Seattle? | The Boneyard

Seattle?

Reaction Score
August 2019. Me, the wife, and our two sons (ages 10 and 12). Staying a couple nights in the city, then a week hiking Mt St. Helens and Ranier, then a couple more nights in Seattle (and then cruise to Alaska, but that's another topic).

Will catch a Mariners baseball game. What do you recommend for food and entertainment? And overrated places to stay away from?

Thanks!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Seattle Center has plenty of things to do to pass some time, but it's all a bit spendy in my mind. A ride up the Space Needle, Pacific Science Center (that one would probably be fun for the kids), Chihuly museum, Museum of Pop Culture, an IMAX Theater, there's a food court there but nothing special.

I should have lots of answers for you but I'm a north ender and mostly avoid downtown Seattle. I'm not much help on the restaurants front.

Strolling around Pike Place Market is probably worthwhile. Not far from there down to the waterfront.

There's the REI flagship store. It's huge. Has an indoor climbing wall, more gear than you can shake a stick at.

Taking a ride on the ferry system is pretty cool. The one from downtown goes to Bremerton or Bainbridge Island. You can drive a car on and then explore around Kitsap and/or Olympic Peninsulas (well, not if you go to Bainbridge, cuz your on an island). Or you can walk on, a lot simpler, and just enjoy the water crossing w/ views of mountains in all directions. There are numerous ferry terminals that depart to different destinations.

Speaking of islands, Puget Sound is full of them. The San Juans are gorgeous but a bit of hassle, it's recommended to get ferry tickets in advance and would be quite a bit for a day trip (not impossible though). There are numerous islands in the chain but San Juan and Orcas are the most developed. Whidbey Island is more doable for a day trip. You can catch a ferry to the south end of the island (Mukilteo to Clinton) or drive onto the north end via Hwy 20. The bridge over Deception Pass is quite spectacular.

I might think of more things later. Like I said I don't go into downtown much. To me the best thing about Seattle is everything that surrounds it. You have the right idea going hiking around a couple of the big peaks. Enjoy!

(Do you have an itinerary set for hiking? I haven't done all the trails around Rainier but I've hit several of them. Be prepared for crowds, Rainier on a nice summer weekend gets crazy.)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pike Place market is the quintessential tourist spot but I really enjoyed my time spent there (and there's probably something for everyone)... http://pikeplacemarket.org/sites/default/files/Walking Guide 101.pdf

My feelings as well. Only thing about going there is that I wish I was in a place where I could cook. Really made me want to buy some fish. But Pike's itself and the immediate surrounding area is a good area for a stroll

I do love The Whisky Bar. But your kids probably wouldn't be into it ;)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle Underground Tour is interesting. There's remnants of an earlier version of the city beneath some of the streets and sidewalks of downtown, guided tour.

University of Washington campus is a nice place to stroll around. August is too late for the famous cherry blossom trees but probably still plenty to look at. A little north of downtown but not far.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First, I would go to Alaska every year if I could.

Best place to cruise.

Second, I've never been to Seattle, but I've seen several Pearl Jam videos so AMA.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the tips so far!

(Do you have an itinerary set for hiking? I haven't done all the trails around Rainier but I've hit several of them. Be prepared for crowds, Rainier on a nice summer weekend gets crazy.)

My wife has gathered many of the Rainier trail reviews and is narrowing them down. Any thoughts/suggestions on the less crowded trails would be great appreciated, thanks!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
My wife has gathered many of the Rainier trail reviews and is narrowing them down. Any thoughts/suggestions on the less crowded trails would be great appreciated, thanks!

Less crowded, that's kind of a tall order. Paradise area gets slammed, so does Sunrise. If you get an early enough start those can still be okay. I kind of hate to tell you to avoid those because they are spectacular and have numerous options from both locations.

I haven't actually done it yet (well I started one day but it was fogged in and I bailed), but Shriner Peak is offset to the east a little bit away from the main part of the Park and might be less crowded.

I hiked north from Box Canyon once along the Wonderland Trail and didn't see too many people. Same with the one time I hiked up the Kautz Creek trail. But in both cases you have to hike for a while before you get good views.

I should ask what you are looking for in terms of distance and elevation gain. I think in general I would just say try to start early and then you'll be fine for at least half the day no matter where you go. Some of the parking lots do fill up by mid morning or so.

If you don't mind braving some crowds, I'd probably steer you toward the Sunrise area. A little below there is a pullout beside the road at Fryingpan Creek (limited parking) that leads to Summerland and Panhandle Gap. From the road end at Sunrise there are several options. You can combine Fremont Lookout and the Burroughs Mountains (continue on to Third Burroughs if you can for spectacular up close overview of a glacier). Paradise has some nice trails too but I've generally been avoiding that area for years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Seattle Underground Tour is interesting. There's remnants of an earlier version of the city beneath some of the streets and sidewalks of downtown, guided tour.

University of Washington campus is a nice place to stroll around. August is too late for the famous cherry blossom trees but probably still plenty to look at. A little north of downtown but not far.

This stood out from my two trips to Seattle. The Underground is cool.

If you have a rental car, visit the Fremont Bridge Troll When I was young and single, I really liked that Fremont neighborhood. It's the more Bohemian neighborhood in Seattle with bars, breweries, cafes etc. Much of it on the Canal. Ballard is another interesting neighborhood to the west of it. The old original Red Hook brewery was there when I first visited.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought the Experience Music Project right near the Space Needle was an expensive rip-off. I just checked and it's been rebranded as the Museum of Pop Culture. I'm not sure that's any better. I thought Top Pot Donuts were pretty great. A baseball game is a must, it's a cool park.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom