Scotch or Irish Whiskey (90 minute thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Scotch or Irish Whiskey (90 minute thread)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Definitely worth a try..Remember ..If you do end up buying a bottle of the CC.. It's a marathon not a sprint!
I have time. I wish Balvenie's website had a Scotch Finder,

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have time. I wish Balvenie's website had a Scotch Finder,
If you're looking for the Caribbean Cask, Coastal in Branford has it for $87; Total Wine in Milford has it for $68.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If you're looking for the Caribbean Cask, Coastal in Branford has it for $87; Total Wine in Milford has it for $68.
North Madison packy carries it and will have it back in stock soon. Was at Coastal yesterday. Dang.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
North Madison packy carries it and will have it back in stock soon. Was at Coastal yesterday. Dang.
Now thinking North Madison will be highest price.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Now thinking North Madison will be highest price.
Mos def. I like Bob but his space limitations result in limited inventory and frequently higher prices. He does try to please everyone if he can within his limitations and I appreciate that, but for a picky fark like me it often meant he didn’t have everything I wanted. Mrs. 8893 and our cousin continue to be big fans though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
PS: @Dove , I would call Wine Exchange, then maybe Spirits of Madison.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Mos def. I like Bob but his space limitations result in limited inventory and frequently higher prices. He does try to please everyone if he can within his limitations and I appreciate that, but for a picky fark like me it often meant he didn’t have everything I wanted. Mrs. 8893 and our cousin continue to be big fans though.
His shop is my Aspetuck beer honey hole.

Reaction Score
Just picked up a bottle of green spot and now I'm making a list of BY recommendations...so good I'm going to pour myself another

I'm an equal opportunity whiskey/whisky drinker and this is easily one of the best I've had

Reaction Score
This thread will live for 90 minutes and then be locked.

Going to the liquor store in 90 minutes.

Tell me which bottle of Scotch or Irish Whiskey to buy. I don’t want to play 20 questions about what my preferences are, so don’t ask any.
Go to Costco and buy Kirkland Irish whiskey. 4 year old with excellent reviews and at less than half the costs In Connecticut than Powers, Jameson etc.

Reaction Score
Aged in rum casks, and very smooth with flavor to spare.
CC is awesome with the rum cask treatment..BTW..Different lane..Different spirit.. Similar concept..For those Bourbon Whiskey fans.. There are some Tequila producers putting out some exceptional extra anejos aged in Bourbon casks to round off the finish.... Smooth sipping stuff.. Proceed with caution.. Stay thirsty my friends..

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Is this thread just a thinly veiled cover to gin up some ads from whiskey makers?

Reaction Score
Kikland 4 YR old
Costco

Excellent and soo low priced. Switched from Powers

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Another possibility for low-cost, solid quality whisky is Teacher's blended Scotch.

I was in a wedding party at Borthwick Castle outside Edinburgh (really great spot), and instead of a bachelor party, the groom brought in a Scotch whisky consultant (guy wrote reviews, and provided consulting for distilleries) and we had a whisky tasting. The consultant told us with the exception of professional tasting and special events, Teacher's is one of his go-to whiskies at home.

Attachments

• teachers-1l.jpg
    teachers-1l.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 174
Reaction Score
In true BY fashion, I recommend this:

View attachment 54613

It is neither scotch nor Irish whiskey, and generally not available in the US, so it seems like a typical suggestion.
Blanton's is much more common than you think. Total Wine has it as do state stores as well as package stores and bars. It is a bourbon. I've had it plenty of times and it is tasty. I even have the complete set of corks that spell Blantons. Everyone must have goals!

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Blanton's is much more common than you think. Total Wine has it as do state stores as well as package stores and bars. It is a bourbon. I've had it plenty of times and it is tasty. I even have the complete set of corks that spell Blantons. Everyone must have goals!
The "regular" Blanton's used to be easier to come by. But at least around here, you basically have to put your name on a list at a store and wait for some to surface.

You probably know this, but if you send the set of tops back to Buffalo Trace, they'll mount them on a barrel stave...kinda neat.

image-asset.jpeg

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
$75 at Thats the Spirit in Essex. I like the owner so will get it there.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
i put my name on the Blanton's rotating wait list today at one of the two local stores that tries to stock it. They said they typically get 1-2 bottles per week (seems odd, but whatever). I'm #52 on the list. It may be "much more common than you think" where you live. If so, PM me and I'll happily pay you to send me a few bottles!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
$75 at Thats the Spirit in Essex. I like the owner so will get it there.
He dropped $5 bucks off at the register cuz...I'm Dove.

$70!!

Will sip some by the fire tonight.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just thought of another option that's neither Scotch nor Irish nor bourbon, if it's available: Westlake American Oak. I had this at The Whisky Bar in Seattle three years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Pricey though.

I saw it yesterday and forgot to buy it. Was not terribly expensive - but it’s Westland American Oak. Westlake American Oak, oddly enough, is a line of bedroom furniture and is considerably more expensive.

What happened to 90 minute? Or has minute turned to day?

The timeline has shifted.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
That means you must have picked a good scotch or Irish whiskey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom