SEC Bias | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SEC Bias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You do realize that every game isn't won by the better team right?

Listen go on in your belief that Rutgers is better than South Carolina and the world is biased. Just try to realize that your opinion is biased and the unbiased disagree with you.
I didn't realize you were so unbiased. Sorry for challenging such a disinterested person.

In a 12 game season, if the result on the field doesn't matter, what does? There seems no way to tell who the best team is.

Also, that's a pretty weak response on your part. So Boise won a game on a Statue of Liberty play. The prognosis was that Oklahoma was going to kill them. Even if it is true that Oklahoma was better, people were wrong that Boise wasn't on the same playing field. Look at the others:
  • Utah whipped Alabama 31-17. Seems Utah was better.
  • Florida whipped Ohio State 41-14. If you didn't think Florida was better, not sure what to tell you. That was the year people thought the B10 deserved two teams in the title game.
  • Texas proved itself at least as good as USC (better, in my books, for winning). These experts you were touting thought they were way better.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Miss St probably is over ranked...I just realized this week how high they were ranked..but...that will be corrected soon.

South Carolina is fairly ranked. That is a very good team...beating UGA is impressive. That was a banged up team in the swamp.

Lastly...why wouldn't there be SEC bias? They have won the last 6 BCS championships! It seems like it is fair for people to think that maybe the SEC is a pretty good conference and the teams deserve the benefit of the doubt even though they haven't played a tough schedule. They have earned that respect.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
None of the computer services have meaningful adjustments for Home/Away. In their non-conference, the SEC will play 10 road games and 3 neutral field games out of conference. The other 43 OOC games will be played at home. By contrast, the Big East will play 17 road games out of 40 non-conference games. And the computer services do not meaningfully adjust for home/away. In conference play, home teams win about 60% of the team, yet no adjustment is made for schools that schedule only home cupcakes.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Miss St probably is over ranked...I just realized this week how high they were ranked..but...that will be corrected soon.

First line tonight was Alabama -24. Hilarious...and accurate.

Reaction Score
I just looked at their profile and cannot for the life of me figure out what they've accomplished this season that's of any significance. Wahoo..Jackson State?

Reaction Score
Why should a 2 loss South Carolina team (one that just got killed, by the way), be ranked ahead of an undefeated team like Rutgers? South Carolina and one impressive win (Georgia)?

There is so much SEC hype that they usually schedule terrible OOC schedule, beat up on the bottom teams (Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Miss St [usually], Tennessee, Auburn, Missouri [this year]), and then when one of them comes out by beating one or two necessary good teams they need to play, they're suddenly in the BCS title game.

Our team is terrible. I really could not care less at the moment.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Rutgers v. South Carolina, nuetral field, next week. Score?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
if you think rutgers is better than south carolina you're delusional

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I think the SEC is grossly overrated. No other league is as imbalanced home/away and plays such a large percentage of their games against terrible competition. South Carolina has beaten no one. Mississippi State plays a non-conference road game and barely escapes Troy with a win. These are mediocre teams that get inflated rankings because they have a lot of fans in the stands.

Reaction Score
There are too many quotes in this thread that I could reply to with the same statement so here goes...

People who complain about SEC bias in football are just like those who complain about BE bias in hoops. The talent is better, the competition is better, the fan bases are better, the atmosphere is better, the overall product is better. There is no comparing to BE Football and SEC Football, just like there is no comparing BE Hoops and SEC Hoops. We are so far inferior to the SEC in football it is beyond crazy to me that people are questioning it. Take off your blinders. Yeah, Rutgers and Louisville are undefeated, it doesn't mean they are on par with South Carolina, Miss St, Florida or Bama. That's like saying, "Your BMW gets you from point A to point B? So does my Kia, my Kia is just as good as your BMW!" Its delusional and so far out of touch with reality its boarderline insane

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are too many quotes in this thread that I could reply to with the same statement so here goes...

People who complain about SEC bias in football are just like those who complain about BE bias in hoops. The talent is better, the competition is better, the fan bases are better, the atmosphere is better, the overall product is better. There is no comparing to BE Football and SEC Football, just like there is no comparing BE Hoops and SEC Hoops. We are so far inferior to the SEC in football it is beyond crazy to me that people are questioning it. Take off your blinders. Yeah, Rutgers and Louisville are undefeated, it doesn't mean they are on par with South Carolina, Miss St, Florida or Bama. That's like saying, "Your BMW gets you from point A to point B? So does my Kia, my Kia is just as good as your BMW!" Its delusional and so far out of touch with reality its boarderline insane

There is no way to compare the two leagues because the SEC plays most of their OOC games against low majors at home. That is going to change with a playoff, and I think you will see a much more tightly bunched records and rankings.

The reason SEC hoops stink is because no one cares about it. And I mean NO ONE. Some of these schools draw 4k to conference games, and 1,500 of those are students with free tickets. UConn football getting 30k+ for a game against Buffalo in a lost season is very impressive by comparison.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I think the SEC is grossly overrated. No other league is as imbalanced home/away and plays such a large percentage of their games against terrible competition. South Carolina has beaten no one. Mississippi State plays a non-conference road game and barely escapes Troy with a win. These are mediocre teams that get inflated rankings because they have a lot of fans in the stands.
who has rutgers beaten? south carolina demolished georgia. rutgers best win is either temple or a severely depleted arkansas team.

Reaction Score
Guys,
Stop just stop. This is an article from 2010 but please read it before making another post on here.

Nelson, See below chart. The SEC has a 12-3 record in BCS bowls, the Big East is 6-4. That means we have 1 more loss than the SEC but 6 less wins. We're also just barely over .500 against BCS teams in Bowl games, but hey we're 12-1 against Non-BCS schools and 8-9 against teams that were ranked coming into Bowl Season! There is SEC bias for a reason, they play BIG BOY COLLEGE FOOTBALL, we are JV in comparison!

http://blog.philsteele.com/2010/07/10/conference-bowl-rankings-past-decade/

RankConfOverallvs BCSvs Non-BCSvs RankedBCS BowlsRec as Ranked
1 SEC 48-31 43-29 5-2 32-17 12-3 28-18
2 MWC 24-14 11-7 13-7 6-3 2-1 11-4
3 Pac-10 31-26 25-18 6-8 16-14 9-3 18-11
4 Big East 32-19 20-18 12-1 8-9 6-4 15-11

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Guys,
Stop just stop. This is an article from 2010 but please read it before making another post on here.

Nelson, See below chart. The SEC has a 12-3 record in BCS bowls, the Big East is 6-4. That means we have 1 more loss than the SEC but 6 less wins. We're also just barely over .500 against BCS teams in Bowl games, but hey we're 12-1 against Non-BCS schools and 8-9 against teams that were ranked coming into Bowl Season! There is SEC bias for a reason, they play BIG BOY COLLEGE FOOTBALL, we are JV in comparison!

http://blog.philsteele.com/2010/07/10/conference-bowl-rankings-past-decade/

RankConfOverallvs BCSvs Non-BCSvs RankedBCS BowlsRec as Ranked
1 SEC 48-31 43-29 5-2 32-17 12-3 28-18
2 MWC 24-14 11-7 13-7 6-3 2-1 11-4
3 Pac-10 31-26 25-18 6-8 16-14 9-3 18-11
4 Big East 32-19 20-18 12-1 8-9 6-4 15-11

So because Florida, Alabama and LSU play in the SEC, it is better than every other league combined. By that measure, the WAC played great football the last few years because it had Boise. And by your link, the Big 10 does not play Big Boy football since they are ranked below the Big East.

Reaction Score
If you think the Big 10 is overrated you have a point. The SEC though is not overrated. Just like the BE is not overrated when it comes to basketball

Reaction Score
This is the beauty of computers. They have no bias based on reputation. (They may have other biases, but none having do with name or conference.)

Looking at composite rankings from 100 formulas, So Car is #10, Rutgers #17.
http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm
My count might be slightly off but ~75 of the computers have SC higher, while ~25 have RU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The computers do not factor in home and away nearly to the extent they should. Home teams win about 60% of the time in conference games, so it is fair to assume that is the normal home field advantage. Conference schedules are a better measure than all games because the conference schedules have no inherent bias.

On the eyeball test, I think the SEC is the second best conference in college football after the Big 12, but I have no way to validate that because the SEC plays such a home heavy schedule against mostly weak opponents.

Reaction Score
The computers do not factor in home and away nearly to the extent they should.

There are 100 computer models. You've evaluated a large chunk of them to make such a conclusion?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Rutgers v. South Carolina, nuetral field, next week. Score?

Delusion is certainly not in short supply on the BY. A vocal minority here actually seems to have convinced themselves that the NBE on nbcsports is ultimately a better home for UConn athletics than the ACC. Some feel PP deserves another year or two to coach up his own recruits.

South Carolina 31, Rutgers 13.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Take a look at who they have beaten. South Carolina has one impressive win: Georgia. And then you look at Georgia's wins....

South Carolina has beaten:
Georgia has beaten:

How about their losses? You think Rutgers leads LSU late and loses a very close game to a team that has lost (I think) one home game in 15 years? Rutgers loses that game by 20-30.

Yes SC got blasted on the road by Florida, without a top DL and RB. Sadly, they also gave up early, making the score much worse than it really should have been.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Let me save you all some time...I once tried discussing this with Nelson a few years ago when he was arguing that the SEC was the fifth best conference. He will point out that Vandy lost to some Sun Belt team to prove his argument. He will ignore who wins championships and who puts the most players in the NFL.

Feel free to continue to argue....maybe its a nice distraction from HCPP talk....but you are wasting your time.

Reaction Score
Let me save you all some time...I once tried discussing this with Nelson a few years ago when he was arguing that the SEC was the fifth best conference. He will point out that Vandy lost to some Sun Belt team to prove his argument. He will ignore who wins championships and who puts the most players in the NFL.

Feel free to continue to argue....maybe its a nice distraction from HCPP talk....but you are wasting your time.
I say we keep it going to get as many crazy responses as possible. I haven't heard the "SEC is the fifth best conference" comment yet. That's a classic.

Reaction Score
Um, I have no idea why I am jumping in to this argument, but let me say this, I was at the SC-FL game this w/e. If you think RU can hang with either of those teams you are nuts. And if you think SC got blasted, you read the score and did not watch the game. FL did not amasss 200 total yards! What I saw out there was nothing like I have ever seen at the Rent. The talent on that field, the sheer speed of the game, etc. is simply at another level.

I think what RU and Ville are doing is good for the BE, but that's the stuff that gets folks to reconsider whether the BE is the 5th or 6th best conference. When any BE team can run the gauntlet that is the SEC West, they can talk. You want to argue that Oregon is getting shafted by the SEC bias, fine, we can chat about that. Otherwise, please stop this idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom