Scouting UMES | The Boneyard

Scouting UMES

Reaction Score
They're bad. So why are they worth scouting?

They're small. See below:

1638127965830.png

Their tallest player is 6'7 and 47% of the time, their 5 is 6'5 225.

Why does this matter?

PLAY SMALL!

Why is this important?

Let the young guards and wings loose. Minimal minutes for Sanogo, Whaley, Akok, Cole and Martin. Lots of minutes for Hawkins on the wing and Gaffney at the point. Free Diggins! Great opportunity to get other players to handle the rock.

On Saturday, their game against Grambling is against a much more traditionally sized team, so that allows a tune up for the bigs:

1638128413949.png

On Tuesday, rest the bigs & Cole/Martin, let the guards fly and help develop some more confidence handling the ball!

If I'm DH, after a "regular" starting lineup, I'd go heavy on the below lineup:

Diggins, Gaffney, Hawkins, Jackson, Johnson/Springs

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score

View attachment 71423

Why does this matter?

PLAY SMALL!

Why is this important?

Let the young guards and wings loose. Minimal minutes for Sanogo, Whaley, Akok, Cole and Martin. Lots of minutes for Hawkins on the wing and Gaffney at the point. Free Diggins! Great opportunity to get other players to handle the rock.

On Saturday, their game against Grambling is against a much more traditionally sized team, so that allows a tune up for the bigs:

View attachment 71424

On Tuesday, rest the bigs & Cole/Martin, let the guards fly and help develop some more confidence handling the ball!

Like the idea to get minutes for Diggins and Hawkins. We'll be so much better if they can play significant minutes in March. We need ballhandling, distribution, and shooting.

Don't see why that needs to imply minimal minutes for the upperclassmen. Everyone has things they need to work on, and this game gives chances to do that.

Reaction Score
I would only make lineup adjustments if necessary for defense, not offense. Our bigger lineup can punish them on the offensive boards.

Their 6'5" big doesn't really shoot but is a good rebounder, so we can/should leave a big in as a rim protector/rebounder (though the backup does and will drag our big out).

Reaction Score

View attachment 71423

Why does this matter?

PLAY SMALL!

Why is this important?

View attachment 71424

No Akok? Seriously? Id rather go Diggins, Hawk, Ajax, Akok and Johnson/Springs. I think you go with your starters most of the first have and build a big lead. Then play the starters till the first tv timeout and then sit them the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
Is the game on CBS Sports Network? Is there any hope for us non-subscribers? I have DirectTV Stream.

Reaction Score
Is the game on CBS Sports Network? Is there any hope for us non-subscribers? I have DirectTV Stream.
Yeah CBS SN. You need Ultimate or Premier level DTV Stream packages to get it there. FuboTV 1-week free trial I believe includes it.

Reaction Score
I think you let Sanogo get his 20pts. Otherwise I agree, get some of the guards in rhythm.

We have the height for our 2/3 players to post up a la Nova and Gillespie. We’ve seen Martin do it. I’d like to see Gaffney try to add this to his game when matched up with a smaller guard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd start Jackson at PG, Hawk at SG, Martin at SF, Sanogo and Akok. Just to mess with them. Just play volleyball and toss it around over their heads and dunk each possession.

On a serious note: going small to counter a small team is stupid. It's what lost us the St. Johns game. Punish small teams with your superior size.

Reaction Score
Good looking out - thanks. I did the free week.

Yeah CBS SN. You need Ultimate or Premier level DTV Stream packages to get it there. FuboTV 1-week free trial I believe includes it.

Reaction Score
I’ve got two tickets available to tonight’s game if anyone is interested. Section 112 Row N,can’t make it and just don’t want to see them go to waste.

Reaction Score
Ideally, you put the game out of reach in the first half with mostly starters. They play enough to get in some work and break a sweat. The second half is for the frosh.

Reaction Score
I’ve got two tickets available to tonight’s game if anyone is interested. Section 112 Row N,can’t make it and just don’t want to see them go to waste.
Update: These are taken.

Reaction Score
With their limited size you would assume they double Sanogo. Feed him and tell him to pass out of every double team, he needs reps doing this badly. Him just dominating 6'5 guys does nothing for anyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom