Season Tickets for 2019-2020 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Season Tickets for 2019-2020

Reaction Score
Renewals are showing up in UConn accounts
What are people doing? I think we're done with season tickets and will buy secondary market. Never thought we'd bail completely out of UConn sports in one calendar year, but football out and now MBB heading there too.

Reaction Score
What are people doing? I think we're done with season tickets and will buy secondary market. Never thought we'd bail completely out of UConn sports in one calendar year, but football out and now MBB heading there too.
Think we are going to stick with them just because but definitely not happy about the cost increase

Reaction Score
Think we are going to stick with them just because but definitely not happy about the cost increase
And to verify, this seat donation will be a yearly and not a one-time thing? I'm assuming it'll be yearly.

Reaction Score
After 12 years with 4 seats I am out. I will grab tickets here and there for my son but there are way to many games that have no value what so ever to be charging $100 per seat per game. It is simply a non starter. There were multiple games that I couldn’t give the seats away and the arena was half empty. I will continue with woman’s tickets for my parents but only because they didn’t increase those tickets 5 fold.

Maybe we can call this the UConn Blue New Deal.

C

Chief00

Unless Chief is wrong (unlikely), it’s amazing how much UConn is misjudging their market. They should have a better handle on this type of thing. Their market segmentation strategy seems to be - have 20% of the fans foot maybe 90% of the bill. The other 80% will effectively get into the building cheaply and move into the better seats. Chief has never been bothered by this casual fan practice but now that I am paying $100 a seat times 4 and they are paying perhaps $15. It doesn’t pass the smell test.

One Chief observation, I have never in all my years in business seen a management team so prone to copying what doesn’t work. It’s a novel approach that’s not likely to succeed.

And if there is erosion in the 20% group the entire model collapses in a very ugly manner. Similar to what they have done with mid field football chair back seats.

The one team that has had some success this season WBB, where perhaps they would benefit from sone momentum - they take a discriminatory position and do not impose these prices on females and older people, the WBB fan demographic. But middle age men of all colors - hammer them with predatory pricing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Unless Chief is wrong, it’s amazing how much UConn is misjudging their market. They should have a better handle on this type of thing. Their market segmentation strategy seems to be - have 20% of the fans foot maybe 90% of the bill. The other 80% will effectively get into the building cheaply and move into the better seats. Chief has never been bothered by this casual fan practice but now that I am paying $100 a seat times 4 and they are paying perhaps $15. It doesn’t pass the smell test.

One Chief observation, I have never in all my years in business seen a management team so prone to copying what doesn’t work. It’s a novel approach that’s not likely to succeed.

And if there is erosion in the 20% group the entire model collapses in a very ugly manner. Similar to what they have done with mid field football chair back seats.

The one team that has had some success this season WBB, where perhaps they would benefit from sone momentum - they take a discriminatory position and do not impose these prices on females and older people, the WBB fan demographic. But middle age men of all colors - hammer them with predatory pricing.

There are few games on their home schedule that warrant the $100+ per seat they are looking for. You literally cannot give away tickets to the likes of ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, and others on most years in the recent past. That is the issue at the moment. As the process moves on and UConn gets back to the level we all have come to expect in theory yes the price tag for the tickets should go up. Unfortunately the University officials are failing to account for it takes two teams to play a game and unless you are playing premier teams or regional rivalries the tickets will not hold their face value.

Tickets were available all season last year for 1/2 to 1/3rd of the face value of tickets and the stadium still did not sell out. I am fine with paying a slight increase for tickets but I will not stand for the ski mask approach. I am leaning towards making a donation to a specific team and using thr secondary market to pick up the games I cannot miss as a loyal alumni and fan, rather than purchase season tickets.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unless Chief is wrong (unlikely), it’s amazing how much UConn is misjudging their market. They should have a better handle on this type of thing. Their market segmentation strategy seems to be - have 20% of the fans foot maybe 90% of the bill. The other 80% will effectively get into the building cheaply and move into the better seats. Chief has never been bothered by this casual fan practice but now that I am paying $100 a seat times 4 and they are paying perhaps $15. It doesn’t pass the smell test.

If the new president doesn’t fire anyone and everyone attached to this we know he’s another useless blowhard.

Reaction Score
I've never been a season ticket holder so I ignored this thread until this morning. I just read all of it; another chapter in the disastrous collapse of UConn athletics where the powers that be seem detached from reality.

As Chief said, talk about misjudging your market. On top of it all, this is New England; it's a pro market with a million other things to do. It's not some remote hayseed village in the south or midwest where there's nothing else to do for a thousand miles. The basketball team is a bad product in a bad conference and people around the state aren't going to care. Most already don't. They certainly aren't going to accept a massive price increase when the program is the worst it's been in 30+ years. Winning will cure some of it but not all of it; you can't sell a fanbase that's used to filet mignon a McDonald's burger and expect them to be excited about it or pay more for it. For most people, "loyalty" is a cheap trick to try to guilt you into staying. I'd be insulted if I were a season ticket holder.

I have never cared about attending live sporting events, especially since HDTV was introduced. My father had Jets season tickets for 25+ years but it was a no-brainer to drop them when MetLife and PSLs came around. This seems like that situation all over again. Paying way more to see a blah product when you can get tickets on the secondary market for a fraction of the cost. Pulling the loyalty card on UConn fans takes a mix of balls and stupidity that's rarely seen. Forget the age-old XL vs Gampel debate, pretty soon we'll be playing games in the practice facility in front of 200 fans.

Reaction Score
has the media picked up on this and written anything yet?

Reaction Score
There are few games on their home schedule that warrant the $100+ per seat they are looking for. You literally cannot give away tickets to the likes of ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, and others on most years in the recent past. That is the issue at the moment. As the process moves on and UConn gets back to the level we all have come to expect in theory yes the price tag for the tickets should go up. Unfortunately the University officials are failing to account for it takes two teams to play a game and unless you are playing premier teams or regional rivalries the tickets will not hold their face value.

Tickets were available all season last year for 1/2 to 1/3rd of the face value of tickets and the stadium still did not sell out. I am fine with paying a slight increase for tickets but I will not stand for the ski mask approach. I am leaning towards making a donation to a specific team and using thr secondary market to pick up the games I cannot miss as a loyal alumni and fan, rather than purchase season tickets.

I think my ticket group probably covers the entire spectrum - we have 3 guys paying for 4 seats. One guy bailed becuase he literally cannot afford it now (fixed income). The other guy can afford it, but is so outraged he said he won't do it (he uses the term hostage situation). I'm outraged, can afford it, but will go along with the other two even though I hate to lose our seats. The saddest thing is I'm 100% sure that we will make out like bandits applying just a portion of the $1600 seat fee to the secondary market and be getting great seats in the process.

Reaction Score
My group is %100 out - while all of us could afford to keep the seats we are all so outraged there was no discussion - to a man we all said "we are done".

Due to procrastination (although I was suspicious when they pushed for early renewals with the carrot of "guaranteed blue parking") - we had not yet renewed our football seats ... and now those will not be renewed as well.

Call it "trickle down stupidity" not only are they harming the mens basketball team - it's trickled down to harm football as well.

Reaction Score
I wonder who thought that more then quadrupling ticket prices while the team sits out another March Madness tournament was a good idea.

Houston is battling for the elite 8 against Kentucky as I type while UConn is home on the couch sending desperate please to their beleaguered fan base for money and patience.

The good news is we can watch the games on cable tv next year, oh on second thought I meant we can watch them stream on ESPN + if we pay another 5 bucks a month.

Will the last person left please turn the lights out?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
so we did not renew our $400 donation/per seats by the deadline. No word from the geniuses at the AD, so what happens now? We're no longer considered season ticket holders and there's no effort at retention?

Reaction Score
so we did not renew our $400 donation/per seats by the deadline. No word from the geniuses at the AD, so what happens now? We're no longer considered season ticket holders and there's no effort at retention?
What deadline?

Reaction Score
Just received a call from a girl in regards to upcoming season. She said we should receive mailed info by the weekend.

Reaction Score
I suspect that all of those outraged were providing little donations to UCONN since my understanding of the new policy is that there is no requirement to increase your donation, as you can keep your seat location as long as you maintain in total dollars between the seat donation and annual donation the same as you gave in total donations the year before.

Therefore the only ones for whom it would cost more are those who gave less than the seat donation the year before. For most seats that is very small donation, for the more expensive seats too many of those were purchased and never used. Those unused seats are likely to be given up and used to leverage more donations which are desperately needed to remain competitive.

I believe there are a lot of seats in great locations not being used and for which there are no current donations coming in.

For those who can afford to maintain their seat locations but decide to bail, they probably will regret that decision in a couple of years as the new policy does enable new donors to quickly move ahead in points with the result being a season ticket holder who bailed and wants to return a couple of years later will find they cannot qualify for the same seats even.

I believe there will be a lot of new donors who have felt shut out coming in to grab the tickets being freed up.

Reaction Score
I suspect that all of those outraged were providing little donations to UCONN since my understanding of the new policy is that there is no requirement to increase your donation, as you can keep your seat location as long as you maintain in total dollars between the seat donation and annual donation the same as you gave in total donations the year before.

Objectively untrue, at least as it pertains to me, and any other football season ticket holder who was paying seat donations for football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Therefore the only ones for whom it would cost more are those who gave less than the seat donation the year before. For most seats that is very small donation, for the more expensive seats too many of those were purchased and never used. Those unused seats are likely to be given up and used to leverage more donations which are desperately needed to remain competitive.

I believe there are a lot of seats in great locations not being used and for which there are no current donations coming in.

For those who can afford to maintain their seat locations but decide to bail, they probably will regret that decision in a couple of years as the new policy does enable new donors to quickly move ahead in points with the result being a season ticket holder who bailed and wants to return a couple of years later will find they cannot qualify for the same seats even.

I believe there will be a lot of new donors who have felt shut out coming in to grab the tickets being freed up.

Whatever you’d like to wager on your conclusion.

Reaction Score
Objectively untrue, at least as it pertains to me, and any other football season ticket holder who was paying seat donations for football.
We're in same boat re. Football season ticket donations for over a decade at Rent, not to mention general AD random donations. The other person is clueless

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom