SCSU Highlights (from Storrs South on Twitter) | The Boneyard

SCSU Highlights (from Storrs South on Twitter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can't glean too much from an exhibition and highlights but team looks unselfish and versatile. Larrier looks smooth and explosive and Gilbert always seems to be looking ahead for the pass. If we can defensive rebound well we will be excellent in transition.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If this team can be confident, have great chemistry, and aren't intimidated they're going to be a problem this year

Reaction Score
Can't glean too much from an exhibition and highlights but team looks unselfish and versatile. Larrier looks smooth and explosive and Gilbert always seems to be looking ahead for the pass. If we can defensive rebound well we will be excellent in transition.

This.

There are probably about 300 fan bases in America talking about how good they look after the exhibition season, but one thing that seems obvious with this group is how good they are going to be in the open floor. Gilbert, Adams, Purvis, Larrier...my God, those guys were meant for that brand of ball.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
After two exhibition games a few things stand out.

This is a fast team. Maybe the fastest UConn has had sine 04-06 time frame. Neither Gibbs or Hamilton were above average for speed whereas both Gilbert and Larrier are explosive and fast.

Team seems unselfish and looks to pass. Bigs like to crash the hoop on the offensive side of the ball and are actually looking for passes from the guards and wings. Not nearly as many passes bouncing off bigs' hands near the hoop.

Transition off of turnovers is strong.

This looks like a much more traditional UConn team.

Reaction Score
Loved that. Thankful for what DHam brought to this team, but not gonna miss his 29" max vert on the break. So nice to be able to throw it up to a wing and have him slam it home.
I loved that, too, but I was actually referring to the offensive set we ran starting at 3:14 on the highlight package that ended up with Purvis getting a wide open corner 3. It's called "The Hammer," and it's directly ripped off from the Spurs (who ripped it off from the Nash-era Suns):

This shows me a few things:

1. Ollie is teaching Adams how to be an NBA point guard. He's doing the kid right
2. Ollie is taking advantage of Enoch's ability to set big, space-clogging screens
3. Ollie is incorporating more plays to get Purvis shots off of actual off-the-ball action rather than drive-and-kick from the PGs

It's an absolutely gorgeous, unstoppable play when run correctly and with the correct personnel. Given Adams's ability to get separation from his defender and force strong-side help, given Purvis's very good-to-excellent three-point shooting, and given that college kids don't know about defending on the weak side, I'm practically giddy that this is in our playbook.

Reaction Score
I loved that, too, but I was actually referring to the offensive set we ran starting at 3:14 on the highlight package that ended up with Purvis getting a wide open corner 3. It's called "The Hammer," and it's directly ripped off from the Spurs (who ripped it off from the Nash-era Suns):

This shows me a few things:

1. Ollie is teaching Adams how to be an NBA point guard. He's doing the kid right
2. Ollie is taking advantage of Enoch's ability to set big, space-clogging screens
3. Ollie is incorporating more plays to get Purvis shots off of actual off-the-ball action rather than drive-and-kick from the PGs

It's an absolutely gorgeous, unstoppable play when run correctly and with the correct personnel. Given Adams's ability to get separation from his defender and force strong-side help, given Purvis's very good-to-excellent three-point shooting, and given that college kids don't know about defending on the weak side, I'm practically giddy that this is in our playbook.

Awesome. Thanks for the explanation and breakdown.

Reaction Score
Can't run if you don't rebound.

I was thinking more in terms of points off turnovers, but point taken. Rebounding is one of two areas (shooting being the other) of great concern heading into the season.

Reaction Score
The "stop, pop and drop" as Joe D put it by Larrier was a pro move.
That was such a fluid and beautiful move. Almost made my jaw drop, wasn't expecting it at all

Reaction Score
Can't run if you don't rebound.

Yeah 16 offensive rebounds against SCSU isn't acceptable. Not throwing a debbie downer on the positives of this exhibition but the truth is they won't win a lot of games allowing those kind of numbers against better teams. The other is 19 TO's, they need to tighten these things up in order to do what they do best - run run run.

Reaction Score
Oh my goodness that hammer play at 3:19... gorgeous.

Would be better if Enoch actually screened someone.

We ran that a bunch for Giffey in 2014. It was ollie's go to play out of timeouts.

Reaction Score
Yeah 16 offensive rebounds against SCSU isn't acceptable. Not throwing a debbie downer on the positives of this exhibition but the truth is they won't win a lot of games allowing those kind of numbers against better teams. The other is 19 TO's, they need to tighten these things up in order to do what they do best - run run run.
We have to run, we are built for it and can go on big runs but I'm a bit concerned with our outside shooting. Ultimately our success is based on defense which rebounding is a part of. KO always hangs his hat on it.

Reaction Score
I've been saying it for the last 6 Months, some of you agreed with me, some of you not so much.....

Larrier is the guy to put this squad over the top this year and will be the most influential part of a deep run come March.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
I know we were playing a much smaller team but I was impressed by our inside game and ability/willingness to feed the bigs. Brimah, Enoch and Facey all had some nice back to the basket plays. With that said, I am less worried about Diarras absence and I think we definitely have the ability to play small ball and stretch the D with Larrier at 3 and Vance at 4. Larrier was impressive on the fast break; I always love when we can get on the defensive boards and get on the run for easy buckets, but our set plays looked good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom