Seattle Storm @ Los Angeles Sparks - 6/07/18 | The Boneyard

Seattle Storm @ Los Angeles Sparks - 6/07/18

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sparks looked terrible most of the first half. Chipped away at the lead late in Q2. Quiet night so far for Loyd but Stewie and Howard doing lots of damage. Seattle up 9, had LA doubled up much of the half.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle pushed the lead to 20 in Q3. Sparks are not impressing me at all. They seemed better when they were undermanned and forced to play small ball. Ogwumike is pretty much on her own tonight, get almost nothing from anybody else. Even Gray and Sims are pretty ineffective. Stewie and Howard still leading the way but Storm get some more balanced scoring.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I know several posters are critical of Clark for Seattle, but she scored 12 in the quarter and is now leading the Storm w/ 17. Compare to Beard for LA who has 2 points.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For a game in L.A., the Sparks look flat. They are sloppy and missing several point-blank shots. And Stewie can play with anyone. MVP??

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know several posters are critical of Clark for Seattle, but she scored 12 in the quarter and is now leading the Storm w/ 17. Compare to Beard for LA who has 2 points.
I was one of them, but more because I did not "know" her and she didn't seem to bring much to the table. Then I watched a few games and came away impressed. And I REALLY like Howard for the Storm. Proving she's a good player and that she was wasted (or under used, or not used properly) in Minnesota...

REALLY big win for Seattle and nice to see the parity in the league.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Both teams were a bit sloppy at times, partly because there were several very long defenders on the floor. That may be the best I've seen Seattle look on the road. Clark also played as well as I've seen her, and Howard is a difference maker. Seattle was quicker, more aggressive, moved better, and passed the ball nicely.

Sims, Gray, and Parker were each about 8-10 ppg below their season averages. Wow!

I'm trying to figure out who the best teams are, but every day my assessment change. It's a competitive season.

After the game, the league leader in assists was Sue Bird, at 6.6 apg. Chelsea Gray is at 6.2 apg.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Both teams were a bit sloppy at times, partly because there were several very long defenders on the floor. That may be the best I've seen Seattle look on the road. Clark also played as well as I've seen her, and Howard is a difference maker. Seattle was quicker, more aggressive, moved better, and passed the ball nicely.

Sims, Gray, and Parker were each about 8-10 ppg below their season averages. Wow!

I'm trying to figure out who the best teams are, but every day my assessment change. It's a competitive season.

After the game, the league leader in assists was Sue Bird, at 6.6 apg. Chelsea Gray is at 6.2 apg.
If Clark plays half that well every game, Seattle can play with anyone in the league. Howard never got the minutes in Minnesota, because she played behind Brunson who looks like age is catching up with her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like the result but hate the spread. The WNBA needs games that are competitive and results like this are not good for the WNBA.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I like the result but hate the spread. The WNBA needs games that are competitive and results like this are not good for the WNBA.

They broadcasted the wrong Thursday game.. Of course hindsight is 20/20.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
This Seattle team is not like last year's version. I think they are for real this time around. They have some scores to settle with the Sun, and we have them in their house twice this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This Seattle team is not like last year's version. I think they are for real this time around. They have some scores to settle with the Sun, and we have them in their house twice this year.

At the beginning of the season, the Lynx (last year's league champion) and the Sparks (last year's championship runner-up) were thought to be the two best teams in the league. Not so. Connecticut (7-1), Seattle (6-2) and Phoenix (6-3) are atop the league standings at the moment. The Fever remain winless, and the Aces have won once. The Lynx are struggling, and the Sparks were blown out at home earlier this week by 25.

There appears to be a shift in the balance of power in the W. The Sun are averaging 92 ppg. So far, save a 5 point road loss to the Dream (82-77), the Sun are a mystery to the rest of the league. They look pretty good coming out of the gate this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, the Lynx (last year's league champion) and the Sparks (last year's championship runner-ups) were thought to be the two best teams in the league. Not so. Connecticut (7-1), Seattle (6-2) and Phoenix (6-3) are atop the league standings at the moment. The Fever remain winless, and the Aces have won once. The Lynx are struggling, and the Sparks were blown out at home earlier this week by 25.

There appears to be a shift in the balance of power in the W. The Sun are averaging 92 ppg. So far, save a 5 point road loss to the Dream (82-77), the Sun are a mystery to the rest of the league. They look pretty good coming out of the gate this year.
More than that there seems to be a great deal of parity, with the exception of Indiana and Vegas. Some other teams have yet to hit their stride as they await the arrival of some of their other players (or wait for them to come off injuries)...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sparks' first-round pick Vadeeva joining team
8:03 am - pst

ESPN's Mechelle Voepel reports that Russian center Maria Vadeeva, the Los Angeles Sparks' first-round WNBA draft selection at No. 11 overall, will be joining the team this weekend. She was in the process of flying from Russia to Los Angeles on Saturday. According to a Sparks official, she was expected to be activated right away and be on the bench for Sunday's 5 p.m. ET game against the Chicago Sky.

The 6-foot-4 Vadeeva is just 19 -- she turns 20 in July -- but has been playing professionally in her native country since she was 16. Her current team there is Dynamo Kursk, which won the EuroLeague title in 2017, and among her teammates there is Sparks star Nneka Ogwumike.

[Rest of article]

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's some big news about Vadeeva.

Reaction Score
Unless there is a ton of garbage time, I doubt she plays. She doesn’t know any of the plays. They would basically just throw her in as a rebounder.

Reaction Score
I love it when the LA Sparks get their butts handed to them by anyone and the Storm did a very nice job of out hustling them and all around out playing the Sparks!
Candace Parker was in her "don't bother me I'm in my primping for the post game mood" She's supposed to be (just ask her!) the greatest BB player, men or women of all time and picks and chooses when she'll decide to give 100% effort!
What a joy to watch players like Breanna Stewart, Nneka and/or Chiney Ogwumike, any member of the Sun, Sue Bird, Maya Moore, DT, Tina Charles, Tiffany Hayes, Allie Quigley, Jewel Loyd,and others that bring their hustle & desire & skills to each and every game!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom