Seattle at the Mystics, Game 3 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Seattle at the Mystics, Game 3

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The real shocker is this is Sue Birds first winning team since 2011.

Some of here remember what you said a few months ago.

is their a chance Jordon Canada will be so good she will force the Storm to give her more minutes by mid season than Sue Bird?

Canada goes 6-7 in free throws and Bird averaged 1 free throw attempt a game that last 3 years. Canada may get more minutes a game THIS year than Bird.

How can Seattle win with Clark and Paris? Unless Canada is a monster they’ll be .500. Bird has not been on a winning team for the last 6 years. Stewart and KML have never played on a winning team since UConn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I know Seattle is a sports crazy city and they love their basketball and the Storm have great fan support (for a WNBA team at least) but I am curious if the city will have a full scale ticker tape celebration parade? Did they have one on 2004 or 2010? Did any other WNBA championship teams get that treatment??. Looking forward to learning. :)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dan Hughes was hanging it up after the 2017 season, but was convinced to have a last hurrah in Seattle. Man must feel vindicaated and so gratified.

Think I heard that this was his first championship.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him come back to try to get another (after coaching in the World Cup, that is!).

Get some depth in the draft and go from there!

Class act.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Think I heard that this was his first championship.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him come back to try to get another (after coaching in the World Cup, that is!).

Get some depth in the draft and go from there!

Class act.

I misspoke. He retired after 2016 season and came back after a year to coach Sue and Stewie & Co. Somehow it was meant to be.

Reaction Score
Hope next year SEA can get either KLS or Napheesa, then yes I think they can repeat.
Seattle have the last pick in each round. KLS and Pheese will be gone by then. Of course they could trade up to the middle of the 1st round round to get one of them.

Reaction Score
The Mystics are more formidable if EDD does not suffer that injury. She answered the bell, but you could tell she was not the same as before the injury.

She is the only consistent player on the team. Toliver can be erratic at times. She'll give you 25 one night, and 5 the next. The Mystics are one player away from being serious championship contenders.
Emma Meeseman will help alot but EDD and Meeseman basically play the same position. Atkins, Ariel Powers and MHA will be improved next season. If I were the Mystics, I would try to make a trade for another player who want to play closer to home - Angel McCoughtry. But I doubt Mike Thibault would give up Meeseman for her.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Enigmatic. Sue is not running in 2020? She will not eat green eggs and ham? Whitcomb won't be special? Mulkey will not do a bra toss this season?
Haha, I was responding to this post Rocky:
With players being so superstitious, will Sue agree to break her nose next year? As MVP, Stewie would be asked to do the honors. ;)

Reaction Score
Emma Meesseman.

Yes, I think the Mystics really missed her play. If EDD is 100% healthy with Meesseman & Tolliver the series IMO would have gone the full 5 though I think the result would have been the same, Seattle is deeper on the their bench than Washington is on theirs. Again IMO.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Seattle have the last pick in each round. KLS and Pheese will be gone by then. Of course they could trade up to the middle of the 1st round round to get one of them.

Wh0 do you think they would have to give up to get a 6-9 pick? It sure won't be draft choices. It would be fun to see Mo (Plum's apparent understudy! :eek:) show up; 'course there is the whole soundness issue.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Emma Meeseman will help alot but EDD and Meeseman basically play the same position. Atkins, Ariel Powers and MHA will be improved next season. If I were the Mystics, I would try to make a trade for another player who want to play closer to home - Angel McCoughtry. But I doubt Mike Thibault would give up Meeseman for her.

And Mike Thibault shouldn't make that trade, in my opinion.
I admire the season 6'1" Angel McCoughtry had, but in 2019 she'll be 32 and coming back (maybe) from the knee injury she unfortunately suffered at the end of this year's regular season.

On the other hand, Emma Meeseman will have just turned 26, is 6'4" will be ready to roll in D.C. Given EDD's history of injuries, I'm not certain Thibault will not want both around. Why not try to see if they can both work together?

My gut is that the Mystics could use another forward or post who could keep opposing teams from getting offensive rebounds and offer some defensive help in the middle. A lot depends on how she comes back from her own injury, but I can see Brianna Turner adding value to that team.

On the other hand, I think Brianna would be a great back-up (for awhile) for Natasha Clark in Seattle.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Not close. Sue is a lock. 4 Olympic Gold and maybe 5. etc etc etc. She'll get there before Lobo did.
I also think that Sue will have a long and successful career as a coach. But in my opinion she’s done enough as it is a player already to get into the hall.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I also think that Sue will have a long and successful career as a coach. But in my opinion she’s done enough as it is a player already to get into the hall.

I would not be surprised to see her coaching, but broadcasting may be her thing. Her significant other (if they hang together) can complicate things too. College coaching makes brutal demands. Pro league not so much.

CL82

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to see her coaching, but broadcasting may be her thing. Her significant other (if they hang together) can complicate things too. College coaching makes brutal demands. Pro league not so much.
It would be a shame if she didn't end up coaching. I watched the clips of her talking with her team and the passion and intensity was special. Wish her the best whatever she chooses, obviously, and more years playing before she makes that makes the decision.

Reaction Score
It's that championship look!

Dm_BuRXUYAABJ3Z.jpg:large

Anybody want to add their own caption?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno is very proud.

He should be. Each one of his former players is a living breathing testimony to the success of his program, that they must be doing something right. How many other current coaches can point to a former player with credentials and success similar to Stewie's and say: She's ours. She came through our program? Recruits in the next 4 classes should take note of that dynamic, and conduct themselves accordingly.

Reaction Score
And Mike Thibault shouldn't make that trade, in my opinion.
I admire the season 6'1" Angel McCoughtry had, but in 2019 she'll be 32 and coming back from a knee injury (maybe).

On the other hand, Emma Meeseman will have just turned 26, is 6'4" will be ready to roll in D.C. Given EDD's history of injuries, I'm not certain Thibault will not want both around. Why not try to see if they can both work together?

My gut is that the Mystics could use someone who could keep teams from getting offensive rebounds and offer some defensive help in the middle. A lot depends on how she comes back from her own injury, but I can see Brianna Turner adding value to that team.

On the other hand, I think she'd be a great back-up (for awhile) for Natasha Clark in Seattle.
I was thinking about the age difference when I was posting this so you make a good point. It depends on if the Mystics feel like they can win the whole thing next season or build more pieces for the future.

I wouldn't be shocked if Brianna Turner goes to Seattle. She should be there at #12. Jessica Shepard should be there for the Mystics at #10 and I think that is who they are targeting right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom