Scouting Seton Hall | The Boneyard

Scouting Seton Hall

Reaction Score
Can't wait to watch in person!

Schedule (10-3)
  • 29th toughest schedule
  • Best OOC wins over Texas, Michigan, California, Rutgers, Wagner and Yale (all top 150 teams)
  • OOC losses
    • 11/22 76-79 to Ohio State. Ohio State was 11-22 from deep while Seton Hall was 5-23. EJ Liddell had a heck of a game
    • 12/29 65-70 to Providence. Providence had five scorers in double digits led by Noah Horchler. Seton Hall was 4-19 from deep.
    • 1/1 67-73 to Villanova. Hall shot well from deep (7-19), but only 40% from two. Starting lineup only had 33 points total. 21 from Gillespie.
Roster Report
  • 29th tallest team in the NCAA
  • Their small lineup has Aiken and Harris in the backcourt with Rhoden and Yetna at the 4 & 5
  • Their big lineup includes Richmond at the point, Cale/Rhoden at wings and take your pick with any of their F/Bigs. 6’6, 6’6, 6’6, 6’8-6’10, 6’10-7’2
  • Last I checked, Tyrese Samuel is a GTD. He hasn’t played since 12/12 (for reasons unknown).

1641581769656.png

Offense: 40th in KenPom efficiency
  • Rhoden is their leading scorer (16.4p), but only about a ½ of shots from deep and leads team in FTAs.
  • Aiken averages 12.2. About half shots from deep and 2nd in team in FTAs.
  • Next six scorers average between 6.9 ppg (Richmond) and 10.8 ppg (Samuel)
  • Obiagu is their only rotation player who does not average a 3pa/game.
  • They play fast (33rd in offensive tempo)
  • They don’t turn the ball over (21st lowest turnover %)
  • They get to the line well (61st FTA/FGA ratio)
  • They are 227th in fg% including an ugly 29.8 from deep (302th in nation)
  • Just an OK offensive rebounding team (140th in offensive rebound %)
Defense: 22nd in KenPom efficiency
  • Four defenders average 1.5+ steals/game (Rhoden, Aiken, RIchmond, Cale)
  • Obiagu is an elite rim protector (2.6 blocks/game) while Samuel is good (1.2 blocks/game), if he plays.
  • Elite perimeter D (7th in nation in opponents 3p% at 25.9%). Opponents only shoot 31.9% of their shots from three, which is the 31st lowest rate nationally.
  • Excellent defensive rebounding (28th defensive rebounding rate)
  • They don’t cause a lot of turnovers (174th in turnover rate). If they do cause turnovers, its from blocks and steals. Their non-steal TO% is just 281st in the nation.
  • When they get teams to the line, they tend to foul the good shooters (78.9 opponents’ ft%).

Reaction Score
Aiken and Yetna are their key guys even though neither are their leading scorers. Aiken has a bit of Shabazz in his game, but he can go on long cold streaks. I think we’re one of the lengthier teams on defense they will face all year so hopefully our length bothers them.

Reaction Score
No way around it - this is going to be a tough game. It would be one of the more difficult games on our schedule this year even if we weren't coming off a COVID pause with a potentially limited roster.

A win here would be huge. Last year's win @Seton Hall was probably our most important win of the year, save maybe that USC game. Nice that our guys have recent experience playing in this building too. Should be a decent contigent of UConn fans there too.

Reaction Score
do we have any idea who's available?
I haven't seen anything, outside of reporting that Sanogo is dealing with a hamstring issue (as well as getting over the abdominal strain). Cole and Martin both spoke to the media in person, so they should be good.

Hopefully the full team is good to go. Expecting that Hurley will keep it a secret until before tip either way, per usual.

Reaction Score

Schedule (10-3)
  • 29th toughest schedule
  • Best OOC wins over Texas, Michigan, California, Rutgers, Wagner and Yale (all top 150 teams)
  • OOC losses
    • 11/22 76-79 to Ohio State. Ohio State was 11-22 from deep while Seton Hall was 5-23. EJ Liddell had a heck of a game
    • 12/29 65-70 to Providence. Providence had five scorers in double digits led by Noah Horchler. Seton Hall was 4-19 from deep.
    • 1/1 67-73 to Villanova. Hall shot well from deep (7-19), but only 40% from two. Starting lineup only had 33 points total. 21 from Gillespie.
Roster Report
  • Their small lineup has Aiken and Harris in the backcourt with Rhoden and Yetna at the 4 & 5
  • Their big lineup includes Richmond at the point, Cale/Rhoden at wings and take your pick with any of their F/Bigs. 6’6, 6’6, 6’6, 6’8-6’10, 6’10-7’2
  • Last I checked, Tyrese Samuel is a GTD. He hasn’t played since 12/12 (for reasons unknown).

View attachment 72306

• Rhoden is their leading scorer (16.4p), but only about a ½ of shots from deep and leads team in FTAs.
  • Obiagu is an elite rim protector (2.6 blocks/game) while Samuel is good (1.2 blocks/game), if he plays.
  • Elite perimeter D (7th in nation in opponents 3p% at 25.9%). Opponents only shoot 31.9% of their shots from three, which is the 31st lowest rate nationally.
  • They don’t cause a lot of turnovers (174th in turnover rate). If they do cause turnovers, its from blocks and steals. Their non-steal TO% is just 281st in the nation.
  • When they get teams to the line, they tend to foul the good shooters (78.9 opponents’ ft%).
I always like reading your scouting reports. So far this year I have watched Seton Hall a lot and this scouting report jives with what I have seen.
Where do you get this report and/or get these advanced stats? Is it all from KenPom? Is it free or do you have paid membership or something?
I know those are a lot of questions.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Looking forward to this. Need to make a decision. I get on a flight at 12:10 tomorrow. Game should be available in flight. Or I can wait and DVR it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Looking forward to this. Need to make a decision. I get on a flight at 12:10 tomorrow. Game should be available in flight. Or I can wait and DVR it.
Your flight likely will be delayed so you can catch the first half.

Reaction Score
hopefully they have tvs in the seat-backs w/ live tv otherwise the wifi isnt fast enough to stream games on your devices, at least in my experience

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Your flight likely will be delayed so you can catch the first half.
I can’t watch it in the airport, so hopefully no delay.
hopefully they have tvs in the seat-backs w/ live tv otherwise the wifi isnt fast enough to stream games on your devices, at least in my experience
That’s the concern. No seat back but they do say they have live TV. I think it’s the LA or NY Fox station. Will test it at least. Not using their Wi-Fi.

Reaction Score
Crazy to think that we'll play at the Prudential Center twice in four games.

As Dan Hurley says, "I'm from here,"

Reaction Score
Aiken and Yetna are their key guys even though neither are their leading scorers. Aiken has a bit of Shabazz in his game, but he can go on long cold streaks. I think we’re one of the lengthier teams on defense they will face all year so hopefully our length bothers them.
Have to force them to be a pull up jump shooting team. They like to get to the line and they make them when they get there. Have to play solid D. Rhoden is aggressive and Aiken is crafty.

Reaction Score

Schedule (10-3)
  • 29th toughest schedule
  • OOC losses
Roster Report

View attachment 72306

With a breakdown like this, you need to give a prediction summary ! Good job

Reaction Score
With a breakdown like this, you need to give a prediction summary ! Good job
Haha, thanks.

I'm having a hard read on this game, simply because of the balanced roster makeup of Seton Hall.

They have a legit nine-man rotation and a nearly democratic approach to playing time as eight of their nine players average between 17-26 minutes.

They're big, but we also have the size to match. I like the Martin/Rhoden matchup while we have the bigs to match up to Hall's quartet of bigs. Cole matches up nicely w/ Aiken. The X-factor is Jackson at the 2. When he's on the court, his switchability allows him to help out defending wings like Rhoden and Richmond but he's athletic enough to stick with a perimeter shooter like Harris when Seton Hall goes small.

Like many on here think, the Covid pause has got me tentative to the point of just wanting a hard fought game.

My prediction? We win the game if:
  • We shoot better from three than they do (not a huge ask)
  • Sanogo plays 100% of the time when Obiagu is off the court (IO has never played more than 28 minutes/game) and when that occurs, pound the ball inside.
  • We have more points off turnovers than they do (also, not a huge ask)
  • We have a positive rebound margin (a harder ask)

Reaction Score
With Cale likely on RJ.. Got to have help from our other guards/wings. Could see AJ being the X factor today with a big game--Esp if AS can't give us a lot of minutes.

Reaction Score
Tough team and will be extremely hard to win with long layoff and concerns about Adama and other covid issues but the grind starts again after the pause and hoping all players are ready for this reboot. Hall was also down a couple of key players when they lost to PC.

Reaction Score
Need either Hawkins or Polley to shoot lights out. Need that unforeseen X factor to win today.

Reaction Score
So, Martin looks like a good matchup for Rhoden. Put AJax on Richmond and Cole on Aiken. Yetna will be a challenge when he's at the 4 if Sanogo isn't on the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom