Sean Lewis - Kent State University | The Boneyard

Sean Lewis - Kent State University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
34 years old, up and comer. Bigger job is in his future. Kent State has been nowhere for 50 years, but he’s turned that program around, and every player on the field tonight against Texas A&M looks better than any player UCONN put on the field against Holy Cross.

Reaction Score
34 years old, up and comer. Bigger job is in his future. Kent State has been nowhere for 50 years, but he’s turned that program around, and every player on the field tonight against Texas A&M looks better than any player UCONN put on the field against Holy Cross.
He’s an under .500 Head Coach no way. Not yet at least we need to see more of him. He went 3-1 in a down year due to Covid. This is what we shouldn’t do is throw money around like we did with the last three hires. We need to be very careful and smart hiring the next coach IF Edsall gets fired

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
He’s an under .500 Head Coach no way. Not yet at least we need to see more of him. He went 3-1 in a down year due to Covid. This is what we shouldn’t do is throw money around like we did with the last three hires. We need to be very careful and smart hiring the next coach IF Edsall gets fired
WHEN.

Reaction Score
This is a joke right? Have you not looked at the progress this guy has made at that program. They are on pace to win the MAC. He will be looked at for ACC open positions, probably Big 10 too.

So let's recap the last 3 hires...

PP - out of college coaching for 6 years before he took the job. Good NFL coach that didn't care about recruiting and didn't understand how the college game had changed.

BD - Broyles award winner, coordinator. Didn't understand how to recruit for the whole team. Sweet talking snake oil salesman. Genuinely think we got duped on this one.

RE2 - retread that's a solid recruiter but cannot coach a lick. Epic failure all around this time. Should never have been hired after how things ended last time.

So how is Lewis different than the previous 3 coaches? He is currently a head coach in a program that he is building up to be competitive in a solid G5 conference. Former OC/QB coach that is young should have a solid understanding of how to build a competitive offense and should understand how to coach up a quarterback.

If Kent State wins the MAC he is gone. The only way we have a real shot at him is if the openings are few and far between.

Reaction Score
This is a joke right? Have you not looked at the progress this guy has made at that program. They are on pace to win the MAC. He will be looked at for ACC open positions, probably Big 10 too.

PP - out of college coaching for 6 years before he took the job. Good NFL coach that didn't care about recruiting and didn't understand how the college game had changed.

BD - Broyles award winner, coordinator. Didn't understand how to recruit for the whole team. Sweet talking snake oil salesman. Genuinely think we got duped on this one.

RE2 - retread that's a solid recruiter but cannot coach a lick. Epic failure all around this time. Should never have been hired after how things ended last time.

So how is Lewis different than the previous 3 coaches? He is currently a head coach in a program that he is building up to be competitive in a solid G5 conference. Former OC/QB coach that is young should have a solid understanding of how to build a competitive offense and should understand how to coach up a quarterback.

If Kent State wins the MAC he is gone. The only way we have a real shot at him is if the openings are few and far between.
No this is not a joke. If you find it funny go ahead and enjoy. I was never ok with any of the last three hires we made. It was stupid decisions made by the ADs, so I don’t know what your argument is. However, Sean Lewis’s Head Coaching record is 12-18 that’s not a joke that’s a fact. Look it up. He’s 0-1 this year already yet he’s on pace to win the MAC this year? You must be a troll. Does he have a bright future ahead of him? Who knows it’s still early in his coaching career and that my argument. We hired three pathetic coaches in a roll and you want to hire a guy who has a losing record so far as a HC.

Reaction Score

There are folks here who think college football is a video game. Because they can take a program that has not historically succeeded and win, they think real college football (and basketball) is like that. Programs have limitations and disadvantages. Coaches should be judged by how they do at a particular program, rather than just wins and losses. I don't follow this guy at all, but Kent State has sucked since the 70s when a guy named Greg Kokal was the QB (and they sucked before him as well). Winning at Kent State is like winning at Kansas or Miss State. It tells you a lot more than how many games someone wins at Ohio State and Florida (and Urban Meyer was as much a great coach for what he achieved before getting to Florida as he was afterwards).

Reaction Score
No this is not a joke. If you find it funny go ahead and enjoy. I was never ok with any of the last three hires we made. It was stupid decisions made by the ADs, so I don’t know what your argument is. However, Sean Lewis’s Head Coaching record is 12-18 that’s not a joke that’s a fact. Look it up. He’s 0-1 this year already yet he’s on pace to win the MAC this year? You must be a troll. Does he have a bright future ahead of him? Who knows it’s still early in his coaching career and that my argument. We hired three pathetic coaches in a roll and you want to hire a guy who has a losing record so far as a HC.

Ok, I understand now. You looked at his overall coaching record and saw that they lost to Texas A&M and just stopped reading ok. So let's lay it out there.

He took a historically bad team that had not back to back winning seasons since the 70s. A team that had not won more than 4 games since a blip in 2012 and turned them around in 2 years.

Yes, they lost a game to an SEC opponent. Not a team from the MAC. This guy is going to get hired someone in the ACC or Big10. UConn doesn't even have a chance with him.

We can dream, but it won't happen. But go ahead and pull the wool over your eyes. Everyone agrees the last 3 we're terrible hires.

So let's hear who you want.

Reaction Score
Ok, I understand now. You looked at his overall coaching record and saw that they lost to Texas A&M and just stopped reading ok. So let's lay it out there.

He took a historically bad team that had not back to back winning seasons since the 70s. A team that had not won more than 4 games since a blip in 2012 and turned them around in 2 years.

Yes, they lost a game to an SEC opponent. Not a team from the MAC. This guy is going to get hired someone in the ACC or Big10. UConn doesn't even have a chance with him.

We can dream, but it won't happen. But go ahead and pull the wool over your eyes. Everyone agrees the last 3 we're terrible hires.

So let's hear who you want.
Smh… pull the wool over my eyes lol 12-18 record and we don’t have a shot at him cause he’s going to land in the Big 10 or ACC? Smh maybe one day, but one thing I do know he still needs more time to prove himself than a 12-18 record. You’re acting like he’s a proven coach and he’s not. If he wins the MAC this year he’ll create a buzz for himself and I would gladly welcome him here, but he only had one good year, just ONE (7-6) and for me I need to see more. That’s all. He may have a bright future but presently not so much.

Joe Moorhead
Matt Entz ( 23-3 record )

I do like Babers, Keeler, Chesney, and Sean Lewis, but again Lewis just needs to show me a little more

Reaction Score
I think his ability to put a premium on winning while navigating COVID19 restrictions is a good sign, not a negative.

Reaction Score
Probably needs more experience given the task but I like his style.

1631193952002.png

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If he would consider the possibility of spending the next half of his life in New England I would love this hire. For openers, he brought Kent St to their first back to back winning seasons in four decades (think about that). Additionally, he should have some pretty good recruiting ties in Ohio (a state I've always felt we could do better in than we have).

We could do a whole lot worse than him.

Reaction Score
Criteria for me:

1) motivator with a serious amount of energy
2) young, offensive minded style
3) accustomed to winning wherever he goes
4). Impatient for success
5.) will challenge the school to think bigger and will layout a definitive vision - top 50 in 3 years, top 20 in 5, and P5 level
6.). Wiling to remake the team ground up with portal acquisitions
7 ) sets a team personality

Reaction Score
I will say Kent State was regularly getting blown out in the MAC before this guy. Like 63-7 most games. So despite his record he has done a great job.

Reaction Score
The overall record (12-18) is somewhat deceiving, in that 7 of the losses have occurred in Kent State pay-day games against Big 10, SEC and PAC-12 competition. In fact when adding in an expected loss to Iowa in two weeks many of the pay day losses will be to teams ranked in the Top 10. Also, waiting around for a coach like this means he’ll be gone before you blink. He was up for the Illinois job last December, but the Illini went with the safe choice and opted for Bret Bielema, formerly of Wisconsin and Arkansas. I’m willing to bet that 5 years from now Illini fans will regret the AD going with the safe choice and not giving coach Lewis the opportunity.

Reaction Score
1st Place Kent State MAC East takes on 1st Place Northern Illinois MAC West on ESPN2 tonight. Chance to see what Coach Lewis and the KSU Fast Flashes look like in action.

Reaction Score
Seeing what Dave Clawson has done at Wake Forest provides a similar blueprint. I like it - a much better option than a Holtz or Golden.
I’d take Clawson over Lewis, but Lewis wouldn’t be a bad 2nd choice and much cheaper to hire.

Reaction Score
Seeing what Dave Clawson has done at Wake Forest provides a similar blueprint. I like it - a much better option than a Holtz or Golden.
Golden isn't a sexy hire, but he'd right the ship. He's most likely out because his name is coming up for NFL DC jobs. I personally would be pretty excited if Lewis came to UConn. I'm still hoping for Moorhead, but Lewis should be a top candidate as well.

Reaction Score
1st Place Kent State MAC East takes on 1st Place Northern Illinois MAC West on ESPN2 tonight. Chance to see what Coach Lewis and the KSU Fast Flashes look like in action.

What is he making?

Reaction Score
460k, will be up to 500k in a couple years if he decided to stay. Recently signed an extension through 2025.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
So....who knows if he would be interested, but after doing a quick Google search he sounds like a perfect candidate.

Successful head coaching experience in a tough environment. And...I love that he has an offensive mind set.

I feel this type of candidate would be better than the Golden/Holtz route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom