Seattle "Regionals" - Where do the teams assigned to those regions come from? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seattle "Regionals" - Where do the teams assigned to those regions come from?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
That’s exactly the point. In order to insure some “home cooking” in the most advantageous region, a team has to be a #1 or #2 seed, something that SC has earned this year, and something that UConn has been able to do every single year that the East Regional was in Bridgeport or Albany.
Your point seemed to be poor SC was shipped up north. Except they weren't A 1. Last year NC State was sent north as a 1 their problem was they didn't beat SC when they had the chance so they weren't the #1 1

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How about the 1 seed goes to the closest? Again Indiana is not and has never been in the East. Regionals used to be, East South Midwest West.
That's exactly what the committee attempts to do, this year with SC in Greenville & Stanford in Seattle. I guess you could question sending VA Tech to Seattle and IN to Greenville, but I do think the S-curve comes into play. IN is the 2nd overall seed behind SC, so they and their fans get to play closer to home.

Relative to the S-curve, the Committee did UConn a great service by seeding the Huskies 6th overall, behind Stanford #4 and Iowa #5. UConn doesn't have to play SC, Stanford or Iowa, unless they meet in the finals, while VA Tech is the most vulnerable #1 imo, and I think UConn is a better team than IN, should they meet in the national semifinals.
Your point seemed to be poor SC was shipped up north. Except they weren't A 1. Last year NC State was sent north as a 1 their problem was they didn't beat SC when they had the chance so they weren't the #1 1
I agree. That's what happens when you don't take care of business during the regular season. If NC State beats SC during the regular season, they end up close to home and probably make it to the FF.
When was that, 2014 experiment. Not first 2 rounds the regional finals?
Yes, in 2014, the Sweet 16 & the Elite 8 were held on campus at ND, Stanford, Louisville & Nebraska. ND & Stanford both advanced on their home court to the FF. Louisville was upset on their home court by MD in the Elite 8. UConn was the odd team out, advancing to the FF on Nebraska's home court.

The NCAA continually experiments with various schemes to crank up attendance and ratings in the WBB tournament. While attendance was good in 2014, there was a lot of complaints about fairness, something that UConn hears every time they win the regional in Albany or Bridgeport. 2014 was the last time regional tournaments were held on campus.

For the next 4 years, we have yet another experiment, playing the 4 regional tournaments in 2 locations over 4 days. We'll see how this scenario works out.

Reaction Score
The sites are always bid on. So South Carolina going to South Carolina is fair?

You must not of heard Geno's sarcasm about this. And yes, he said it's fair!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
That's exactly what the committee attempts to do, this year with SC in Greenville & Stanford in Seattle. I guess you could question sending VA Tech to Seattle and IN to Greenville, but I do think the S-curve comes into play. IN is the 2nd overall seed behind SC, so they and their fans get to play closer to home.

Relative to the S-curve, the Committee did UConn a great service by seeding the Huskies 6th overall, behind Stanford #4 and Iowa #5. UConn doesn't have to play SC, Stanford or Iowa, unless they meet in the finals, while VA Tech is the most vulnerable #1 imo, and I think UConn is a better team than IN, should they meet in the national semifinals.

I agree. That's what happens when you don't take care of business during the regular season. If NC State beats SC during the regular season, they end up close to home and probably make it to the FF.

Yes, in 2014, the Sweet 16 & the Elite 8 were held on campus at ND, Stanford, Louisville & Nebraska. ND & Stanford both advanced on their home court to the FF. Louisville was upset on their home court by MD in the Elite 8. UConn was the odd team out, advancing to the FF on Nebraska's home court.

The NCAA continually experiments with various schemes to crank up attendance and ratings in the WBB tournament. While attendance was good in 2014, there was a lot of complaints about fairness, something that UConn hears every time they win the regional in Albany or Bridgeport. 2014 was the last time regional tournaments were held on campus.

For the next 4 years, we have yet another experiment, playing the 4 regional tournaments in 2 locations over 4 days. We'll see how this scenario works out.
I have zero faith in the NCAA. Move games away from this area to crank up attendance. And move 8 teams across the country where attendance is suspect? This year the experiment is goid for only one team. Geno stated he was against this experiment.
Going back to 2007 UConn as a 1 was shipped out to Fresno, 2008 Greensboro. I know we are basically on the same page the NCAA and it's trying to appease some pisses off more. With the exception of the 4 quarters nothing the NCAA had done has helped the women's game, in my opinion.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have zero faith in the NCAA. Move games away from this area to crank up attendance. And move 8 teams across the country where attendance is suspect? This year the experiment is goid for only one team. Geno stated he was against this experiment.
Going back to 2007 UConn as a 1 was shipped out to Fresno, 2008 Greensboro. I know we are basically on the same page the NCAA and it's trying to appease some pisses off more. With the exception of the 4 quarters nothing the NCAA had done has helped the women's game, in my opinion.

Well in 2008, the four regionals were in OKC, Spokane, New Orleans, and Greensboro. They sent TN to OKC, Maryland to Spokane, Chapel Hill to New Orleans, and UConn came here to Greensboro. That worked out well for yall, it was definitely the closest location.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom