OT: - Scouting Hits and Misses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Scouting Hits and Misses

Reaction Score
Stanley Johnson. Went to Mater Dei in SoCal, led the team to four straight state Open-class titles. He seemed to be all-everything, smart, fast, huge hops, heck of a defender.

I was absolutely sure he'd get to the HOF. Um... Not even close. He did get into the league and stuck around for all or part of eight seasons, but in his best year, he started 50 games and scored 8.7 per game. Other years, not even that "good".

Pretty bad miss...

On the other hand, I correctly nailed Jason Kidd's future... I was telling everyone who would listen that he was a surefire first-year-eligible HOF'er. Before he ever even played in college. And that's exactly what happened.

Whenever I happen to mention this story to people, they tend to react with: "Wow, you must know a lot about basketball!"

My standard answer to that is... "Not really, I can just spot the obvious." Others were playing checkers and Kidd was playing 3D chess. He was just THAT good!

Reaction Score
Stanley Johnson. Went to Mater Dei in SoCal, led the team to four straight state Open-class titles. He seemed to be all-everything, smart, fast, huge hops, heck of a defender.

I was absolutely sure he'd get to the HOF. Um... Not even close. He did get into the league and stuck around for all or part of eight seasons, but in his best year, he started 50 games and scored 8.7 per game. Other years, not even that "good".

Pretty bad miss...

On the other hand, I correctly nailed Jason Kidd's future... I was telling everyone who would listen that he was a surefire first-year-eligible HOF'er. Before he ever even played in college. And that's exactly what happened.

Whenever I happen to mention this story to people, they tend to react with: "Wow, you must know a lot about basketball!"

My standard answer to that is... "Not really, I can just spot the obvious." Others were playing checkers and Kidd was playing 3D chess. He was just THAT good!
LOL I remember when Jaylen Brown entered the league I thought he was a poor man's Stanley Johnson

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Jaylen Brown and Luka are 2 good ones for me, I felt those 2 guys would be problems and they both are.

Funny, Stanley Johnson I’m on board there too, but all those AZ guys! Derrick Williams, SJ, Ayton, I thought they’d all be very good pros.

Reaction Score
Bouk is my biggest miss ever. The talent was certainly there, but not the work ethic or focus. I hope he catches on somewhere overseas at a minimum.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Pretty bad miss...

Stanley is a good one. The hype going into his freshman year carried into his draft cycle. I was a believer.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Jaylen Brown and Luka are 2 good ones for me, I felt those 2 guys would be problems and they both are.

Funny, Stanley Johnson I’m on board there too, but all those AZ guys! Derrick Williams, SJ, Ayton, I thought they’d all be very good pros.
I still can’t believe Derrick Williams wasn’t a good pro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom