kids have been given the opportunity to better themselves by going to the Hundreds of small schools that comprise college football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is an excellent point. Unfortunately, about the last thing under consideration in any of this is the student athlete.

This continues to be my point. I keep waiting for a president, or AD of a smaller school to step up, call the P5 out on their bullspit, and proclaim "if this was really about student athlete welfare, we'd be dividing that revenue up more evenly so that more schools could afford to pay full cost of attendance stipends, and thus MORE student athletes benefit". Leave the TV contracts alone. Let the conferences keep that, but the money from the CFB playoff should be no different than the NCAA tournament. Same with the bowl money. It is greed pure and simple, designed to create competitive advantages not about student athlete welfare to say the least.

Reaction Score
Folks, they have been planning a new subdivision for a few years. I was told three years ago by someone at the President's conference that this was being talked about extensively. It's been circulated as a topic in the NCAA journal and discussed a lot on the AD level.

The SEC is basically using the "Division IV" terminology as a scare tactic as it sounds more imposing. It's really just a subdivision within D-I they're targeting because they can branch off for only one sport but still control most of the money and have authority to impose the financial/sport restrictions that weed off the dead weight of FBS.

Slive is essentially just starting up the PR phase of the plan to implement.

LADan

Have seen UConn beat Zags twice to get to Final 4
Reaction Score
You gotta call the bluff. Too easy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Vote for him as long as he invites us to his league. This is the answer to every such proposal from a P5 commissioner.

Reaction Score
Call Their Bluff And Tell Them They Are Immediately Banned From Participating In All NCAA Tournament Championship Sports.
I've said this for a while. Good luck to BC and the Big 10 trying to stage a hockey tournament. Or the 4 ACC Lacrosse "powers" (if you can be a power in a sport that has 65 teams and less than half actually take it seriously--sorry lax guys but when Fairfield is ranked #18 you have to question it) or even the D4 basketball championship...how do you make that work? Basically, while these guys really only care about football, they do have other sports, and they have title 9 to worry about on top of that. If they are only allowed to compete with other D4 schools, it is suddenly a less attractive option. The other D1 members though are split as well I think. there are the UConns and others like us who want to be in the big boys club so won't want to make them mad, even though going along will be bad for the UConn-types, and there are the non-football types who just want this to be over and would be perfectly happy to be done with the big boys. Those 2 groups worry me.

Reaction Score
I've said this for a while. Good luck to BC and the Big 10 trying to stage a hockey tournament. Or the 4 ACC Lacrosse "powers" (if you can be a power in a sport that has 65 teams and less than half actually take it seriously--sorry lax guys but when Fairfield is ranked #18 you have to question it) or even the D4 basketball championship...how do you make that work? Basically, while these guys really only care about football, they do have other sports, and they have title 9 to worry about on top of that. If they are only allowed to compete with other D4 schools, it is suddenly a less attractive option. The other D1 members though are split as well I think. there are the UConns and others like us who want to be in the big boys club so won't want to make them mad, even though going along will be bad for the UConn-types, and there are the non-football types who just want this to be over and would be perfectly happy to be done with the big boys. Those 2 groups worry me.

I think a basketball tourney could work for 32 teams. If you look at the NCAA field from last year, you basically already have your 32 teams.

But you're right about hockey and lacrosse. Then again, hockey will be about as relevant as fencing to these people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom