Scrimmages next year | The Boneyard

Scrimmages next year

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Yes, I know I could have added this to another topic, but I was afraid it would get lost. I had this brain storm. Who is the toughest team UConn will face next year? Themselves? Here's what I would do. Pick two even teams, and have a scrimmage, with real refs, so it's as close to a real game as possible. Do this on a regular basis. Not against the boys, because of the built in excuse if they lose. But give a big reward to the winners. And Geno coach one team, CD the other. Talk about incentive.

I know Geno likes the first string to play together. But I would think playing against strong competition would be better. Think about it. ONO against Edwards. ONO would have to improve to survive.

Of course, there is always the risk of injury, but that's true of any practice. But they need top notch competition. Who better than themselves?

Reaction Score
The Big East will much improved next season so that will help..Oh wait I forgot to take my meds this morning..Scratch that thought..my bad...
You Crazy GIF by Steve Harvey TV

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The Big East will much improved next season so that will help..Oh wait I forgot to take my meds this morning..Scratch that thought..my bad...
Actually Marquette is bringing back their seniors and picked up a good transfer as well - not sure what happened to DePaul done the stretch, but they are always around and there are a few other teams that may get stronger. It is what it is but I think it should get better.

Was looking at the conference all time winning percentages in the tournament prior to this year:
AAC is #1, SEC is #2, and the BE is #3 of conferences currently in existence. In the last 20 years I suspect the order would be AAC, BE, SEC.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Actually Marquette is bringing back their seniors and picked up a good transfer as well - not sure what happened to DePaul done the stretch, but they are always around and there are a few other teams that may get stronger. It is what it is but I think it should get better.

Was looking at the conference all time winning percentages in the tournament prior to this year:
AAC is #1, SEC is #2, and the BE is #3 or conferences currently in existence. In the last 20 years I suspect the order would be AAC, BE, SEC.
Selena Lott committed to the WNBA, I believe. Big loss for Marquette.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think South Carolina is the very few team can challenge UConn next season since they have 3 top 10 freshmen coming 2021.
Per ESPN. But if you look at the composite rankings, they have one kid in the top 5, one about 10 or 11, one about 15 and one about 20. A great class, but not at UCONN's caliber unless you are ESPN Hoopgurlz. Then it's the top class. But there are no less than 5 other services who say something different.

Reaction Score

AAC is #1, SEC is #2, and the BE is #3 of conferences currently in existence. In the last 20 years I suspect the order would be AAC, BE, SEC.
Marquette...lol....good one. will keep an eye on the golden eagles...
just for laughs what GIF

Reaction Score
Dang. I would love to attend a practice session next year. Just to see who is the one doing all the trash talking, besides the coaching staff :);)

Reaction Score
Dang. I would love to attend a practice session next year. Just to see who is the one doing all the trash talking, besides the coaching staff :);)
I miss the random summer post about a day of scrimmages in Gample. I go all the way back to the AOL board and that was always a great summer gift, even when half of what would be written never materialized.

Reaction Score
Per ESPN. But if you look at the composite rankings, they have one kid in the top 5, one about 10 or 11, one about 15 and one about 20. A great class, but not at UCONN's caliber unless you are ESPN Hoopgurlz. Then it's the top class. But there are no less than 5 other services who say something different.
the rankings often are deceiving as we have seen time after time..........any idea what Ari McDonald's Hoopgurlz ranking was? 55.......the 15th ranked point guard in her class......

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
AOL? What century was that...
I was friends with the CEO of Prodigy. To use Prodigy, you had to buy a $24.95 1600 baud modem. AOL put Prodigy out of business by offering a free modem. Of course, you could never cancel AOL. That was all last century.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, I know I could have added this to another topic, but I was afraid it would get lost. I had this brain storm. Who is the toughest team UConn will face next year? Themselves?
No. Stanford and S. Carolina are going to have very good teams. They will be tough to beat.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
No. Stanford and S. Carolina are going to have very good teams. They will be tough to beat.
True, but you are talking about ONE game, maybe two. I'm talking about every day, or once a week. I think the 21 Big East games they are forced to play might give them a false sense of how good they are.

ETA: after rereading your response, yes, I agree, a few teams will be very tough. So, I am talking about preparation to play those teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The BE probably will be much improved: Seton Hall with AEH returning and the addition of Sidney Cooks from Miss St, Marquette with their recruiting class and some of the seniors deciding to take advantage of the extra year, and Villanova (sp?) should also be improved.

Reaction Score
going by ESPN, which I know is bad, the only other Big East team with a top 100 is Marquette with #55. They show that as Marquette's only recruit, and they show no recruits for DePaul or Seton Hall. Do most Big East schools not announce their recruits. Or not until they see who gets in and accepts? Seems strange. any other services show Big East recruits?

Reaction Score
Fun to think about these 5x5 matchups.

PB - NM
- CW
EW-CD
AG-AE
ONO-AD

Piath, Mir, Saylor, Autumn as the talented reserves.

Reaction Score
True, but you are talking about ONE game, maybe two. I'm talking about every day, or once a week. I think the 21 Big East games they are forced to play might give them a false sense of how good they are.

ETA: after rereading your response, yes, I agree, a few teams will be very tough. So, I am talking about preparation to play those teams.
UConn is not "forced to play" the Big East teams, it's a requirement to be in the Big East. I wish some would give the Big East teams/conference a break.

A known fact, while UConn was languishing in the AAC, the Big East for the last three years (not counting this past season) have had the 6th ranked conference RPI after the P5 conferences...without UConn. So, maybe someone(s) out there can explain, how did the Big East receive the 6th RPI rank when "they play in 'lowly' the Big East"? Could it be some of the Big East teams do play tougher OOC schedules?

1617982042097.png

Reaction Score
Maybe they should do what the football team does. Have a Blue and White game. They team that wins gets a steak dinner and the team that loses gets hot dogs and beans.

Reaction Score
I wonder if scrimmages might be a reason for say a marginal pro prospect to transfer here, despite the probability of fewer minutes. For hypothetical reasons someone like Dorka at Ohio State for example. Why would a starter getting good productive minutes come to a program where they might be coming off the bench?

Maybe it could be the competition you get everyday in practice and the coaching makes you a better pro prospect. Somebody like Dorka gets to face Hillman and others occasionally that are good challenging experiences, but here she could go against Liv, Amari, Aaliyah and Piath all the time, and get a year or two of Geno's coaching.

I was amazed that Evelyn Adebayo got a foreign contract despite no meaningful game minutes here. She put up numbers in a bad program, came here, said it was a good experience despite her playing time, and somehow got a pro contract out of it. Piath potentially could look at it that way. Playing time may not be in her future here, but is it possible her development would be better practicing against top talent, than starting for a mid level program that only faces a few players her size or athletic ability a year? Maybe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom