Scotch or Irish Whiskey (90 minute thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Scotch or Irish Whiskey (90 minute thread)

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Though you've likely come back already with something, next time I'd heartily recommend Midleton's Very Rare. Nice vanilla aftertaste, smoother than a baby's ass, virtually no bite at all ... perfect for a quiet night in front of a fire, or just to sip on while you watch the neighbors struggle with putting up a shade umbrella or pull a weed. Of course, at about $230 a bottle (depending on where you live), you might think twice about knocking off several drinks in one night. To that end, Tullamore Dew offers much the same effect and taste for about $25 a bottle. Was able to visit the Tullamore Dew distillery in ---wait for it --- the town of Tullamore about 30 miles west of Dublin. Fascinating to watch it made. Even better to taste it again after the tour. Slainte!!!

Reaction Score
Though you've likely come back already with something, next time I'd heartily recommend Midleton's Very Rare. Nice vanilla aftertaste, smoother than a baby's ass, virtually no bite at all ... perfect for a quiet night in front of a fire, or just to sip on while you watch the neighbors struggle with putting up a shade umbrella or pull a weed. Of course, at about $230 a bottle (depending on where you live), you might think twice about knocking off several drinks in one night. To that end, Tullamore Dew offers much the same effect and taste for about $25 a bottle. Was able to visit the Tullamore Dew distillery in ---wait for it --- the town of Tullamore about 30 miles west of Dublin. Fascinating to watch it made. Even better to taste it again after the tour. Slainte!!!
Midleton ..the Big Brother of Jameson.. If I'm going to spend that kind of money.. I might save myself $75 on the bottle (for Midleton) and go with a $75 porterhouse and a bottle of Johnny Blue.. Know what I'm sayin'??

Reaction Score
Midleton ..the Big Brother of Jameson.. If I'm going to spend that kind of money.. I might save myself $75 on the bottle (for Midleton) and go with a $75 porterhouse and a bottle of Johnny Blue.. Know what I'm sayin'??
Grey Goose you should be ashamed of yourself!

Reaction Score
In retrospect, I could have waited 91 minutes. It would have been the same thing as the people here giving vacation advice six weeks after the vacation.

Reaction Score
Never had Irish. What's it like??

My wife, however, had some Red Breast out on MV last year and was immediately smashed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Monkey Shoulder

Have it...not a fan. It's been relegated to waiting for scotch and sodas when the inlaws are down.

If you haven't tried Monkey Shoulder, you should. It's a good value, quality blended malt Scotch. Otherwise, if you don't have Oban, it's a nice mellow drinker. Or if you like peat, but want to venture outside the usual contenders (Ardbeg, Lagavulin etc.), Laphroaig Triple Wood is one of my favs.

I have the Triple Wood and yes, it's terrific.

If you’re a Gin fan, try Monkey 47

I have it - probably going to have some later. It's very good, but not sure it's worth the premium over a whole bunch of other gins.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Never had Irish. What's it like??

My wife, however, had some Red Breast out on MV last year and was immediately smashed.

Having Irish whiskey after a scotch is like having recess the period after physics.

Smoother, more vanilla, and for some. reason, apples.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
tl/dr

Was there a shout out to Canadians?

Reaction Score
I have it - probably going to have some later. It's very good, but not sure it's worth the premium over a whole bunch of other gins.
what are your fav gins? Hendricks for me

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
what are your fav gins? Hendricks for me

Hendricks, especially this time of year.

G&T with a cucumber slice.

Also really, really like Nolet's.

But also Botanist, Brooklyn, Hendrick's Midsummer...

Aviation is also great and just a raging bargain.

Reaction Score

Didn’t know aviation or Nolets. Like Botanist. Thx

Reaction Score

Have you ever had tanqueray 10? Barr Hill out of Vermont?
I've finally started drinking good gin on the rocks without tonic. Not sure what took me so long

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Regarding Jameson I also love their caskmates versions - either IPA or Stout

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange