Seattle Storm @ Phoenix Mercury - 7/31/18 | The Boneyard

Seattle Storm @ Phoenix Mercury - 7/31/18

Reaction Score
05A27557-871E-4AE2-8032-A0561CACD027.jpeg
I’m sitting behind the Storm bench. Sue & Stew got lots of cheers in the intros from the PHX crowd. Storm off to a fast start, but looks like Diana came to play tonight. Mercury just picked up Devereoux Peters, but she hasn’t been on the floor yet. 15-14 Seattle middle of Q1. Griner with 2 fouls already.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
81-60 Seattle after 3Q. Their offense is looking sharp. 20 assists, 53% on FGAs, 56% from the arc, and 91% on FTAs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Griner & Bonner both picked up their 3rd fouls early in Q3, so Mercury defense was kinda hamstrung. But Mercury offense looking bad too - lots of bad shots and no offensive rebounds. Game really got away from them fast.

Seattle is good. That Stewart kid can play! She blew by/around Griner to score a few times - made it look embarrassingly easy.

Bench in now for both teams w/ 3 min left - it’s over.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I noticed Jewell’s 3-point shot at the ASG. She put a lot of arc on it, almost like Tiffany Hayes or Chelsea Gray. When Jewell is off, her shot tends to be flat. It wasn’t flat in Minnesota or in Phoenix tonight.

Seattle passes the ball well. It’s everyone, not just Sue. Jewell made some nice assists and was the recipient on some others.

Reaction Score
Phoenix closed the gap in garbage time, so the final was only 102-90. Jewell had 29, and Howard had 15 and 10.
Thanks - I left when both teams put the scrubs in with the Mercury down 18. I'm a Mercury fan, but they've been headed downhill for the last month - just don't seem to have it. It looks like they don't play with any intensity, any "want to." ?? Honestly sometimes it seems to me like Brondello, Griner and Taurasi are just kinda taking it easy and resting up in the off-season so they'll be fresh when their real$$ basketball season starts in Russia.

Reaction Score
Thanks - I left when both teams put the scrubs in with the Mercury down 18. I'm a Mercury fan, but they've been headed downhill for the last month - just don't seem to have it. It looks like they don't play with any intensity, any "want to." ?? Honestly sometimes it seems to me like Brondello, Griner and Taurasi are just kinda taking it easy and resting up in the off-season so they'll be fresh when their real$$ basketball season starts in Russia.

It all fell apart for the Mercury when Sancho Lyttle's season was unfortunately ended by an ACL in early July. When that happened, I predicted here that it would be very tough sledding for the rest of the season, given the weak bench, poor team culture, and paint-by-numbers approach of the head coach. They've gone one for eight since that happened, and the only team they've managed to beat is the hapless Indiana Fever. :(

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom