Scouts | The Boneyard

Scouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First off, let me just say... WOW. I LOVE THIS TEAM AND I LOVE SHABAZZ NAPIER.

Okay. There were about 25 different scouts there tonight with about 19 different teams. So I thought I'd share a little story. I was in the front row of the student section directly behind scouts for the Utah Jazz, Houston Rockets, and LA Lakers (Jazz in particular.) I managed to snap this shot of his notes right before the game had started:

ScoutNotes.jpeg

Now as the game went on, he added a few players including Amida and a few players from Florida (Patric Young, etc..) I was surprised to see KFace this early, and Ty on there!

He seemed to focus more on UConn players though. I kept on telling him he might want to add Niels Giffey to that list but I don't think he gave me a reaction the entire night :)

Throughout the game me and a couple of the people around me would try and take a peek at his notes to see what they said. Most players had about 1 or 2 lines of notes about them late in the game besides Patric Young and Bazz. DeAndre had some nice things written about him although to be honest it was really hard to gather a full statement without breathing down the guy's neck.

Bazz however, had at least 6 lines of full notes written out. Some of the things included: High basketball IQ, can hit big shots when needed, can create his own shot off of the dribble... If I asked my friend he could probably tell me more, but it's nice to see him getting a lot of recognition from scouts even if this stuff seems pretty basic about Bazz to us Boneyarders.

As the game went on, whenever Bazz, or any other UConn NBA potential bodies would do something well, I would let him know about it and tell him to jot it down :p Kept letting him know the Bazz is the best PG in the country and he's seeing why first hand.

When Bazz hit the game winner and everything had calmed down after all of the interviews, I leaned over to him and said "Yeah... you might want to jot down that last shot." The Houston scout next to him laughed.

I didn't get a chance to get a snapshot of his late game notes for pretty obvious reasons. Wasn't about to whip out my phone with that intensity going on.

Was I being annoying? Probably. Was it fun? Abso-duck*ing-lutely.

8-0. Lets go Huskies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Was at Dog Lane Cafe a couple hours before the game and saw Danny Ainge walk in. He actually ended up sitting right next to us so I got a chance to listen in. After talking a bunch about Keith Bogans and some guy who ended up overseas that he liked, he talked a bit about Aaron Craft and Shabazz. Thought the matchup between Shabazz and Wilbekin would be a good one. Didn't hear him mention any other UConn guys though, I'm sure he was also interested in Young and Prather.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Whatever round Bazz goes in won't matter. The kid will stick in the NBA. He has 'it'.

Reaction Score
No Boatright? Hmm, interesting. Looks like he might have to come back next year.

Interesting observation if true, that the scout had little interest in Boat. That fits with what we've see/heard about mock drafts, where Boat didn't even sniff the second round. It's tough as a 5'10 shooting guard. Like Boat himself said, NBA teams are shying away from the Allen Iverson model of guard.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Olander if prob on there just because he's a senior I assume.

Anyone who's got more knowledge on the subject, what are Tyler's options going forward?

D league? Europe?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When Bazz hit the game winner and everything had calmed down after all of the interviews, I leaned over to him and said "Yeah... you might want to jot down that last shot." The Houston scout next to him laughed.

lol. Classic! Well played FTD!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
First off, let me just say... WOW. I LOVE THIS TEAM AND I LOVE SHABAZZ NAPIER.

Okay. There were about 25 different scouts there tonight with about 19 different teams. So I thought I'd share a little story. I was in the front row of the student section directly behind scouts for the Utah Jazz, Houston Rockets, and LA Lakers (Jazz in particular.) I managed to snap this shot of his notes right before the game had started:

View attachment 4361

Now as the game went on, he added a few players including Amida and a few players from Florida (Patric Young, etc..) I was surprised to see KFace this early, and Ty on there!

He seemed to focus more on UConn players though. I kept on telling him he might want to add Niels Giffey to that list but I don't think he gave me a reaction the entire night :)

Throughout the game me and a couple of the people around me would try and take a peek at his notes to see what they said. Most players had about 1 or 2 lines of notes about them late in the game besides Patric Young and Bazz. DeAndre had some nice things written about him although to be honest it was really hard to gather a full statement without breathing down the guy's neck.

Bazz however, had at least 6 lines of full notes written out. Some of the things included: High basketball IQ, can hit big shots when needed, can create his own shot off of the dribble... If I asked my friend he could probably tell me more, but it's nice to see him getting a lot of recognition from scouts even if this stuff seems pretty basic about Bazz to us Boneyarders.

As the game went on, whenever Bazz, or any other UConn NBA potential bodies would do something well, I would let him know about it and tell him to jot it down :p Kept letting him know the Bazz is the best PG in the country and he's seeing why first hand.

I didn't get a chance to get a snapshot of his late game notes for pretty obvious reasons. Wasn't about to whip out my phone with that intensity going on.

Was I being annoying? Probably. Was it fun? Abso-f* *ing-lutely.

8-0. Lets go Huskies.
Geezus thats all he said about Shabazz? He could have got that much listening to Bruce Pearl at halftime on the way to the pisser

Reaction Score
Danny Ainge is gonna take him with the Celtics' second pick in the first round (either Brooklyn's or Atlanta's pick). He'll be close to home, and I'll be able to watch him jump start our rebuilding process here in Boston under Brad Stevens.

Watch it happen!!

Reaction Score
I could see Giffey get drafted by the Spurs in the 2nd round

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Niels proved over the summer he can hang with pros if he's aggressive enough.

Reaction Score
Interesting observation if true, that the scout had little interest in Boat. That fits with what we've see/heard about mock drafts, where Boat didn't even sniff the second round. It's tough as a 5'10 shooting guard. Like Boat himself said, NBA teams are shying away from the Allen Iverson model of guard.

It could also be that notepads have more than one sheet of paper in them. Page two might have Boat, Giffey, Brimah, Kromah and Samuel. All 10 guys on one sheet wouldn't leave a lot of room for notes.

Reaction Score
I could see Giffey get drafted by the Spurs in the 2nd round
I bet alot of scouts left impressed. Dudes shooting 70% from three and it isn't a fluke. He shoots well anywhere; on any court at any spot.

Reaction Score
Olander if prob on there just because he's a senior I assume.

Anyone who's got more knowledge on the subject, what are Tyler's options going forward?

D league? Europe?

I still believe he can break out any day now. I never lost faith in Tyler though I will admit my optimism has declined a bit this year

Reaction Score
It could also be that notepads have more than one sheet of paper in them. Page two might have Boat, Giffey, Brimah, Kromah and Samuel. All 10 guys on one sheet wouldn't leave a lot of room for notes.
I'd agree with this, but it seemed like he was flipping back and forth between two pages; one for UConn, one for Florida. He seemed to focus on UConn besides Patric Young.

Reaction Score
Boat is playing like he's resigned to stay on all four years. He takes what's there and is not forcing his game.

Reaction Score
Boat is playing like he's resigned to stay on all four years. He takes what's there and is not forcing his game.
He should watch the Marcus Smart interview on why he returned. And unlike Boat, Smart is NBA ready.

Reaction Score
Bazz goes late first, Niels goes mid to late second(as a european stash, no risk), boat is undraftable at this point.

pj

Reaction Score

That's what he has to do to make the NBA. He has to become efficient, take high percentage shots and raise his shooting percentage, feed his teammates, manage the game. He has to become more Bazz-like.

Reaction Score
That's what he has to do to make the NBA. He has to become efficient, take high percentage shots and raise his shooting percentage, feed his teammates, manage the game. He has to become more Bazz-like.

In short, this ("becom[ing] more Bazz-like") is what we were expecting from Boat, and we've been a little disappointed he hasn't quite gotten there. His improvement has been in merely getting rid of some of the negative aspects of his game, but without really adding much positive.

He seems less turnover-prone, but not appreciably more able to those opportunities into assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom