OT: Scotch thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Reaction Score
I will definitely try it out.

Darnedest thing happened....whenever a bottle gets near empty, I dump the last inch into another bottle. Over the course of time, that bottle became a full bottle. And it’s amazing.

I didn’t put anything with any smoke in it out of fear that it would take over. (Plus, as time goes on, I really do not enjoy that as much anymore. I won’t be replacing the Lagavulin when it’s gone.) But I did pour the remains of Nikka, Westland, Westward, Balcones, Monkey Shoulder, Breckenridge and probably something else I am forgetting.
Johnnie Walker would probably like to make you a paid spokesperson for blended whisky which has, in general, fallen out of favor!

Reaction Score
I needed to hit the meat market in Branford on my way home yesterday and stopped into Coastal next door to check out their whiskey selection because my Lagavulin and Ardbeg An Oa are both almost kicked and I want to start working in another bottle of something.

I was shocked to see that they didn't have a single Lagavulin bottle except for the GoT version, and not a single bottle of any Nikka, period. This is one of the largest and best booze retailers in CT with three different stores. Glad I stocked up on the Nikka when I did!

Anyway, based on liking it so much at the Scotch tasting my friend hosted a couple weeks ago, I picked up a bottle of the Auchentostan Three Wood, a Lowland Scotch that is triple distilled (like Irish whiskey) and then aged in three different barrels (12 years in bourbon barrels; then two different sherry casks). This is almost decadent. Very nice and deceptively smooth and sweet sipper, like a velvet fist.

@Fishy , I think you would like this one.

auchentoshan-3-wood-single-malt-scotch-whisky-botle.png
Stumbled on this bottle in an unlikely place.. Local liquor store not known for high end scotch..Bought it and took it for a test drive with my Glencairn glasses.. Very interesting taste but must treat with the utmost respect or you'll end up indulging more than you should.
This is definitely a bottle where your drinking vessel substantially impacts your drinking experience. Cheers.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Stumbled on this bottle in an unlikely place.. Local liquor store not known for high end scotch..Bought it and took it for a test drive with my Glencairn glasses.. Very interesting taste but most treat with the utmost respect or you'll end up indulging more than you should.
This is definitely a bottle where your drinking vessel substantially impacts your drinking experience. Cheers.
I have been going through it faster than my other bottles. To your point, I almost never stop at one with this one. As a result it’s only got about 40% or less left in the bottle.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Darnedest thing happened....whenever a bottle gets near empty, I dump the last inch into another bottle. Over the course of time, that bottle became a full bottle. And it’s amazing.

I didn’t put anything with any smoke in it out of fear that it would take over. (Plus, as time goes on, I really do not enjoy that as much anymore. I won’t be replacing the Lagavulin when it’s gone.) But I did pour the remains of Nikka, Westland, Westward, Balcones, Monkey Shoulder, Breckenridge and probably something else I am forgetting.
I still like going back and forth between Islays on certain nights and anything else on others, but I like having more than one Islay so I’m not always hitting the Lagavulin. I recently kicked my Ardbeg An Oa so I picked up a bottle of Caol Ila 12 year last week because I found it in the low-$60s and always like that one when I can find it for a reasonable price. I’ve been seeing for $75+ at other places in the past year so I was happy to grab it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

You should write down the recipe.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Johnnie Walker would probably like to make you a paid spokesperson for blended whisky which has, in general, fallen out of favor!

Compass Box made blends popular again with single malt drinkers. But they are pretty unique. They have put out some amazing stuff. Way more blended Scotch is sold than single malt. Just like Budweiser sells more than craft beer places. The name for what Fishy did is an infinity bottle.

@8893 if you like An Oa I liked Wee Beastie better and it’s cheaper. I also like the Port Charlotte stuff quite a bit for peated.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You should write down the recipe.

You mean I should have written down the recipe...because I didn’t and I have no real hope of remembering it completely.

I basically remember most of what went in, just not really the amounts. I did avoid actual Scotch for the most part - I would say that the Monkey Shoulder is really the only thing from Scotland in there. I also tried to avoid stuff that had too much of a sherry cask influence.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Any Talisker fans here? That is pretty much my house Scotch. It’s pretty well priced and has a lightly peated maritime profile. I have loved visiting the isle of Skye really like it anyway.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Any Talisker fans here? That is pretty much my house Scotch. It’s pretty well priced and has a lightly peated maritime profile. I have loved visiting the isle of Skye really like it anyway.

I have never tried any of them...I should. In a rut right now where I just am not enjoying anything with peat.

Personally, the rum is head and shoulders for me.

I’m not quite sure what to say about the Port Finish yet. I had it before, but this is batch 8 and it’s... “something.” Honestly, it’s almost just a rye.

I’m guessing these port barrels were not on their first or second fill here.

(Edit: The Port Cask needs a bit of water - becomes something much different.)

Need to revisit this one.

Ever notice how some bottles change pretty dramatically once there’s a little air in the bottle? I feel like the Port Cask did just that. The rye is definitely more noticeable than the Rum Cask and the port is not as prominent as the rum, but for $50, definitely worth a buy.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have never tried any of them...I should. In a rut right now where I just am not enjoying anything with peat.

Need to revisit this one.

Ever notice how some bottles change pretty dramatically once there’s a little air in the bottle? I feel like the Port Cask did just that. The rye is definitely more noticeable than the Rum Cask and the port is not as prominent as the rum, but for $50, definitely worth a buy.

Talisker 10 is a gem and not expensive. It has mild peat but also a lemony and peppery character. The peat doesn’t overwhelm the malt.

Definitely agree air time can make a huge difference with some bottles. I find it more with bourbon and rye than with Scotch. The oxidation can bring out more nuanced flavors like it does in wine.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Talisker 10 is a gem and not expensive. It has mild peat but also a lemony and peppery character. The peat doesn’t overwhelm the malt.

Definitely agree air time can make a huge difference with some bottles. I find it more with bourbon and rye than with Scotch. The oxidation can bring out more nuanced flavors like it does in wine.

Yep.

In this instance, with the Breckenridge, it really essentially is a bourbon.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yep.

In this instance, with the Breckenridge, it really essentially is a bourbon.
Here’s an unintentional experiment I’ve been doing: I sometimes fall asleep mid-drink at the end of the night, and I am such a cheap bastard that I won’t throw away the drink if it’s a neat whisky/whiskey, which it usually is. But I don’t want to pour it back in if it’s been sitting out for an hour or more because it would change what’s in the bottle; so I put the Glencairn or NEAT glass with the remaining whisky/whiskey back in my liquor cabinet. I usually drink it the next night and it tastes totally different—much more mellow.

And yeah, in the case of the Breckinridge Rum Cask, it tastes a lot more like plain ol’ bourbon the next night.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Here’s an unintentional experiment I’ve been doing: I sometimes fall asleep mid-drink at the end of the night, and I am such a cheap bastard that I won’t throw away the drink if it’s a neat whisky/whiskey, which it usually is. But I don’t want to pour it back in if it’s been sitting out for an hour or more because it would change what’s in the bottle; so I put the Glencairn or NEAT glass with the remaining whisky/whiskey back in my liquor cabinet. I usually drink it the next night and it tastes totally different—much more mellow.

And yeah, in the case of the Breckinridge Rum Cask, it tastes a lot more like plain ol’ bourbon the next night.

I find that happening to me as well. I just leave it in the Glencairn. Always fine the next evening. Some things are better. Some loose that edge they had. Peat will fade a bit. Consider it a science experiment, not a sign we are getting old.

Adjunct flavors in beer, like coffee, fade even while it ages in the bottle. So it makes some sense that the port or rum cask flavors might fade.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You definitely have more discipline than me. Rarely see a reason to extend the wee dram into the next night.LOL

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh, yeah. I always leave the glass half-finished. Can totally relate.

No, no I cannot.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You definitely have more discipline than me. Rarely see a reason to extend the wee dram into the next night.LOL

Oh, yeah. I always leave the glass half-finished. Can totally relate.

No, no I cannot.
It‘s not discipline. I’m talking about waking up in the recliner sometime between 12:30 and 2:00 with a nice pour still in your glass. If you guys down it then, more power to you. That’s never even a consideration for me at that point.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It‘s not discipline. I’m talking about waking up in the recliner sometime between 12:30 and 2:00 with a nice pour still in your glass. If you guys down it then, more power to you. That’s never even a consideration for me at that point.

I did this binge watching Cobra Kai. Slept through 3 episodes which Netflix just keeps playing. Like you, I leave what’s in the glass in the glass. Except my water of course.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Most recent bottle acquisition was a sentimental rather than rational choice. Torabhaig is a new distillery on the Isle of Skye (making it the 2nd, to Talisker). They just released their first whisky, so I bought it. It's expensive at $65 for a 3 year old single malt. It's actually quite nice, a little peated, lemon custard, better than I expected given the age. Once this stuff hits 8-10 years its going to be really good.

feb21-torabhaig2017 (2).jpg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
For all of you who like Nikka From the Barrel, and that overall profile, I have a very cheap Irish Whiskey suggestion. Roe & Co. I grabbed it because it was $34 and, what the hell? Really pleasantly surprised by this. It has that creamy, honey, vanilla rich profile I get from Nikka. I think it's from the mostly first fill ex-bourbon casks. I'll probably go get two more this weekend.

Dublin’s Newest Whiskey Tour | Roe and Co Distillery (roeandcowhiskey.com)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I drained my Auchentoshan Three Wood faster than I have drained any bottle in recent memory. It ain't cheap but it will have to be replaced.

I have a friend who drinks Johnny Black in a lowball glass packed with crushed ice and when I meet him for lunch I always join him by starting with one of those. I did that last week and it gave me a hankering to have a nice blend on hand when I want to drink something on the rocks, so I replenished my Famous Grouse and have already put quite a dent in that. I had forgotten how easily it goes down that way.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I drained my Auchentoshan Three Wood faster than I have drained any bottle in recent memory. It ain't cheap but it will have to be replaced.

I have a friend who drinks Johnny Black in a lowball glass packed with crushed ice and when I meet him for lunch I always join him by starting with one of those. I did that last week and it gave me a hankering to have a nice blend on hand when I want to drink something on the rocks, so I replenished my Famous Grouse and have already put quite a dent in that. I had forgotten how easily it goes down that way.

That's the role that new Irish fills for me. I have a lot of cask strength stuff, barrel proof or high proof bourbon or rye and I need something else to reach for. Honestly the Torabhaig is doing that duty too, even if I don't usually want a $65 bottle in that role.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I have actually never had any scotch in a glassful of crushed ice. But I do have a handle of Grouse. I usually do one small cube, but maybe tonight I'll be adventurous.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have actually never had any scotch in a glassful of crushed ice. But I do have a handle of Grouse. I usually do one small cube, but maybe tonight I'll be adventurous.
I thought it would actually make me drink slower because it keeps giving me something to sip on until the ice melts. But once I started pouring my own I saw how much Scotch it takes to cover the ice. Looks like at least a triple.

Oh well, at least I am hydrating.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I thought it would actually make me drink slower because it keeps giving me something to sip on until the ice melts. But once I started pouring my own I saw how much Scotch it takes to cover the ice. Looks like at least a triple.

Oh well, at least I am hydrating.

I really wish I knew in my 20s what I know now about hydration while drinking. Although Bud Light is fairly hydrating I suppose.

Do we need a wine thread? Have we ever had a wine thread?

Reaction Score
I've been looking to reward myself for getting promoted back in March, but struggling with what to get. I've been putting aside $5-$10 here and there and have a MAX $150 budget.

I am an Islay fan first and foremost but enjoy Speysides and Island whiskies. Anyone ever have the Adbeg Perpetuum or Grooves? Never heard of them. I had a bottle of Airigh Nam Beist and Uigeadail in the past and really enjoyed them. Local Shop also has Laphroaig LORE, 16 year and 10 year Sherry Oak.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom