Scrimmage at the Rent today? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Scrimmage at the Rent today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We hope that's true. But it really remains to be seen, no? It remains a scary possibility that Edsall has nothing in common with the other two.
As we currently stand, it is absolutely true. Pasqualoni has been a loser since 2011 and certainly was at UConn. He even lost his job with the Bears and is now with the Texans. I just hope for their sake, he doesn't pollute JJ. Watt and Vincent Wilfolk with his sucky suckiness suckattude. Hopefully their raw talent can overcome it.

At the very least, Diaco wins waking up. He wins breakfast. he wins getting dressed. He wins NLI signing day videos and he wins press conferences.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
We hope that's true. But it really remains to be seen, no? It remains a scary possibility that Edsall has nothing in common with the other two.

Lower leg injury?

Reaction Score
It's really annoying to read comments about how the defense crushed the offense and that means the team will suck. There's no team in the country that scrimmaged and had both the offense and defense look great. it's a zero sum game for the most part.

You are more than welcome to disagree. The conflict on this board seems to be between people who use evidence to base their opinions on and those who deal in faith and hope. Nothing wrong with either but people seem to get their panties in a bunch when they read opinions that differ than their own.

People can have their own opinions about me as a poster, but I spent years here defending Edsall and the program from people who continually wanted to minimize the program's accomplishments. I hope to God I'm wrong about Diaco and this season. We'll know more in about 3 months.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Edsall and Diaco have nothing in common with Pasqualoni.
They all have the letter A in their first name...
rAndy
pAul
richArd
:eek:

Reaction Score
Sportsman

We had something like the 121st ranked offense in the country last year. Now we read that the offense wasn't very good in a scrimmage. Except for a 3 game stretch at the end of 2013 the offense has been very bad for the last 4 years. Given that as a baseline, I find it hard to feel confident that all may yet be well and that the only problem is that our defense is very good. It might have to be perfect if the o doesn't make significant progress.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Bob's first name is Richard or are you being cute?
Extra funny because they all have an A in their last name so he didn't even have to go through all that trouble of trying to figure out what Bob is short for.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It isn't so much the defense outplayed the offense.

It's the same garbage we've seen for years. Back to back delay of game penalties? Almost having three field goals blocked?

The levels of scoring across the country are at insane levels and UConn can't snap the ball.

The OC has no track record as an OC and the first OC the HC hired lasted one dismal season.

Throw in a mobile QB with a pourous line and seemingly nothing anywhere near ready to go behind your starter.... sorry I'm not going on faith - they need to actually perform.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They all have the letter A in their first name...
rAndy
pAul
richArd
:eek:
Well I suppose that they do all spell their names with letters, but I assume that Coach Diaco's Christian name is Robert. I don't see an "A" there.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I have to admit that I was disappointed that UConn didn't hire an offensive minded coach. It was especially frustrating when 3 AAC teams hire top OCs to become head coaches this past year. I felt the team needed to have a fun to watch product on the field to get fan interest stirred up again. Before any of the "cold weather in the NE prohibits throwing the ball" comments show up on here, there are plenty of MAC schools who make it work. Weather only impacts a few games anyway.

But...I am hopeful that BD has the right energy to make the team fun to watch. I worry that his D is bend don't break (again, not too exciting), but wins and good kids will make the team popular again.

I don't think the scrimmage last week meant anything. I will wait to see them play Nova before passing judgement. As I have said before...I am cautiously optimistic.

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I was disappointed that UConn didn't hire an offensive minded coach. It was especially frustrating when 3 AAC teams hire top OCs to become head coaches this past year. I felt the team needed to have a fun to watch product on the field to get fan interest stirred up again. Before any of the "cold weather in the NE prohibits throwing the ball" comments show up on here, there are plenty of MAC schools who make it work. Weather only impacts a few games anyway.

But...I am hopeful that BD has the right energy to make the team fun to watch. I worry that his D is bend don't break (again, not too exciting), but wins and good kids will make the team popular again.

I don't think the scrimmage last week meant anything. I will wait to see them play Nova before passing judgement. As I have said before...I am cautiously optimistic.
I agree, but like everything else UConn does with football, you just face palm, shrug, and move on. I hope to hell Diaco succeeds, and he was an impressive hire, but damn the offensive game planning was brutal to watch last year. Here's to hoping were better this year.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Well I suppose that they do all spell their names with letters, but I assume that Coach Diaco's Christian name is Robert. I don't see an "A" there.
robArt??:rolleyes:
Obviously I lost my mind again...damn multitasking...

They are all East Coast connected coaches who played D1 football...I knew I could find something if I looked hard enough....

Reaction Score
I'm all for calling a spade a spade and using an evidence-based appraoch to evaluating the program, but freaking out over the first summer scrimmage is just hilarious.

Sadly, we will have no idea how this season is gonna go until we start playing live football against Villanova. I am hoping. But I am prepared to drink enough to be wrong.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Anyone who thought the offensive line would come together quickly was either dreaming or doesn't understand what it takes to reach the necessary level of coordination/familiarity to succeed there even if all players are at a competent level. Add to this equation that we lost our (projected) starting center and have a LT who appears to be far more suited to play RT and a RT who is still learning the game, this year will have quite a few ups and downs in terms of offensive line play. If we were three or four more years into building this it would be far easier to overcome the loss of one starter but considering where we are at the moment, the kids up front will need to take a few lumps before we can expect a whole lot of consistency.

I try not to bad mouth any members of the roster and I doubt that it is due to lack of effort but it is amazing when I think about how people (some cyber journalists, some posters on this board) were gushing over the 'uptick' in our recruiting when we brought in the likes of Rugg and Shaffenacker under P yet somehow these highly praised recruits can't seem to crack the two-deep.

I've been cautious in my expectations as I am very confident about what we can put on the field for most positions (I believe we will be as good as anyone in the conference at those) but I have clue as to how good our offensive line play and QB play will be. Until we can expect sustained quality performances here we will have a difficult time. We'll need to be patient enough to allow these vital positions to develop.

Reaction Score
Of btw those of you who are still holding a candle for Boyle to lead us to the promise land, did anyone look at his stats from Saturday? He completed as many to the defense as to his guys and had another pick-6. Ok X-men. Let the excuses roll.

One went off the hands of Ron J. eminently catchable and was returned for a TD (50 yards). Why does any Boyle success offend you? Did his mom turn you down as a prom date. Why can we just want all our players to get better. It's a long season and QB's at UConn often get hurt. Even if he is the back up we will probably need him to continue to get better. Get a new water board victim!

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Agree we've always needed a stronger offensive coach here, and hoping that Verucci is that man.

Also, us BY'ers should have gotten together and just showed up in droves at The Rent Saturday at noon, tailgated behind the scoreboard in the west end zone so we could have watched practice. If there were enough of us they probably wouldn't have kicked us out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom