Season Hangs On Olivia and Christyn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Season Hangs On Olivia and Christyn

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Obviously UCONN can win most games without either Christyn or Liv having great games, but if we want to return to the status of dominating women's basketball in the coming seasons, we need both of them to up their games and to become more consistent players... I personally would like to see them both averaging Double, Doubles this season, close to or about 20 pts and 8-10 rbs each.. in addition, Liv 3 blks per game, shooting 58% field goal.. and Christyn 40% from deep plus 2 steals per game.

It's nice to have the young guns contributing this year by any means possible, but it's the goal of our program to be able to develop our players each year, it does not bode well for the future if our juniors/seniors are not showing significant signs of growth and improvement..

Reaction Score
I always see Liv and Chrystin a lot like Dolson and Hartley. These duos were put in the fire a lot sooner than anyone would have liked and therefore we are watching the ups and downs because we have to depend on them as opposed to other underclassman.

I personally believe that Anna will be the key to this season. I truly believe that Chrystin and Liv will be leaps and bounds better than last year and if Anna can use her new fitness to push pace all game and fill the stat lines with assists, points from all over the court, and more rebounds than last year everyone else better watch out. She is the best example of the new versatility Geno has been talking about. If you are the opposition, who guards her? Bigs and then she just finds Liv inside or uses guard skills to get around and shoot. Guards? She either shoots over them or passes to the other side where Chrystin is ready to work her magic.

I feel like regular smart combinations of Liv, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Anna, Evina, Chrystin, Paige, and Nika throughout the competitive parts of a game pose a lot of mismatches for most teams that will lead to doubling and tripling which will leave multiple huskies open for good shots. Pick your fresh legs poison.. .

Reaction Score
I agree with everyone who has downplayed Williams and Nelson-Ododa being "the" key to the season. The key to a season is often the player with the biggest range of possible outcomes. Christyn and Liv are expected, like most juniors on other teams to make modest improvement and show more leadership.

Are there reasons it could be more than that? Sure, in Christyn's case, she says it was her worst year in some time. So maybe we expect a little more than the usual soph to junior improvement. In Liv's case perhaps we can expect a more than normal jump because she has put on a few pounds.

But that doesn't mean look for a total breakout kind of season. We largely know what they are, expect them to be somewhat better, but the keys to the season clearly involve the unknowns more than the knowns.

Are Paige and the freshman class the real deal? If so that has a huge impact on this year, and in fact for three years after that. Quite possibly the key to next year's team will be the 2021 class as well, although probably not as crucial because this year's class more far more needed, and next year is a little like the cherry on top.

Reaction Score
It is a mystery to me how people are ignoring Anna! I believe there’s going to be a lot of pundits dining on crow as this season progresses. I’m pretty sure she is the best 3pt shooter on the team, she is big and has really worked to get in good shape. She is one of the best passers on the team and she has good bball IQ to boot! ??? I just don’t get it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is a mystery to me how people are ignoring Anna! I believe there’s going to be a lot of pundits dining on crow as this season progresses. I’m pretty

What would be the right wine for eating crow, a red or a white? :D

1605904374734.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is there really more than one "there" in Husky land?
In Husky Land no. This is the BY and there are many here that have become far too content with just making it to a FF. I firmly reside in Husky Land and regularly visit the BY.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Husky Land! You don't get there in a car, a plane, or even a boat.

Reaction Score
It is a mystery to me how people are ignoring Anna! I believe there’s going to be a lot of pundits dining on crow as this season progresses. I’m pretty sure she is the best 3pt shooter on the team, she is big and has really worked to get in good shape. She is one of the best passers on the team and she has good bball IQ to boot! ??? I just don’t get it!

I think Anna will do very well. Should be big help. Just saying that getting to the NC game- and winning it- probably will not rest on whether Anna becomes an AA or close to it. I think that others- especially key freshmen- could do it if they show themselves to be great players!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
In Husky Land no. This is the BY and there are many here that have become far too content with just making it to a FF. I firmly reside in Husky Land and regularly visit the BY.
Okay Coco. Show me an example of many BYers who have become far too content with UConn just making the FF.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Okay Coco. Show me an example of many BYers who have become far too content with UConn just making the FF.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The season really hangs on COVID-19. I'm going to enjoy every minute of whatever season we get, however far we get. I need UConn basketball like an astronaut needs air.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think our success depends on whoever can step up and be elite. That could well be Christyn and Olivia. It could also be Anna, Aubrey, Paige, Aaliyah, et al. Everyone need to play hard and smart.

Reaction Score
I think along the lines of this discussion, unless we have one of our top players earning an AA award (at least 3rd team), we do not reach the final 4 which leads me to the following question. Historically, how many teams have made a FF without an AA?
I think the reverse is true .. that is, if you make the FF they'll vote your best player as AA, eh?

Reaction Score
The season goes as the team goes. When 4 of the starters had at least 100 assists, the team was humming. Same this year. The more they're willing to sacrifice for each other, the further the Huskies will go.

Reaction Score
Actually my question was for any team. This was to get a sense of how important it is that one of our players has to reach that level.

I took coco's meaning to be UCONN only too. We're talking if / whoever can help UCONN get to a final four. I felt the same way he did so I took your post to mean UCONN only. I don't care about "Miss State" either. The importance for UCONN is that they have never done it without one. That's a pretty big importance. And more important / relevant imo that what "Miss State" did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think our success depends on whoever can step up and be elite. That could well be Christyn and Olivia. It could also be Anna, Aubrey, Paige, Aaliyah, et al. Everyone need to play hard and smart.

I'm usually a poster who thinks sometimes "size" gets overrated. However I recognize you need some of it. And some experience. If Liv is not effective, they aren't going far.

IMO Liv needs to be "good." There isn't a single other player that "needs" to be "good." Because on paper imo they can fill in any other spot. On paper I am hopeful that I think Edwards can play backup C. But I am very skeptical if Edwards can maintain playing at a high level at her "off-position" for significant minutes. And if Liv is mediocre - I can't imagine UCONN's defense will be worth much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom