Scotch or Irish Whiskey (90 minute thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Scotch or Irish Whiskey (90 minute thread)

Reaction Score
Have you ever had tanqueray 10? Barr Hill out of Vermont?
I've finally started drinking good gin on the rocks without tonic. Not sure what took me so long
Don’t know either. Stopped drinking tanqueray 20 years ago. Thx for suggestions. Being Polish vodka is in my genes and gin is basically flavored vodka so can drink it all night long. Bourbon and scotch not so much.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
90 minute IPA beers are great.

Lots of options. Have at it.

Reaction Score
Don’t know either. Stopped drinking tanqueray 20 years ago. Thx for suggestions. Being Polish vodka is in my genes and gin is basically flavored vodka so can drink it all night long. Bourbon and scotch not so much.
I know about 5 people who drink Gin. Every time I have them try Tang 10 for the first time they've all loved it.
I was at Grant's back in the day, asked for a tangueray and tonic and was like WOAH. And they said yeah, we have tang 10.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Have you ever had tanqueray 10? Barr Hill out of Vermont?
I've finally started drinking good gin on the rocks without tonic. Not sure what took me so long

Yes. And yes.

We have a bottle of Barr Hill.

If you’re going drink one on the rocks, Barr Hill is a good one - it’s almost like a liqueur.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
View attachment 54615

Peat, minerals, a hint of the ocean. My fav right Scotch now.

I had 3 bottles brought back from the talisker distillery in Scotland to me a few months ago. That’s a great one . The others were the Skye and 18 year. I think I liked storm the best. You can definitely taste the sea.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I had 3 bottles brought back from the talisker distillery in Scotland to me a few months ago. That’s a great one . The others were the Skye and 18 year. I think I liked storm the best. You can definitely taste the sea.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to have them include ‘mermaid’s vagina’ in the tasting notes.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Last New Year's Eve I went to the host's (great guy!!) licquor cabinet to look at his bourbon stock. There was an unopened bottle of Kavalan whiskey from Korea. So, I opened it not knowing it was $350. It was nectar. Smooth and crushable. It may have been the Solist scotch whiskey.

Last edited:

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
In true BY fashion, I recommend this:

View attachment 54613

It is neither scotch nor Irish whiskey, and generally not available in the US, so it seems like a typical suggestion.
Not available in US? This is my usual here in Baghdad by The Bay.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yes. And yes.

We have a bottle of Barr Hill.

If you’re going drink one on the rocks, Barr Hill is a good one - it’s almost like a liqueur.

Martin Miller's. My summer weapon of choice. Outstanding.

Reaction Score

Yeah I love that about it - I'd love to get out there one day! In some UConn gear of course haha.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I see we've run through some gin options. My dad was always a traditional London dry gin guy, Beefeater. That's my basic go-to for G&T. Moving up from there, Hendricks and Bombay Sapphire both make a mean martini, and a friend gave me a bottle of a French gin, Citadelle, that I have not yet tapped into. YMMV, but IMO Tanqueray is toilet water, I won't drink it.

This article gives the history of the G&T, courtesy of the Royal Navy. Meanwhile, Save The British Juniper!

Damn, I sound like an alcoholic MD with all the posts on this thread. I probably have 3 or 4 beverages per week max, beer included, rarely during the week. Perhaps a few more in the current situation....... ;)

Reaction Score
06C43115-5793-4613-8F6E-581FDBBA3B15.jpeg

DALTX

I don't have a hobby, I watch UConn
Reaction Score
Not for fishy's inquiry in the OP, and it's certainly not whiskey, but thinking of Irish whiskey reminded me of this new find for me last year. I've never really been an Irish cream liqueur (e.g., Bailey's) guy, but my mother in law got this for me for Christmas and I almost nailed it in one sitting:

11785441280030.png

Makes Bailey's obsolete.

DALTX

I don't have a hobby, I watch UConn
Reaction Score
Teelings Small Batch for Irish. Waiting for Lagavulin 16 to drop a bit before I try it. In the meantime, Balcones Texas Single Malt or Macallan 12 or Caol Ila 12.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Makes Bailey's obsolete.

Back when I was into Bailey's, I learned how to make my own. It's not difficult. Only thing I did differently was use a liquid coffee concentrate (think cold brew concentrate) or a couple of shots of espresso instead of blech instant coffee granules. DIY allows you to control the coffee/chocolate/vanilla taste as well as alcohol content.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom