SEC 2020-2021 early look/predictions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SEC 2020-2021 early look/predictions

Reaction Score
Not sure if you saw that your thread made it over on the VolNation board, with the initial posting claiming a scribe overview before they correctly identified this as "post on another board". A bit of chuckle for you and others at their indignation of not listing all the players on the Tennessee roster they think will be big contributors next year!

I had a few people message me about the thread being copy and pasted. I saw the comments on VolNation roasting me because I didn't include Darby. This was just a general overview, every team has a lot more going on then the stuff I posted.

I didn't go into every team by detail. I expect Darby to play a role next season. I just didn't list every player. I didn't even list Madison Hayes for MSU who I expect to play significantly her freshmen year (if she sticks but it appears she will at this time).

Reaction Score
Averaging close to 10 points a game under 20 minutes is pretty good. MSU has historically played a lot of bodies. I haven't been impressed with how Suzy Merchant has managed her teams over the last few years. Cooks is talented and has plenty of upside.

I still think she is better than Bibby and that in itself will help MSU next year, she doesn't have to be a super star to help them. They have plenty of fire power in other areas to complement each other.
I also think she is an upgrade over C Bibby and is likely the main reason Bibby left. My biggest concern with S Cooks is whether she can handle the ball well enough to play the four.

Reaction Score
I also think she is an upgrade over C Bibby and is likely the main reason Bibby left. My biggest concern with S Cooks is whether she can handle the ball well enough to play the four.

According to Vic in a presser recently before he moved onto Texas, they have not been able to guard her in practice all year. She would have started over Bibby and that is one reason I think she left. She saw the writing on the wall.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Solid list and well thought out @SECbbfan24

In regards to SC...I think they definitely appear to be the clear cut front runner for the conference and likely a top candidate to win it all next year. That said, losing Harris and MHH opens some big question marks. SC last year was the epitome of the sum being greater than the individual parts, and that's largely due to the role these two played. Harris made everything flow effortlessly, and as someone else noted on here, MHH was a perfect compliment to Boston as a stretch 4 with ability to handle and drive to the bucket. Cooke's ability to improve efficiency as a sophomore will be a key, as will Henderson's ability to lead from the PG spot. I thought she made a nice jump as a sophomore and should fit in well, even if it's a downgrade from Harris. With Boston inside, they don't need her to be Harris 2.0. I think MHH's defense and overall presence will be missed, but Saxton/Amihere should be a good duo to make up for her offense. Saxton quietly did a good job this year as a rotation player, and Amihere has big upside. I think those 2 fill out the 4 spot well. The biggest difference between SC and everyone else (possibly in the country), is Aliyah Boston. 6-5, great on both ends, incredibly long, very strong....she's like another McCowan with her size and presence defensively but already is a far better offensive product. I think she'll be unleashed next year and dominate.

Mississippi State looks like the clear #2 team but they're kind of all over the map since they have a lot of really talented players but I think they have more moving pieces than anyone else, including a brand new coach who I don't think is as offensive minded as Vic. Jackson is an incredibly talented wing, Taylor was stellar as a PG last year, and Carter made huge strides offensively. That's a great core to build around. They're young but the pieces are there. I think Mississippi State has a real shot to get back in the Final Four again but a lot has to come together for them.

I think Arkansas will be the #3 team with Slocum, Ramirez and Dungee on the perimeter. That's a terrific 3 headed monster going into next season. Kentucky is good but not dynamic enough IMO to surpass the top 3. Mitchell is a solid coach but I think he'll overuse Howard like how Blair overused Chennedy at Texas A&M. Need to have more balance.

Tennessee again is kind of a wild card but they still have a great trio to build around in Horston, Davis and Key. Last year was definitely an adjustment for KJH, but honestly next year she needs better results or the fan base will be more disgruntled. Horston is way too talented to averaged 4+ TOs per game. If they don't get into the top 5 of the SEC next year, I'm not sure when it's going to happen since they lose Davis and have a pretty bare cupboard after that aside from Key/Horston.

Reaction Score
According to Vic in a presser recently before he moved onto Texas, they have not been able to guard her in practice all year. She would have started over Bibby and that is one reason I think she left. She saw the writing on the wall.

Vic has been known to exaggerate.

I think her value is that she gives you an at least three big rotation.

I think playing two stretchy forwards together with Rickea at the three is scary.

Just have to find some consistent guard play.

Reaction Score
Arkansas figures to be a little better, but so does Kentucky.

I'm interested to see if TAMU can be a more dangerous squad without Carter.

Reaction Score
Vic has been known to exaggerate.

I think her value is that she gives you an at least three big rotation.

I think playing two stretchy forwards together with Rickea at the three is scary.

Just have to find some consistent guard play.

the problem with MSU last year is lack of threat shooting the ball from the perimeter. Everything was go inside. Teams went zone and made things difficult for them

I think adding Cooks and Matharu to the starting lineup gives MSU much better shooting from the perimeter, specifically from 3. But we will see how it all comes together. Carter has to be more physical Inside and M. Taylor has to evolve offensively instead of playing 4 on 5

Matharu was the only threat to score from 3 last year and she spent most of her time on the bench until the very end of the season because MSU was desperate for offense outside of Rickea. Bibby and AEH did nothing. Rickea can take that shot but doesn’t prefer it. That’s one area that could make her game much better.

Reaction Score
the problem with MSU last year is lack of threat shooting the ball from the perimeter. Everything was go inside. Teams went zone and made things difficult for them

I think adding Cooks and Matharu to the starting lineup gives MSU much better shooting from the perimeter, specifically from 3. But we will see how it all comes together. Carter has to be more physical Inside and M. Taylor has to evolve offensively instead of playing 4 on 5

Matharu was the only threat to score from 3 last year and she spent most of her time on the bench until the very end of the season because MSU was desperate for offense outside of Rickea. Bibby and AEH did nothing. Rickea can take that shot but doesn’t prefer it. That’s one area that could make her game much better.

I'm pretty confident Rickea is going to do nothing but improve.

I was a little more disappointed in my other girl, Horston.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
This is still SC's league and a distant 2nd are Kentucky and MSU.

No idea what corner of your mind is telling you that this is SC's league considering in the last 4 years.... we've won 2 SEC titles, SC has won 2 SEC titles for an even split at 2-2. We've been to 2 championship games, SC has been to 1. They do have 1 National Title and a 6-3 head-to-head record overall, but all this tells me is that this league has recently come down to those 2 and it belongs to a very hotly contested race between the 2 equals. I don't know if you've fallen asleep at the wheel or just don't watch a lot of SEC ball, or you just have a tendency to ignore our team's existence for whatever reason we're not cool enough for you to make general ESPN headline, but it certainly appears to me that you're making peripheral observations here.

So tell me again how we're CLEARLY distant to SC and it's their league? :confused:

Mississippi State SEC record in the last 4 years (66-10)
South Carolina SEC record in the last 4 years (64-10)

So...?

Reaction Score

S Cooks’s three point shooting was one thing that surprised me from last summer’s games. She can fairly consistently hit from the arc. Fortunately R Jackson is a combo 3/4 and can slide down for off side rebounding.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No idea what corner of your mind is telling you that this is SC's league considering in the last 4 years.... we've won 2 SEC titles, SC has won 2 SEC titles for an even split at 2-2. We've been to 2 championship games, SC has been to 1. They do have 1 National Title and a 6-3 head-to-head record overall, but all this tells me is that this league has recently come down to those 2 and it belongs to a very hotly contested race between the 2 equals. I don't know if you've fallen asleep at the wheel or just don't watch a lot of SEC ball, or you just have a tendency to ignore our team's existence for whatever reason we're not cool enough for you to make general ESPN headline, but it certainly appears to me that you're making peripheral observations here.

So tell me again how we're CLEARLY distant to SC and it's their league? :confused:

Mississippi State SEC record in the last 4 years (66-10)
South Carolina SEC record in the last 4 years (64-10)

So...?
Take a look at their roster vs. yours, take a look at their very experienced coach vs. Your new coach. How many All-Americans do you have returning? We can take a poll and I would bet all non-MSU fans vote SC to win. So yeah, without a waiver of doubt, you are vying for 2nd with a much talented Kentucky squad.

Reaction Score
SC is the clear and obvious favorite next year early on for a reason. It may not happen but here is what we know. SC returns a roster stacked with star five star talents littered in the starting lineup and bench. Aliyah Boston was a giant reason for SC being so dominant last year and her supporting cast is a year older. Dawn is also proven, we know she will field good teams and what we get from her.

While Miss St does have the roster, talent and potential to win the SEC. McCray is completely unproven, she will have to earn that. We don't know how good her coaching ability really is. While Vic was a lot of things he was a damn good coach and developed kids well down in Starkville.

I still favor MSU right now over Kentucky but Kentucky has a much better makeup of talent this year to compliment Howard. Treasure Hunt, Edwards, and Chasity Patterson will make that squad one to watch, I could see them finishing 2nd in the conference if the pieces come together.

Reaction Score
For the life of me I CANNOT see why everyone continues to downgrade Myah Taylor at PG. I have coached HS basketball for over 20 years and won championships. I was a PG in HS. My PG is my coach on the floor and the player I ask the most out of. I know what a great PG looks like. Myah Taylor has the intangibles for that position. She is deadly on the defensive end (takes charges, lots of steals). On the offensive end, she doesn't turn the ball over much. She executes the offense. She leads. No she doesn't score a lot, but can if she HAS to. I can remember a very diminutive guard named Morgan William who wasn't much of a scorer and then dropped 41 on Baylor. Just wish Myah got more kudos for what she does.

Edited to add: Thanks for the rundown SECbbfan24
I agree. I also know that she is the most level-headed, grounded kid in the locker room. McCray is already leaning on her heavily as THE leader. Myah was a bucket in high school, and her lack of attempts at shots speaks to how she was coached to play the position by Vic. He didn’t want her to shoot. He wanted her to dribble drive. That’s not a knock on Vic—the man has my full respect...but even our 3 point shooters (Bibby and AEH) we’re rattled by something this year. She has the 4th best assist to turnover ratio in the country and the best in the SEC. I believe Coach McCray is going to get her where she needs to be scoring-wise.

Reaction Score
Everyone close to the program knows this is why Chloe left and wishes her well. She is beloved in Starkville. People within the program talked about Cooks being unguardable in practice. Chloe was leaving before Schaefer announced.

Reaction Score
Averaging close to 10 points a game under 20 minutes is pretty good. MSU has historically played a lot of bodies. I haven't been impressed with how Suzy Merchant has managed her teams over the last few years. Cooks is talented and has plenty of upside.

I still think she is better than Bibby and that in itself will help MSU next year, she doesn't have to be a super star to help them. They have plenty of fire power in other areas to complement each other.

On more than one occasion Vic mentioned that nobody could stop her in practice and that she was an absolute beast. I could see her thriving under someone like Vic as opposed to Suzy Merchant.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Take a look at their roster vs. yours, take a look at their very experienced coach vs. Your new coach. How many All-Americans do you have returning? We can take a poll and I would bet all non-MSU fans vote SC to win. So yeah, without a waiver of doubt, you are vying for 2nd with a much talented Kentucky squad.

I think next year will be the year of the Sidney Cooks. She's set to really show that she's exactly what her ranking originally had her as.... #5 prospect of her year. Of course we can't go off of this assumption that she's gonna be awesome, and for that reason + the fact that we have a new, unproven coach..... I can see why someone would lean heavily South Carolina.

I'm not arguing who's perceived to be stronger right now, of course South Carolina. Just saying that the records (66-10 vs 64-10) in the last 4 years are identical so based on conventional trends and recent yearly results, is why I predict these 2 will be mostly equal by the end of the year.

Reaction Score
If these transfers were to be deemed eligible immediately. Do y'all really think A&M could shoot up a few spots to that #3. They have a pretty dangerous roster lol

Reaction Score
My take, one to one
POSITION. SOUTH CAROLINA. MSST ADVANTAGE
CENTER. BOSTON. CARTER. BOSTON
PG. HENDERSON. M. TAYLOR. M. TAYLOR
SG. Z. COOKE. MATHARU. Z. COOKE
F. SAXON. S. COOKE. S. COOKE
F. AMIHERE. JACKSON. JACKSON

My opinion only, MSST has advantage 3 to 2 in quality of players but in MHO a major advantage for South Carolina is coaching, Dawn over McCray. I personally believe coaching is the major factor associated with WBB performance, hence I give the nod to South Carolina. In my opinion, Dawn is the best coach in the SEC and even if Vic were still the MSST coach I would still choose Dawn as the better coach.

Reaction Score
My take, one to one
Center - Boston
PG - Henderson
Henderson is going to surprise a lot of people (outside of the fanbase), as she takes over PG1.
SG (PG2) - Cooke
Wing - Beal
F - Jackson

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My take, one to one

My opinion only, MSST has advantage 3 to 2 in quality of players but in MHO a major advantage for South Carolina is coaching, Dawn over McCray. I personally believe coaching is the major factor associated with WBB performance, hence I give the nod to South Carolina. In my opinion, Dawn is the best coach in the SEC and even if Vic were still the MSST coach I would still choose Dawn as the better coach.

Boston is worth like 2 players though when you factor in impact on both ends. Even if Cooks winds up being better than Beal or Taylor over Henerson, the difference between those two is minimal compared to Boston vs. Carter.

Reaction Score
If these transfers were to be deemed eligible immediately. Do y'all really think A&M could shoot up a few spots to that #3. They have a pretty dangerous roster lol

I think it depends on how those highly touted freshmen and Jordan Nixon do.Don't those other transfers have to sit?

I think LSU could finish higher as well depending on how Young and the new kids step up. LSU just wasn't the same team without Mitchell (which is understandable) and that is my main concern going into next year. Richard Harris really did some good things as a senior and stepped up at critical times. I expect the JUCO transfer to play and contribute a lot. I hope we can get some more outside shooting next year to compliment Aifuwa down low. Free throw shooting has to improve. I got annoyed how many points we gave away from not hitting those each game.

Reaction Score
M. Taylor IMO is a better ball handler than Henderson but Henderson is a much better scorer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Arkansas will be the #3 team with Slocum, Ramirez and Dungee on the perimeter. That's a terrific 3 headed monster going into next season. Kentucky is good but not dynamic enough IMO to surpass the top 3. Mitchell is a solid coach but I think he'll overuse Howard like how Blair overused Chennedy at Texas A&M. Need to have more balance.

I could see it but my theory with Kentucky is they don't have to lean on Howard completely this coming year. Chastity Patterson came into her own down the stretch last year. She averaged over 11 points a game. The. experience and confidence she got changed her as a player. Edwards is going to be a big impact for them, she can play. Add in Treasure Hunt on the wing who is a dynamic scorer and creator, I think they look very different next year, much less predictable. They now have way better options to score outside of Howard. Their 4 star freshmen last year (who didn't play due to injury), Deasia Merrill is now back and should be another solid body to lean on.

My concern with Arkansas is they can live and die by the outside shooting and that doesn't seem like a consistent recipe for success. I think they finish high up in the standings.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
My take, one to one

Now that's funny.....I think South Carolina has an advantage at Center....point guard....shooting guard and one of the forward positions....maybe both....it's all about "what we think"....not a fact. I am telling you that Miss St does not hold a 3-2 advantage in a starting 5.....not now...not next year.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
The only spot we hold an obvious advantage in is Small Forward. Jackson over whoever their Small Forward is Beal or Saxton. It's ludicrous not to give us that one.

The other spots can only be decided during the year. It's hard to tell based on Mississippi State and South Carolina both promoting two players that haven't played as much as they should up until this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom