Season Hangs On Olivia and Christyn | The Boneyard

Season Hangs On Olivia and Christyn

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
At least that's Alexa Philippou's point of view.

"Junior year? As Geno Auriemma said, "there is no, ‘my bad, we’ll get it next time.’ "

Rambling article with some Geno quotes. He's pleased with them. “Christyn and Liv, they’ve been exactly what we wanted them to be," Auriemma said. "They’ve been great.”

Poor Anna she's in the sophomore no mans land. Not to worry. She'll be doing great things.

Reaction Score
I suspect that they are not the keys to the season. My hunch is that the season depends on Paige, Aubrey, and Aaliyah Edwards. And perhaps Evina's knee.

I suspect that those players have the ability to achieve break-out greatness. They could take us to great heights. ONO, not so much.

Willing to be proven wrong. But I'm guessing that the secret to success lies elsewhere than that duo.....

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I suspect that they are not the keys to the season. My hunch is that the season depends on Paige, Aubrey, and Aaliyah Edwards. And perhaps Evina's knee.

I suspect that those players have the ability to achieve break-out greatness. They could take us to great heights. ONO, not so much.

Willing to be proven wrong. But I'm guessing that the secret to success lies elsewhere than that duo.....
Sort of agree... I don't think they get there on Liv's back... If the newcomers can spread the floor, though, she'll do her part.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sort of agree... I don't think they get there on Liv's back... If the newcomers can spread the floor, though, she'll do her part.
What/where is the "there"? Final Four, Championship, Championship game, undefeated season, Regional final?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think along the lines of this discussion, unless we have one of our top players earning an AA award (at least 3rd team), we do not reach the final 4 which leads me to the following question. Historically, how many teams have made a FF without an AA?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think along the lines of this discussion, unless we have one of our top players earning an AA award (at least 3rd team), we do not reach the final 4 which leads me to the following question. Historically, how many teams have made a FF without an AA?
i think the answer is Zero.

Reaction Score
i think the answer is Zero.

I was going to reply disagreeing but I assume you mean one of the three AA teams in which case you are very likely correct, especially in WCBB.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not a bad article. But not that great. Too many keys factors left out of the article.

What I read is the physical and mental maturation of two talented players beginning to show. Christyn And Liv will be fine. Will they lead they way? I believe so.

But they do not have to do it by themselves. This is were Alexa misses the boat. How Evina, Anna, Paige, Nika, Aubrey and Aaliyah perform will be crucial to the team's success.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In true form Anna and Nika get left out of these conversations...I mean even Evina's knee get's a mention but not Anna nor Nika. :rolleyes:
:eek: The conversation and the article centers around leadership from the upper class men. From the article "
"Junior year? As Geno Auriemma said, "there is no, ‘my bad, we’ll get it next time."
If that leadership, on court, off court or statistically has to come from Anna and Nika we are in for a long season. A mention of Evina's knee is relevant to the conversation because Evina can't provide on court leadership or put up numbers if she is not healthy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not a bad article. But not that great. Too many keys factors left out of the article.
What I read is the physical and mental maturation of two talented players beginning to show. Christyn And Liv will be fine. Will they lead they way? I believe so.
But they do not have to do it by themselves. This is were Alexa misses the boat. How Evina, Anna, Paige, Nika, Aubrey and Aaliyah perform will be crucial to the team's success.
I don't think she missed the boat at all. I think she nailed it. The opening paragraph sets the expectations for all UCONN WBB players by class without naming specific players. The focus (thesis) of the article is Christyn and ONO. Why? Because: "On a team with six freshmen, two sophomores and a transfer who has yet to suit up for the Huskies, they’re the most experienced players in Auriemma’s program."
This is SOP for UCONN WBB where upperclassmen are expected to carry the burden of leadership and are largely responsible for the fortunes of the team.
Last year that burden fell squarely on Crystal.
"Added Geno Auriemma: “It’s not like sophomore year we needed her (Crystal) to be great or we weren’t going anywhere. We really didn’t. But now, she has no choice.”

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

So I tried to do the research, but I can't seem to find a database of the AP All-American teams (I have one for WCBA...). I decided to start with 2000, thinking it would be easiest to find the info, but, alas...

However, it does look Rutgers did make the 2000 FF without an AA.

If anyone has a link for historical AP AA teams they want to share, I'll do the rest of the dirty work.

Reaction Score

I believe you're discounting ONO's value to this team. Without her in the middle they probably don't get to the FF. And that's just her defense. She is the linchpin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
:eek: The conversation and the article centers around leadership from the upper class men. From the article "
"Junior year? As Geno Auriemma said, "there is no, ‘my bad, we’ll get it next time."
If that leadership, on court, off court or statistically has to come from Anna and Nika we are in for a long season. A mention of Evina's knee is relevant to the conversation because Evina can't provide on court leadership or put up numbers if she is not healthy.

My reply was purely in jest of course, primarily piggy-backing onto Fairfield's post where he mentions the season depends on Paige, Aubrey and Aaliyah Edwards...where I come in with my post.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So I tried to do the research, but I can't seem to find a database of the AP All-American teams (I have one for WCBA...). I decided to start with 2000, thinking it would be easiest to find the info, but, alas...
However, it does look Rutgers did make the 2000 FF without an AA.
If anyone has a link for historical AP AA teams they want to share, I'll do the rest of the dirty work.
:eek: Rutgers? Who cares! I though we were strictly talking UCONN here! I believe a pair of teams Cal and Louisville made it to FF in 2013 without an AA.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Did not Mississippi St. make it to the FF without an AA?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
:eek: Rutgers? Who cares! I though we were strictly talking UCONN here! I believe a pair of teams Cal and Louisville made it to FF in 2013 without an AA.

LOL! I thought he was talking about teams from the history of forever, regardless of who they were, making it to the FF without an AA.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Fairfield, you’re reading my thoughts exactly!!! Two words I NEVER use in any of my comments is “we’re doomed“. If the success or failure of this team rests with ONO and Christyn, they’re in trouble. There is too much talent on this team to expect two players to carry the team on their backs.

This is 5X5, not 2x2. What happens if ONO and Christyn are playing well, and holding their man in check defensively, and the other 3 are getting beat like a drum on both ends of the court? You know how that game will turn out.

In my humble opinion, Paige, Aubrey, Anna, Evina, Aaliyah and Nika are going to have a say, and will have a huge impact on the outcome of this team’s success. ONO and Christyn cannot do it alone. They can lead the charge, but they’ll need backup.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Don't agree with the premise....
There is a huge amount of talent on the premises.
How they all interact, perform and develop is a tale yet to be told.

I expect a myriad of surprises (mostly pleasant).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Actually my question was for any team. This was to get a sense of how important it is that one of our players has to reach that level.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yesterday I watched the replays of last season's AAC Conference Championship Semifinal and Final games. (And a tear came to my eye watching Kyla's terrible injury.:() One thing I noticed was on how many offensive possessions Liv would be down low, moving with her arm outstretched, wanting the ball. She didn't get the ball all that much, which was fine because we were still making a high percentage of our shots. I am hoping that this season the other players can feed her the ball more often and she becomes much more dominant.

Reaction Score
:eek:...If that leadership, on court, off court or statistically has to come from Anna and Nika we are in for a long season.

Well, "in for a long season" can be taken both negatively and positively. :) Based on what we've actually seen to date, I'm a long way from being convinced that Liv, Christyn, or a combination of the two can lead us to the promised land. This is a team that must come together and play unselfishly with a common goal of winning it all regardless of who shines in the box score. If they can do that, there definitely appears to be enough talent on this squad to go all the way. Personally I believe Anna will play a big role in achieving that goal. Can't speak to what Nika's role might be, because like most (if not all) of us here we've only seen her in highlight videos.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom